Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > overtime rules in WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 09, 2017 7:29 pm 
Mike, you're an engineer, exempt worker. No brainer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Mike, you're an engineer, exempt worker. No brainer.
So how is it that he's getting paid hourly, yet is exempt? I thought exempt employees had to be salaried.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:15 am 
Ive been doing some work in Rhode Island. Time and a half after 40, double time on Sundays.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am 
Yana wrote:
I thought exempt employees had to be salaried.
Under RCW 49.46.130 there are some classifications of hourly workers who are not entitled to 1-1/2 OT pay so long as their base hourly rate exceeds the minimum wage x 1.5.
Yana wrote:
So how is it that he's getting paid hourly, yet is exempt?
Oh, okay, I see that. It's been awhile since I looked at this issue and the law in this area is a constant state of change. The analysis starts with the definition of "employee" under RCW 49.46.010(3):
Quote:
"Employee" includes any individual employed by an employer but shall not include: * * * (c) Any individual employed in a bona fide executive, administrative, or professional capacity. . . .
However, there is a corresponding regulatory provision that seems to have been written with the assumption that EEs exempt per the foregoing provision are paid on a "salary or fee" basis. Mike, are you sure you're being paid hourly? It is common for exempt salaried EEs to get paychecks that list an hourly rate for accounting purposes notwithstanding that they are not paid on an hourly basis.

iron

iron
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:12 am 
i'm hourly. accrued time in excess of 2080 hrs/yr is paid out or can be used as comp time (at a 1.0x rate).

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 12:26 pm 
If the OP is in fact being paid hourly, and not a salary that appears pro rata as hourly, then he should be getting OT at 1.5 his hourly rate. Many salary pay stubs show a pro rated number of hours, and this could confuse people.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:29 pm 
The only person I know that ever actually gets to actually use "comp time" is a tax accountant. She works double time during peak "tax season" and takes three months off after the extended deadline for filing.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:40 pm 
A salaried employee paid bi-monthly will often have a pay stub tha shows 87 hours in that pay period.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 5:58 pm 
I'm a contract worker now. I used to be direct, salaried engineer at Boeing, but as another contractor I know said, "When I first started in this industry I though I wanted a career. After a while I realized all I wanted was a paycheck." I get paid hourly and get 1.5X OT. I have no desire to go back. As another 30+ year contractor said, "Where else can you make this much money and have no responsibility?" The downside to making $200k is often having to work in hell hole locations; I'm currently in Savannah, GA.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 9:06 am 
I like my union OT rules. More than 8 up to 10 hours in one day is 1.5X, 10+ hours in any one day is 2x. Saturdays are 1.5x for the first 8 then 2X thereafter. Sundays and holidays are 2X. Off-hours shifts (like swing or graveyard) are paid a shift differential, I just don't know exactly what it is. Exceptions are made for jobs that are scheduled as 4x10 shifts. Then it's 1X for the first ten hours of a scheduled workday and 2X thereafter. For the remaining weekday and Saturday it's 1.5X for the first 8 then 2X after ten and 2X on Sundays. I used to love working 4x10s. I wish they'd schedule more jobs like that but it seems only road crews get to do that and working a road crew kind of sucks.

iron

iron
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 am 
Ringangleclaw wrote:
A salaried employee paid bi-monthly will often have a pay stub tha shows 87 hours in that pay period.
my paycheck hours are always an increment of 8. any OT worked gets accrued and tossed into comp time or future payout time. but again, only at 1x hourly rate.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 9:33 pm 
finally got my hands on my copy of my employee agreement:
Quote:
Full Time Employment: This is a full-time position, in which you will be expected to work 40 hours per week (Monday - Friday). On occasion you will be expected to work more than 40 hours per week, which should be coordinated and approved in advance with management. While this position is exempt from overtime requirements, you are permitted to accumulate compensatory straight time for overtime hours worked, which can be taken when schedule permits. If compensatory time is not used by the end of the calendar year, you will receive a lump sum payment for any remaining hours. Compensatory time cannot be rolled into the following year.

AR

AR
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 2:12 pm 
"having to work in hell hole locations; I'm currently in Savannah, GA." Yeah, but don't they have peaches n' beaches? "I imagine there are plenty of employment lawyers out there who would give you a free initial consult that might have better info than a hiking forum." Yes, and 15.7 seconds after this "lawyer" contacts your H.R. Department you'll be thrown on the street with a box of your desk stuff. H.R. in Washington State does not have to provide any information on termination. And should you really piss them off, they can tell the State not to give you unemployment pay.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 am 
AR wrote:
And should you really piss them off, they can tell the State not to give you unemployment pay.
A former employer can't "tell" the state what to do. They can inform the state that the seperation was for cause, at which point they will have to document to the state the reason. Most employers are (or at least should be) loath to get involved in such low antics as you suggest, unless their case for "for cause" seperation is clear, well documented and gross.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:54 pm 
I've been told there aren't as many peach orchards as there used to be, but growing pecans is popular around here. peach cobbler is a popular dessert here, though. Oddly enough there are at least three Jamaican BBQ places not far from me and it is reallllly good. The area sucks for decent beer. I'm not really a beach person unless there is something to see. I like going to the peninsula beaches at extreme low tide and I like snorkeling Poipu beach. But laying around on a beach? Never.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.