Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pirating Peaks in the North Cascades - Blackbeard, Kidd 6/7/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 10:07 pm 
Andy was driving into Seattle after a 2000 mile road trip from Colorado to climb here for the summer and having never climbed in Washington wanted to get into the mountains ASAP. As in within 12 hours of arriving ASAP. I wanted to get in the mountains Wednesday cause it was my birthday. We'd never met before, but I knew talking to him on the phone that he sounded like a solid partner, and he was that and more. To introduce Andy to the North Cascades I suggested a rarely done objective - Blackbeard and its neighbor, Kidd. If only we knew the marathon we were getting into... We left Seattle at a reasonable 6am to arrive at the first substantial dirt pullout after passing the sign for Swamp Creek. An easy 200' forest descent brought us to Granite Creek, running fast and high with the spring melt. Iron had mentioned a good log upstream when he did these peaks 3 years ago to the day, so upstream we searched and within ten minutes found a bomber log good enough to walk across the creek on.
Crossing the critical log over Granite Creek
Crossing the critical log over Granite Creek
From here we gradually aimed for the creek that drains the basin between Kidd and Blackbeard. Good travel through the mostly snow-covered forest floor and at 4800' we had our first views of Black Peak's impressive East Wall.
First views of Black's East Wall
First views of Black's East Wall
We crossed the creek draining the large basin below Black Peak on a good log. Turning uphill here through more easy forest we spied the gully draining the basin and entered it at 5500'. We started to boot up it,
The gully at 5500'
The gully at 5500'
but saw above that it narrowed into a rushing waterfall, so exited to the other (south) side onto a forested rib and booted up snow on the rib. Good travel, and this gave us a view of what we would have had to deal with had we stayed on the north side of the creek:
Looking across the gully
Looking across the gully
Also gave us some good views of the surrounding area.
Vista
Vista
Cutthroat
Cutthroat
Views east
Views east
Corteo
Corteo
Higher the rib widened and opened up onto more open snowfields, and our first good view of Blackbeard.
Blackbeard
Blackbeard
The route essentially goes up the flank of Kidd. We trended right as we went up where it looked good to attain the saddle between the two peaks,
Andy and Blackbeard
Andy and Blackbeard
all the while watching the views open up more the higher we climbed.
Sundog
Sundog
Golden Horn and Tower
Golden Horn and Tower
Corteo's cirque
Corteo's cirque
Hardy, Golden Horn, Tower, Needles
Hardy, Golden Horn, Tower, Needles
We'd been chatting all along, me giving Andy a primer on the Cascades and climbing in Washington, and he asking questions and letting me know his goals, so we hadn't made a particularly fast pace to here. We decided to climb Kidd first, as we were already partly up it above the saddle and because we could now see that the best route up Blackbeard was not the saddle ridge (too gnarly), but the next ridge to the right.
Blackbeard, another perspective
Blackbeard, another perspective
Coming down that ridge would put us in position to cross the basin back to our up track well below Kidd's summit area. So up we went, making a bit better time now.
Kidd
Kidd
Up Kidd
Up Kidd
Andy nearing the false summit
Andy nearing the false summit
Views to the west started to show as we climbed Kidd's easy slopes to its false summit.
Fisher and Arches
Fisher and Arches
The Tack and Graybeard
The Tack and Graybeard
Andy at the false summit
Andy at the false summit
From here it was a fun and interesting ridge run to the true summit with outstanding views all around, making sure to stay well away from the ridge cornices and summit snow mushroom. All the cornices on Kidd and Blackbeard seemed to be formed from easterly winds as they all were overhanging to the west.
On to the true summit
On to the true summit
Andy and the summit snow mushroom
Andy and the summit snow mushroom
We reached the dry summit of Kidd, 7215'. I decided ahead of time to call this unnamed peak Kidd to stick with the pirate theme and because this peak is Blackbeard's slightly smaller kid neighbor. The summit was close to the massive Black Peak and gave a great perspective of many surrounding behemoths.
Black Peak
Black Peak
Corteo from summit of Kidd
Corteo from summit of Kidd
Repulse
Repulse
Fisher
Fisher
Katsuk and Mesahchie
Katsuk and Mesahchie
Graybeard
Graybeard
Repulse, Fisher, Mesahchie, Kitling, Graybeard
Repulse, Fisher, Mesahchie, Kitling, Graybeard
Kidd summit
Kidd summit
And more to the north across the highway.
Hardy and Golden Horn
Hardy and Golden Horn
Hardy to Tower to Whistler
Hardy to Tower to Whistler
No register found here. With time now pressing, we didn't dally too long and made our way back along the ridge and down the easy snow slopes to the upper basin, where we made a rising rightward traverse to our objective ridge.
On to Blackbeard
On to Blackbeard
This ridge was mostly snow to start, but became dry and standard Cascades mixed choss and krummholz as we worked our way up the route of least resistance, mostly class 2 with a few class 3 moves. Soon we were on the summit of Blackbeard, 7241'.
