Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cloudy day skiing Pilchuck 6/3/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 10:54 am 
Kenji and I almost bailed on the drive up the Pilchuck road when the mist on the windshield looked more like rain. I'd told Jeff I'd meet him at the trailhead around 9 though so we carried on with the idea that if he didn't show up we might just call it good and go home. He was there with his posse of 3 cute girls (daughter Bree on her 1st Pilchuck ski) gearing up. He laughed at our questioning the weather, guaranteeing we'd climb above the marine layer, so we all headed up along with other friends who showed up.
Alexa, Jeff, Bree
Alexa, Jeff, Bree
The clouds actually helped keep us and the snow cool all day. In the end I also quite liked the atmospheric photos I got. We had a bit of a scare on the steep traverse off of the saddle above Little Pilchuck. A young man in running shoes and shorts tried to descend the steepest part facing out, soon lost his footing and slid uncontrolled down 25 ft. of snow then flew off the short cliff into trees and rocks. I glanced up and just saw flying snow and was amazed to hear him call up that he was fine. His young female friend was still above him and looked like she would have followed his poor example and done the same if it wasn't for a lot of help from two other skiers who were next to her. The loaned her two whip-it ski poles and gave her brief instruction on how to use them and face into the slope carefully kicking her toes into the established foot holds. I helped her get established on the traverse, then Jeff got the poles which we carried up to the other skiers. I hope the two of them learned a lesson - that guy was incredibly lucky not to have been injured.
Lenny atop The Gunsight
Lenny atop The Gunsight
The Gunsight was a bit icy, especially at the bottom where lots of rocks are now showing. It will likely be done for the season after this next sunny spell. We climbed up to Larrison ridge and traversed over to a gully we call The Barrel which was quite good. Met up with a group of 4 at the bottom who joined us for the next run down The Choke. Climbing the icy Gunsight was a bit tricky for our split boarder.
Traverse to The Barrel
Traverse to The Barrel
Traverse to The Barrel
Traverse to The Barrel
Traverse to The Barrel
Traverse to The Barrel
Approaching The Choke
Approaching The Choke
Skiing The Choke
Skiing The Choke
Skiing The Choke
Skiing The Choke
Boarding The Choke
Boarding The Choke
Larrison skied well, but has lots of glide cracks on the roll-overs so don't drop into those too hot without a spot from below.
Skiing The Choke B&W
Skiing The Choke B&W
Pilchuck in the clouds
Pilchuck in the clouds

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 pm 
Was your trip 5/3 or 6/3? Didn't see any people flying off of small cliffs when we were both up there several weeks ago and crossed paths. It kind of amazes me there aren't frequent accidents/SAR missions on Pilchuck given it's popularity, high number of seemingly underprepared hikers, and despite it's modest elevation, no shortage of terrain you can get yourself in trouble in.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 pm 
Oh shoot, now I can't remember if it was you or Jim K. that was skiing up there on my last trip.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 2:19 pm 
Older..., thanks for pointing out my date mistake. That was me last time you were up there. I'm also surprised that more unprepared people don't get rescued off Pilchuck (although it seems about one person dies up there every year). When I caught up with the husband of one of the ladies who helped that girl down he said he was with Mt. Rescue and was up there about once a week in the summer. Right now seems like the trickiest time though - snow has firmed up and that traverse is very steep. The trail there is easy when dry, but I wouldn't want to try it in running shoes without an ice axe or at least a trekking pole.

Shred

Shred
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 10:19 pm 
Fun day with a fun group that kept growing! smile.gif Some nice Photos, Jim! https://vimeo.com/220263816

Kenji

Kenji
PostSun Jun 04, 2017 11:25 pm 
Thanks Jim and Jeff for a fun day on Pilchuck. Here some of my pics.
Lenny down the Gunsight
Lenny down the Gunsight
Misty Pilchuck; Gunsite (right most) and Choke (next left)
Misty Pilchuck; Gunsite (right most) and Choke (next left)
Traverse to the Barrel was interesting:
Ridge walk to the Barrel
Ridge walk to the Barrel
Down the Barrel:
Barrel exit
Barrel exit
Group expanded
Group expanded
Group shot:
Bog hop:

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 7:21 pm 
Thanks for the pics Kenji, I really like the B&W - I always had my camera put away when the mountain came out of the clouds, then it disappeared by the time I got it out and turned on!