Forum Index > Trip Reports > Robinson Mountain, June 3, 2017: third time's the charm!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 9:40 am 
I'm "batting" 1.000 on Shuksan summits(17 for 17), but not so fortunate on many other summits, including this one. For various reasons, I had to try this mountain three times before reaching the summit. That's the way it goes sometimes, right? Last summer we failed at 8,000 feet with a snowstorm coming in. However we noted that there is a good free campsite at the former Robinson Creek campground at the trailhead, so a plan was hatched to do a car camp, a one-day climb, then another car camp. campfire.gif (bring water or use the creek, which was raging due to spring melt). Our party of six from Seattle and Bellingham, some of whom had been on our snowstorm-aborted attempt in July of 2016, assembled with anticipation of a fun time.
The Robinson Creek trail is in great shape, with but one log to cross before the turnoff to the Beauty Creek trail.
Beauty Falls
Beauty Falls
The latter is in fair shape, and the annoying log mentioned in my last summer's report has been chopped and brush next to it cleared, probably by last Fall's hunters. There was some snow remaining in the forest but the path is easy to follow if you think logically. We found no tracks of previous hikers, nor did we see a soul all day. The crossing at 5200' of the outlet of the tarn just before the flowery meadow where you ascend was in full flow, but with careful boot placement, grasping a couple of strategically placed branches, and a pole you can keep your feet dry.
Keep 'em dry, Katy!
Keep 'em dry, Katy!
The flowers in the steep meadow were in full bloom and beautiful, and on this day, we had no bugs (last year in early July the skeeters were abundant and hungry).
the steep meadow
the steep meadow
From the break in slope at the top of the meadow there is continuous snow.
We didn't proceed to the tarn but did a rising traverse on climber's left to the steep snow finger leading to the left-side ridge. We elected to climb the left-side ridge south of the cirque rather than ascend the steep (45-50 degrees with a cornice) headwall... a more direct route... but soft, loose snow and rock bands presented a bad runout. One of our party (K) had climbed Robinson years ago and had used the right-side ridge. Since I have never heard good things about that ridge including from K , and I knew the SE ridge was good from my first attempt 5 or 6 years ago, the left-side ridge was our choice on this day. The SE ridge is a long walk but except for annoying talus, the bane of the Pasayten, presents no difficulties. If you stay close to the ridge crest rather than wandering, the rock is more solid. This is all sedimentary rock of various types with the rare dike of igneous rock intruding, and in places you can find a bright green mineral (malachite, a copper-bearing carbonate). On my first attempt we had been intimidated by the tower barring easy access to the final summit walk. We had had no gear and one of our party tended to be very anxious with exposure, so we bagged it. I wish now we hadn't quit so easily. The first part of the tower is much easier than it looks, being blocky and solid, with plenty of holds and no scary exposure. However, where the ridge narrows above the highest 2 or 3 stunted whitebark pines at 8600', the exposure on both sides in awesome. The climbing is still moderate, being Class 3 as advertised, but since a few of the blocks are loose and it is definitely no fall territory, we set up a fixed rope for our descent. This in the "knife-edge" mentioned in many reports, and is a slightly inclined traverse. We used a 35 m rope, anchored it on both ends, and secured it with 3 or 4 intermediate runners on horns. Except for the first and last people, who were belayed, climbers just clipped to the rope with a carabiner attached to their harness. The fixed rope was overkill, perhaps, but people could relax and enjoy the scramble without fear of pulling a block and bricks.gif then angel.gif If the rock is wet or icy, this part would be considerably more difficult.
RJ with the knife-edge below him on the right
RJ with the knife-edge below him on the right
our route went just to the left of the snow finger.
our route went just to the left of the snow finger.
We found no summit register. There is a nice level gravelly place on the summit with room for two or three for a lying-down bivy. Would be fun!
Dr. Katy
Dr. Katy
high on the mountain
high on the mountain
summit chillin'. Grant, Katy, Craig, RJ, Karl (l-r)
summit chillin'. Grant, Katy, Craig, RJ, Karl (l-r)
RJ and Katy are thinking "let's go climb that!"
RJ and Katy are thinking "let's go climb that!"
Karl
Karl
Grant. He's followed the brushbuffalo into two "bad habits"...climbing and ultrarunning
Grant. He's followed the brushbuffalo into two "bad habits"...climbing and ultrarunning
Repeating our ascent route, the descent from the summit is this: scramble, ridge walk, steep snow, post-holing snow, steep meadow, rough trail, easy trail.....beer, food, campfire! chow.gif campfire.gif epicure.gif
"We were wondering if you'd [i:3d9b2ec77b]ever[/i:3d9b2ec77b] get here, Brushbuffalo!"
"We were wondering if you'd ever get here, Brushbuffalo!"
Although we had splendid weather....never too hot or cold, gentle breezes, sunny.....a slight haze made for less than ideal photography. I'm hoping that others of our party will submit their pictures for your enjoyment! All in all, this was a thoroughly enjoyable day with friends in a splendid area. Thanks, my buds! We left camp a little after 6 a.m. and didn't return until about 8 p.m., a long day with 14.7 miles and around 7,000'. This party would have made the r.t. in 2-4 hours less without the ol' wornout brushbuffalo dragging along. hink.gif Gear: helmet, ice axe, 35 m 8.8 mm rope, 3-4 double runners and biners Hauled but not used: crampons, pickets, second rope, a handful of rock pro, bug dope.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am 
up.gif looking forward to the pics!

