Forum Index > Trip Reports > "Yosemite, B!tch!": Yosemite Valley, May 13-20, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Jun 12, 2017 11:37 pm 
DAY 1: The Long Awaited Departure "The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and if they can't find them, make them." --George Bernard Shaw After 6.5 yrs. of fruitless attempts to make it to Yosemite, I finally managed a way to get there & perhaps the timing was perfect anyway--the drought had broke, the winter snow & rain had fallen, & the waterfalls were @ their peak. All the time & energy I spent struggling to inspire an apathetic partner were washed away in 'Nature's fountains' as I once again realized that the old sage advice is true: If you want to get something done you must do it yourself. Yosemite, bitch. Read it & weep. moon.gif We left SD on a Sat. AM w/the intent of staying @ a motel the 1st night, since the drive is several hrs. long & there'd be no sense fumbling around in the dark looking for a campsite. After muscling our way through L.A., stopping for lunch, & sailing up the San Joaquin Valley, we arrived in Los Banos ("The Bathroom"??) where we had the motel reservation. We dumped off some of our things & headed to the closest restaurant that served margaritas. wink.gif I did my usual photo text to friends, this time expressing my excitement & relief for a long-awaited dream coming true. I rec'd some confused reactions, mostly from those to whom I hadn't even mentioned I was about to go to Yosemite -- I feared I might jinx the whole thing & therefore waited until I was @ least a stone's throw away from it to reveal my plan. wink.gif
Pre-Yosemite margarita
Pre-Yosemite margarita
We enjoyed a nice dinner & drink & then headed back to the room & caught the newest episode of SNL before bed. It was the 1st time I'd watched TV in several months. dizzy.gif DAY 2: B'fast @ the Courthouse, Finding Camp, Mirror Lk. Trail Upon recommendation, we checked out a diner in town for b'fast, where we had a good meal & each rec'd a flower for Mother's Day, even though it was a holiday that applied to neither one of us. embarassedlaugh.gif From there, the search was on for a campsite. After looking around a bit, we found a nice spot along the Merced River about an hr. outside the Arch Rock entrance, @ McCabe Flat CG. We paid the fee for the week, set up the tents, & made a beeline to the park. up.gif
Mothers' Day OJ
Mothers' Day OJ
Beach @ our campground along the Merced River
Beach @ our campground along the Merced River
Time for the big reveal. I was finally gonna see this famous place! eek.gif up.gif up.gif "...I know no single wonder of nature on earth which can claim superiority over Yosemite. Just dream yourself for one hour in a chasm nearly 10 miles long, with egress, save for birds and water, but at three points, up the face of precipices from three thousand to four thousand feet high, the chasm scarcely more than a mile wide at any point, & tapering to a mere gorge, or canyon, at either end, with walls of mainly naked and perpendicular white granite, from three thousand to five thousand feet high, so that looking up to the sky from it is like looking out of an unfathomable profound--and you will have some conception of Yosemite." -- Horace Greeley, "In California--The Yosemite", An Overland Journey from New York to San Francisco in the Summer of 1859 As we entered the park, sure enough it did indeed look like the pictures I'd been admiring for yrs. I will say, however, that El Capitan was even bigger than I'd imagined....a huge monolith of sheer granite cliff that is situated near the western end of the valley & one of the 1st opportunities for jaw-dropping awe. stun.gif 1st, an obligatory shot of Yosemite Falls. smile.gif up.gif
Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Falls
With less than 1/2 a day for a hike, we chose the Mirror Lk. Trail which is @ the far end of the valley underneath 1/2 Dome. The day was kinda cloudy but I managed to get 1 pic of the dome before the clouds covered it.
Half Dome
Half Dome
Trail to Mirror Lk.
Trail to Mirror Lk.
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
Mirror Lk.
Mirror Lk.
Tenaya Creek
Tenaya Creek
North Dome(?) above
North Dome(?) above
On the drive out, I pulled over as I noticed nice lighting on Bridalveil Falls.
Bridalveil Falls
Bridalveil Falls
Then, back to camp to cook dinner & relax by the river.
