Forum Index > Gear Talk > Altaplex shelter (Zpacks)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 1:56 pm 
I put together a super ultralight backpacking system earlier this year and the shelter I ended up going with for predominantly summer / fall fair weather trending trips was the Zpacks Altaplex a 17.9 oz., 36 x 90 interior dimension single wall cuben shelter. It is lightweight and very compressible with ample room for me and all my gear inside with some room to spare. The Zpacks website has the particulars HERE. I looked at the Solplex last year and bought one for my daughter who is using it on the PCT this year and loves it, but I wanted a little more room with the ability to use a carbon fiber single pole and take my trekking poles with me out exploring and peakbagging etc..., so despite the raves I chose the Altaplex. I have only set it up twice and a taunt pitch with a single pole is what I am working on, but I like it overall after laying in it with my thermarest and sleeping bag with my pack beside me. I will update this thread periodically, test #1 will be tomorrow with winds expected to gust to 40 mph.
Looking inside tent with thermarest and arcblast backpack.
Looking inside tent with thermarest and arcblast backpack.
View through bug netting with thermarest and arcblast pack side by side.
View through bug netting with thermarest and arcblast pack side by side.
Foot end.
Foot end.
Head end.
Head end.
Centered thermarest and Zpacks sleeping bag.
Centered thermarest and Zpacks sleeping bag.
Doors shut angle 1
Doors shut angle 1
Doors shut angle 2
Doors shut angle 2
Doors shut angle 3
Doors shut angle 3
Doors shut angle 4
Doors shut angle 4

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 11:08 pm 
The design seems very similar to the Six Moons Lunar Solo. https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/collections/tents/products/lunar-solo 24 ounces in Silnylon at $215

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 6:39 am 
24 oz. that is a back breaker. My goal here was to put together as light of a package of gear as I could this year and as as far as cost that is one factor I can look past to meet that end. My neighbor has a Porsche, I have a Subaru.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:19 am 
The ubiquitous Half-Dome 2 at 5 lbs. is a back breaker. A 24 ounce tent is hardly in the heavy category. My normal tent is a very well used Tarp Tent Contrail at 27 Ounces. It really depends on your personal goals, my dry weight is 15.6 pounds with bear bag setup, and a full cook system. You can get down to 12 pounds or so, but you start spending about $100 an ounce to get there. I aware that people go out lighter than 12 pounds, but not typically for PNW weather conditions. Hard to be really prepared for heavy rain, & potential cold overnights when you start cutting warm clothing and proper rain gear.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 1:44 pm 
Pairing one's weight down becomes asymptotic. You try to approach zero, but it will never be zero.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
Besides weight (and price), there are other pros (and cons) to Dyneema Composite Fabrics (aka Cuben Fiber). Many feel the lack of stretch and water absorption, as well as the ease of repair, is worth the extra $ compared to the slightly heavier low denier sil nylon fabrics.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 2:37 pm 
The winds here are sustained in the upper 20's and gusting over 30 at present and the shelter is holding in place in the open yard. I have not tightened any guy outs since yesterday. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 7:39 am 
After a few days in the winds everything held in place so I am satisfied with it''s structural integrity as far as that goes it just requires adequate space and anchoring.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 7:55 am 
wildernessed wrote:
I have not tightened any guy outs since yesterday.
Virtually zero stretch is one of the advantages of DCF (fka Cuben Fiber) over silnylon. So far (est. 30-40 nights) we're happy with our move from a silnylon 'mid (BD MegaLight) to a DCF 'mid (MCL DuoMid XL).

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:02 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Virtually zero stretch is one of the advantages of DCF (fka Cuben Fiber) over silnylon.
I have noticed that advantage, often silnylon absorbs water, especially if one side is only treated my BA Flycreek Platinum would wet out with precip or in the absence of precip or in low to calm winds. In the summer with high day temps and cooler nights the condensation alone could wet it out with cuben you may get some condensation but it is easily shaken off and as you said does not saturate the body or fly. The Soulx2's cuben fly has elastic shock cord at each corner with a hook which barely fits over a plastic ring the cord stretches initially then it's elasticity pulls the cuben tight because it won't stretch. So far with around 40 nights in her solplex Hannah has said she may get some condensation at times but that is to be expected in a single wall shelter nothing a pack towel can't fix.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
IME, condensation formation is the same with CF, silnyon or PU-coated ripstop. Why would they be different? All 3 don't breathe. The advantage of CF is that the condensation easily shakes off before packing and it's a bit easier to wipe down with a Shamwow. CF is more stormproof, virtually 100% waterproof. Contrast silnylon, which can allow a mist to penetrate in a driving rain or wind. My major concern with CF is susceptibility to abrasion, so I endeavor to wash it off after a dusty or sand camp.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 1:04 pm 
Altaplex front
Altaplex front
Altaplex side
Altaplex side
Altaplex rear.
Altaplex rear.
The 32x90" interior was spacious for me and all my gear inside, we had a night of gusting winds 30 - 40 mph and it held steady with no adjustment needed. The mesh which lines the perimeter of the floor had good air flow.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 5:17 pm 
Have you used that enough to get the a good pitch setup time down pat? I use the similar lunar solo so infrequently, it take a long time to obtain an ideal pitch. Seems like I need to adjust the tension on all the back stakes a few times. My old contrail is a ridiculously easy, litterly under two minutes with four stakes.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Have you used that enough to get the a good pitch setup time down pat?
This was my third pitch and first time out with it so I am on the learning curve but thought I did OK the design is pretty neat I use a carbon fiber pole and when it is guyed out the pole doesn't seem stressed at all but serves as a center pivot point for the tensioned guy lines.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:44 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Contrast silnylon, which can allow a mist to penetrate in a driving rain or wind.
Depends on the SilNylon used. Some SilNylon is so waterproof that it works for water carriers, but it's more in the 1.9oz/yard vs 1.1oz/yard range.