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 11:16 am 
Indeed this trip went very well owing to a convergence of favorable conditions, not least of which were ideal weather, high fitness levels (total RT distance, 14.7 miles, total RT elevation gain, 7750’) and a great crew ranging in age from 26 to 69 led by ultra runner legend Doug McKeever AKA BB). A subset of the diverse crew is shown descending the exposed 3rd class knife edge ridge near the summit. From top: RJ Van Liere (architect); Katy Flynn-O’Brien (UW E.R. doc); Doug (retired WWU geology prof); Craig Palmer (engineer); not shown, Grant Larsen (ICU nurse, young guy); and me, penultimate old guy (65).
Downclimbing exposed (!) 3rd class ridge near summit
L-R- Doug, Craig (behind picket, oops), Grant, Katy, RJ
L-R- Doug, Craig (behind picket, oops), Grant, Katy, RJ
I am sooooo totally fortunate to go hiking & climbing with such great people! Thanks, Doug, for organizing this trip!

Karl J Kaiyala
Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:00 pm 
KarlK wrote:
As everyone knows, images can make things look harder or easier than reality. This looks like class two, but the picture doesn't do it justice. It looks neither knife-edged nor exposed. It is sort of both, especially exposed. Easy enough, but don't trip, and pray that all the blocks stay put. Right, group?

KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
As everyone knows, images can make things
True indeed, Doug, as so well illustrated by this photo
Whateryoulookin at?
Whateryoulookin at?
things are not always as they appear in the image!

Karl J Kaiyala
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 pm 
up.gif I remember those meadows full of glacier lilies when I was there several yrs ago. looks like you found them at the right time!

Eric Eames
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 05, 2017 7:58 pm 
Looks like a great gathering of diverse folks. up.gif Rocks needing ropes don't necessarily turn me on but I love apline basins and meadows. I might have to put this trail on my list.
Brushbuffalo wrote:
the steep meadow
the steep meadow

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 5:55 pm 
up.gif Good Stuff ! I enjoyed Robinson and now I enjoy looking at it from different view points glad to see the rapid melting going on in places.

Living in the Anthropocene
geyer

geyer
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 7:59 pm 
What elevation did you hit snow? Despite the warming lately, I've had a negative trend the last 3 weeks of 3800' near Glacier, 3700' in the ALW, and 3500' this past weekend near Spada. I'm betting it's higher over there?

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 pm 
As mentioned briefly in the OP, there were some snow patches in the forest on the Beauty Creek trail at about 5000'. The steep flowery meadow, which faces south and starts at about 5200' is completely snow free. We hit continuous snow at the break in slope at the top of the meadow at about 6100'. That snow was still quite extensive approaching at least 4 -5 feet deep as far as the tarn at 6700. It looks like it might be several more weeks before the snow below 7000' in that area will be gone.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Jun 07, 2017 12:53 pm 
Nice trip! up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jun 10, 2017 11:34 am 
Did anyone happen to get a picture of the North side of Storey Peak at the East end of Gardner Ridge we might do a loop through there we did Storey in July one year from SR 20 and Sandy Butte and it was still pretty snowy and corniced. Just in case. Thanks

Living in the Anthropocene
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:08 pm 
Looks like a fun trip! I plan to get up to the tarn in the next couple of weeks. I enjoy getting up there every year and an easy trip for me. Two miles from the house to the TH. hockeygrin.gif