My tent
My tent
DAY 3: Vernal Falls, Nevada Falls Loop; Yosemite Lodge Dinner This day started out partly sunny, then turned to rain (& even a brief bit of hail) by the time we hiked past Nevada Falls. Appropriate I suppose, for doing the Mist Trail. embarassedlaugh.gif
Merced River
Merced River
Mist Trail TH
Mist Trail TH
Another sign
Another sign
That's a lot of water...
That's a lot of water...
Lots of options
Lots of options
It was a good little climb despite the large amount of people; the views made up for that.
View back toward Yosemite Falls
View back toward Yosemite Falls
Illilouette Gorge
Illilouette Gorge
To say that the Merced River was raging was an understatement. Having never been to Yosemite before, I had no sense of what was "normal" but from various people we talked to throughout the trip, I got the sense that things were flowing better than usual.
Merced River
Merced River
Merced River
Merced River
View of Vernal Fall
View of Vernal Fall
Merced River
Merced River
Trail sign
Trail sign
We got to Vernal Fall & started up the wet, slippery granite staircase. I was glad I had full raingear, though my sunglasses got wet & made it hard to see. Maybe that was for the best, since parts of this trail are kinda sketchy. paranoid.gif
Vernal Fall.  I can see why they call this the Mist Trail.
Vernal Fall. I can see why they call this the Mist Trail.
Vernal Fall
Vernal Fall
Great, time to walk along a cliff edge
Great, time to walk along a cliff edge
Top of Vernal Fall
Top of Vernal Fall
Top of Vernal Fall
Top of Vernal Fall
Then, on to Nevada Fall. smile.gif
Liberty Cap.  The light patch on left side was where rock broke loose in 1872 during the Owens Valley Earthquake, startling John Muir out of bed.
Liberty Cap. The light patch on left side was where rock broke loose in 1872 during the Owens Valley Earthquake, startling John Muir out of bed.
Merced River
Merced River
Nevada Fall as seen from the side as we climb up
Nevada Fall as seen from the side as we climb up
Top of Nevada Fall
Top of Nevada Fall
Top of Nevada Fall
Top of Nevada Fall
"If you go over the fall, you will die."
"If you go over the fall, you will die."
Looks relatively calm, but don't chance it...
Looks relatively calm, but don't chance it...
Liberty Cap
Liberty Cap
Lip of Nevada Fall
Lip of Nevada Fall
Looking down
Looking down
Lip of Nevada Fall
Lip of Nevada Fall
Liberty Cap & Nevada Fall
After Nevada Fall, the trail goes through a little misty section. I put my rain gear back on & made a run for it. hink.gif
Gonna get wet...
Gonna get wet...
Wet hikers
Wet hikers
After the wet section, it started hailing a bit. irked.gif @ least there was a nice view back toward Nevada Fall. up.gif
Nevada Fall
Nevada Fall
Mt. Broderick & Liberty Cap
Mt. Broderick & Liberty Cap
The trail dropped down from here, & multiple switchbacks led us through forest cover back to hook up with the main trail.
Heading down a mossy section of the JMT
Heading down a mossy section of the JMT
Trail sign
Trail sign
Low clouds
Low clouds
By the time we were done w/our hike it was raining fairly steadily, & neither of us felt like trying to cook something back @ camp. So, we opted for dinner @ Yosemite Lodge instead. I had a during dinner drink, & an after dinner drink. Yes, I ate in between but I usually don't take pics of the food. wink.gif
Yosemite Glacier Martini
Yosemite Glacier Martini
Hot Toddy
Hot Toddy
On the drive out, I noticed some deer grazing alongside the rd.
Deer grazing in Yosemite Valley
Deer grazing in Yosemite Valley
DAY 4: Bridalveil Fall, Lower Yosemite Fall, Mariposa shopping We took it easy on this day -- I woke up not feeling well (no, not hungover lol) so we got a tad later start...plus the weather forecast was iffy. Nevertheless it turned out to be a fairly productive day of short hikes & a little shopping, w/an afternoon relaxing back @ camp. 1st stop, Bridalveil Fall. We were still early enough to avoid most of the crowds, relatively speaking. This is Yosemite, afterall... eek.gif
Bridalveil Fall TH
Bridalveil Fall TH
Bridalveil Creek
Bridalveil Creek
Bridalveil Fall
Bridalveil Fall
Bridalveil Fall
Bridalveil Fall
"Strong currents can batter you to death against the rocks."