Fisher, Arches, Katsuk, Mesahchie, Cub, Kitling, Graybeard
Fisher, Arches, Katsuk, Mesahchie, Cub, Kitling, Graybeard
Photogenic Corteo
Photogenic Corteo
Highway 20 below
Highway 20 below
Kidd from Blackbeard
Kidd from Blackbeard
Andy looking from Jack to Hardy
Andy looking from Jack to Hardy
These peaks are an excellent example of a phenomenon I've experienced numerous times in the Cascades--that a smaller peak gives better views of surrounding giants than the views from the larger peaks themselves. These two peaks, especially Kidd, are ringed by Cascades 8000ers. Including distant peaks, I counted nearly 20 8000'+ peaks visible, and many more 7000' peaks. Even Hozomeen was visible on the distant horizon. As we relaxed on the summit, Andy opened up the summit register. I knew from iron's report that Dallas Kloke had placed the register and made the first three signed ascents with various partners.
Blackbeard register
Blackbeard register
Mike and Carrie's ascent three years ago was the fourth, and I knew Fay, Deb and Eileen had summited via a camp at Wing Lake. We were only the sixth party to sign in,
Sixth party to sign
Sixth party to sign
and I would not be surprised if there have been few if any other ascents of this peak; partly because of so many other larger objectives nearby, and perhaps partly due to the fact that neither of these peaks quite makes the 400' prominence mark. I'm certain Kidd has seen even fewer ascents, perhaps less than five. However, now it was getting a bit late. We needed to get down as fast as we could so that just maybe we could find the log across Granite Creek before it got really dark. We downclimbed our route on Blackbeard and booted across the basin to our up track on Kidd's slope, and down the rib to the gully, and then down to the log crossing at 4800'. From here it was only 600' vertical to Granite Creek but close to two miles, and though we tried to stay on our track it faded into the duff-covered snow and we lost it about half way and just walked across the snow via the path of least resistance. Despite our efforts it was essentially dark when we came near Granite Creek, with a bit of a dropoff below to get to it. Knowing that the creek draining the basins was behind us, we started upstream looking for the log. After a while it seemed we had gone too far; we had seen nothing that would afford any hope of crossing the creek. We went a little farther to be sure, but no luck. So we started back to the west, looking every fifty feet for any sign. Suddenly I saw a couple of boot tracks that didn't seem to be recent and decided to see where they went; sure enough, there was our log. I think Andy was more excited than I was, maybe wondering what I'd gotten him into on his first Cascades foray. Took more than two hours of searching but we found it. Someday I need to get me one of those fancy Geepus gizmos, that would have saved a lot of time and effort. In retrospect we could have built a short series of snow cairns to mark the way. Or just started earlier and moved faster. The 200' of gain back to the highway was easy, and let us out at the second dirt pullout after Swamp Creek, where we walked a quarter mile back to Andy's truck. We took our time winding down and eventually hit the very quiet and dark North Cascades Highway. With a break or two to catch a little sleep, we ended up at my place in Seattle just after 4am. Quite the mini-marathon! And by a stroke of luck Andy's truck gave its all to get us back, because the next day it died for good here in town. Fortunately, he found another easily to get him on his way. This was a fun adventure, and I had a great time on my first North Cascades trip of the year with a fine new partner. Blackbeard and Kidd are ideally situated for outstanding views, the terrain is moderate, and there is enough routefinding to keep one engaged. Andy got his introduction to the North Cascades big time, will have a great time in his AAI courses, get to climb some Cascade classics, and hopefully we can team up again before he leaves for Colorado later this summer. 8 miles, 3500-4000' gain Eric J. Johnson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 11, 2017 11:27 pm 
Great stuff, birthday boy! up.gif Lots of GPS stuff available on smart phones.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 6:20 am 
up.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
iron

iron
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:35 am 
sounds like jack should be the next peak on your list...

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 6:55 am 
Outstanding up.gif up.gif
cartman wrote:
And by a stroke of luck Andy's truck gave its all to get us back, because the next day it died for good here in town.
That would have been a bummer to finally get out to find a dead truck in the middle of the night. waah.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
ree

ree
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:59 am 
Thanks for the memory, Eric!!! That was a fun trip. You had so much more snow than we did. I remember there was one patch of snow to get our water! Yipes. We talked about your trip report on our recent outing. Glad you put it up.