Forum Index > Gear Talk > Is SPOT worth it?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 7:59 pm 
I got my PLB, registered it with NOAA and tested it successfully. I hope I never need to use it but it feels good to know that I have it if I ever do need it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 pm 
JimK wrote:
ACR runs a spring/summer rebate on the resqlink nearly every year. The $50 rebate ran from 5/1-7/5 this year. I bet it will run again next year. They pay the rebate very fast. I picked one up two years ago. Worth the piece of mind to me, especially as I do a lot of solo hiking.
What do you (anyone?) know about how this interfaces with AAC rescue service where they prefer you to call their coordination point first? And sometime between now and next spring, I'm sure that I'll check in with them on that, but for now, asking to see what (if any) experiences can be discussed here. Thanks all.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 7:45 am 
I've had Spot Gen3 for a few years now for my solo extended LO work stays. Despite clear transmission lines to satellites some messages did not transmit. But what really irritates me is the annual subscription fee increases, and this year a "network maintenance fee". Additionally customer service feels like what I've experienced in the scammy internet, phone, and cable industries. I just want stable and fair pricing, not have to annually negotiate myself free of upselling and unwanted bundling. I'm going with ACR ResQlink. I never needed tracking and the messaging only caused undue concern when the check-in did not transmit. Bub bye Spot.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 pm 
You really need to consider the InReach and their safety plan.