"Strong currents can batter you to death against the rocks."
Then, another stop @ the popular roadside view of Yosemite Falls. cool.gif
BC w/Yosemite Falls
BC w/Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Fall
Yosemite Fall
Time to start up the Lower Yosemite Fall trail, a short & easy hike (unlike the one to the upper fall). wink.gif
Leaving the village & heading up to Lower Yosemite Fall
Leaving the village & heading up to Lower Yosemite Fall
1/2 Dome
1/2 Dome
Shady trail
Shady trail
Mossy rocks
Mossy rocks
BC w/Lower Yosemite Falls
BC w/Lower Yosemite Falls
Lower Yosemite Fall
Lower Yosemite Fall
We left the park & made a brief stop @ the pisser by the Briceburg bridge before continuing on to Mariposa.
The bridge @ Briceburg
The bridge @ Briceburg
We did a little strolling around the shops @ Mariposa, where I bought a "tiny dildo". They were advertising it as a "massager", of course, but we all know better. mum.gif I also saw a sign about an upcoming prom for old people. confused.gif
"Senior Citizen Prom"
"Senior Citizen Prom"
Tiny dildo
Tiny dildo
We checked out "The Bug" hostel on the way back to camp, which turns out to be a very expensive place to stay considering you are sharing bathrooms & rooms. shakehead.gif We lazed about camp reading books & enjoying the sound of the river, before cooking dinner & hitting the sack. cool.gif up.gif up.gif
Merced River
Merced River
Calm waters here
Calm waters here
Our tents
Our tents
My tent
My tent
Our campsite
Our campsite
The river as seen from a couple campsites over
The river as seen from a couple campsites over
Gushing
Gushing
@ the water's edge
@ the water's edge
Our tents
Our tents
DAY 5: Upper Yosemite Falls, Yosemite Point Today was the "big hike" day. Thankfully I was feeling fine in the AM so we got a nice early start for this longer, tougher hike. Actually, every day we were getting up @ 5:45 which was fine by me, since that's an hour later than what I have to do for work. embarassedlaugh.gif The Upper Yosemite Fall trail is a great trail - very well built so it is never a lot of elevation gain in a short stretch. Plus, acrophobes like me appreciate the fact that the trail makes good use of the strip of trees snaking up the granite cliffs next to the fall, so there's never much exposure, or @ least for not very long. There are approximately a zillion granite steps, more so than I think I've ever seen on any other hike. & I've done a lot of hikes. wink.gif
Sign along Upper Yosemite Fall trail
Sign along Upper Yosemite Fall trail
Trail sign
Trail sign
View near Columbia Rock
View near Columbia Rock
View near Columbia Rock
View near Columbia Rock
1/2 Dome in the clouds
1/2 Dome in the clouds
Blooms along the trail
Blooms along the trail
Shady section
Shady section
Somewhere around Columbia Rock/Pt. is the 1st close-up view of the fall. up.gif
Upper Yosemite Falls
Upper Yosemite Falls
The trail steadily switchbacks up beside the fall & even though I wasn't super close to it, I could still feel some mist. up.gif
Cliff below Eagle Tower
Cliff below Eagle Tower
Lots of water
Lots of water
View from near Columbia Rock
View from near Columbia Rock
Side view
Side view
1/2 Dome outta the clouds now
1/2 Dome outta the clouds now
Did I mention that there's a lot of stone steps on this trail? lol.gif
I don't think I've ever hiked a trail with this many granite steps
I don't think I've ever hiked a trail with this many granite steps
Finally the junction high on the trail is reached, & I made my way over to the overlook to meet my trip companion. We rested there a moment before checking out the very sketchy trail that drops down a bit to the very brink of the upper fall. eek.gif paranoid.gif shakehead.gif dizzy.gif
Trail sign
Trail sign
Viewpoint above the falls
Viewpoint above the falls
Pano
Pano
Upper Yosemite Falls just above the big drop
Upper Yosemite Falls just above the big drop
Narrow exposed trail that brings you to the overlook @ the brink
Narrow exposed trail that brings you to the overlook @ the brink
Upper Yosemite Falls overlook
Upper Yosemite Falls overlook
Heading back up the steps
Heading back up the steps
We continued on to Yosemite Point, well worth the extra 3/4 mi. agree.gif
Yep, this would be bad.  Really, really bad.
Yep, this would be bad. Really, really bad.
Yosemite Creek just above the falls
Yosemite Creek just above the falls
Looking upriver
Looking upriver
The view from Yosemite Point is even better. Plus, much of the crowd thins out after the 1st overlook. up.gif up.gif
BC @ Yosemite Pt.
BC @ Yosemite Pt.
Section of trail we came up
Yosemite Pt. view
Yosemite Pt. view
Yosemite Pt. view
Yosemite Pt. view
Yosemite Pt. pano
Yosemite Pt. pano
Do I really need to label this photo??
Do I really need to label this photo??
Boot shot @ Yosemite Pt.
Boot shot @ Yosemite Pt.
@ the brink of the 3,000' cliff
@ the brink of the 3,000' cliff
Peeps @ the fall overlook
Peeps @ the fall overlook
Then, time to make the long hike back down to the valley. By the time I reached the bottom, my knees were feeling it. hmmm.gif
Heading back down
Heading back down
Going through the gap
Going through the gap
Looking back up @ the fall
Looking back up @ the fall
I can still feel the mist
I can still feel the mist
Upper Yosemite Fall in the afternoon
Upper Yosemite Fall in the afternoon
The upper end of the valley
The upper end of the valley
Rainbow
Rainbow
Zoom of the top of Upper Yosemite Falls
Zoom of the top of Upper Yosemite Falls
Yosemite Point
Yosemite Point
1/2 Dome
1/2 Dome
On the dirt rd. back to camp, a snake caught my eye...
Snake on the rd. as we drove back to camp
Snake on the rd. as we drove back to camp
DAY 6: Brunch @ The Majestic, Shopping, Tunnel View This was our one "day off" -- no hiking. A day to take it easy & check out the various shops & museums, etc. in the village. We had brunch @ the Majestic Hotel (where after a series of mishaps, my meal wound up being free), & I got some books & a hat @ the Visitor Center. Not sure if they make the Visitor Center purposely difficult to find, or if it was more due to there being some road work / re-routing going on in the village rt. now. In any case, you can't drive right up to the visitor center or many of the other bldgs...which maybe is a good thing. You just have to find some obscure place to park (best bet we found was tucked in between residential cabins) & walk the rest of the way.
Salamander
Salamander
Like that's not vague...
Like that's not vague...
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
View out the window from where we had brunch
View out the window from where we had brunch
The Majestic Hotel restaurant ceiling
The Majestic Hotel restaurant ceiling
The Majestic Hotel
The Majestic Hotel
Creek behind hotel
Creek behind hotel
Outside the Indian Museum
Outside the Indian Museum
Me & John Muir
Me & John Muir
Info about pikas
Info about pikas
Deer outside the grocery store
On the way to Tunnel View:
Bridleveil Falls
Bridleveil Falls
We made a stop @ the famous Tunnel View where there is a good photo opp of the valley length.
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
BC @ Tunnel View
BC @ Tunnel View
Bridalveil Fall
Bridalveil Fall
Tunnel View
Tunnel View
Rainbow @ the base of Bridalveil Falls
Rainbow @ the base of Bridalveil Falls
Bridalveil Fall rainbow
Bridalveil Fall rainbow
Bridalveil Fall rainbow
Bridalveil Fall rainbow
DAY 7: Inspiration Point & beyond, Merced Grove Today, for our last hiking day, we opted to hike up to Inspiration Pt. & possibly on to Stanford Pt., depending on how much snow we encountered. This is a mostly woodsy trail that sees far less traffic than the other trails in the valley. I thought this might be our time to see a bear, but no such luck.
TH sign
TH sign
Mossy rock
Mossy rock
Trail sign
Trail sign
Woodsy trail
Woodsy trail
Gettin' snow-covered  :-(
Gettin' snow-covered :-(
Hmmm
Hmmm
Sure enough, a ways up the trail got lost in the snow & I subsequently lost motivation to continue. I did my fair share of snowshoeing when I lived in WA & didn't feel the need to do anymore.
Nope.  Kept losing trail & the motivation to trudge thru snow just wasn't there.  Been there, done that.
Nope. Kept losing trail & the motivation to trudge thru snow just wasn't there. Been there, done that.
I turned back & took a side trail which had a nice view. cool.gif
Cliffs
Cliffs
Went further back down the trailhead & found this nice viewpoint instead to take my break.
Went further back down the trailhead & found this nice viewpoint instead to take my break.
Viewpoint along the trail
Viewpoint along the trail
This is definitely a trail that is not as well maintained as the others. I encountered multiple blowdowns.
Lots of blowdowns along this trail
Lots of blowdowns along this trail
Bark
Bark
Lizard
Lizard
Just above Tunnel View, w/o the crowds
Just above Tunnel View, w/o the crowds
Tourists
Tourists
Next up, Merced Grove, located outside the valley. This short hike goes downhill on a forest rd. to a couple groves of sequoias. Since the Mariposa Grove was still closed for renovation, this was our next closest thing. wink.gif
Sign @ Merced Grove TH
Sign @ Merced Grove TH
Junction
Junction
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Treehugger
Treehugger
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Cabin
Cabin
Cabin
Cabin
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Cabin
Cabin
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
Sequoias @ Merced Grove
DAY 8: Glacier Pt., The Long Drive Home Waking up 30 minutes earlier so we could pack in one more sightseeing adventure, we entered the park one last time & drove up to Glacier Pt. While it was the wrong time of day for the best photographs, it was still a stunner. We arrived there pretty early in the morning, but not too early to prevent a crowd. I'd hate to see what it's like in the late afternoon... shakehead.gif
The most stuffed my car has ever been
The most stuffed my car has ever been
Sign @ Glacier Pt.
Sign @ Glacier Pt.
Yosemite Falls as seen from Glacier Pt.
Yosemite Falls as seen from Glacier Pt.
Glacier Pt. view
Glacier Pt. view
North Dome, Basket Dome
North Dome, Basket Dome
Nevada Fall
Nevada Fall
1/2 Dome
1/2 Dome
Glacier Pt. pano
Glacier Pt. pano
Glacier Pt. pano
Glacier Pt. pano
Looking up the valley
Looking up the valley
Glacier Pt. view
Glacier Pt. view
Yosemite Valley far below
Yosemite Valley far below
Still snowy in the high country
Still snowy in the high country
Nevada & Vernal Falls
Nevada & Vernal Falls
We then drove back up the hill to Washburn Pt., where you can get a sharp angle of 1/2 Dome. winksmile.gif
Half Dome as seen from Washburn Pt.
Liberty Cap w/Nevada & Vernal Falls
Liberty Cap w/Nevada & Vernal Falls
Then, the long ass drive home. Uneventful, except for a brief stall on the 210 in L.A. during heat & stop 'n go traffic. doh.gif Back in town, my companion was uninterested in finishing off the trip right, so I had to go by myself. hockeygrin.gif up.gif up.gif
Post "Yosemite, bitch!" marg
Post "Yosemite, bitch!" marg
"No words will ever describe the exquisite beauty and charm of this mountain park--Nature's landscape garden at once tenderly beautiful and sublime. No wonder it draws nature-lovers from all over the world." --John Muir, My First Summer in the Sierra

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 8:44 am 
up.gif Lots of water this year, great photos, one of my best memories after a day of hiking was swimming with the kids in the Merced River when it was over a 100 degrees late season.

Living in the Anthropocene
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 9:12 am 
Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing BC up.gif up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:09 am 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 11:23 am 
Awesome - great pics! Been 11 years since I've been there - gotta go back now! up.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 1:10 pm 
Thanks for all that you put into this report. I enjoyed it. Have not been to Yosemite yet, myself.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 pm 
Thanks everyone!! Glad y'all enjoyed the report. This one took awhile to write...or more specifically, it took a long time to do the photo part. dizzy.gif wink.gif
Gimpilator wrote:
Have not been to Yosemite yet, myself.
Really? I would've expected that you'd scaled El Cap a few times now. eek.gif dizzy.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jun 13, 2017 10:23 pm 
Great report. I appreciate all the info and details. Great photos too. This one was a little nerve-wracking. Vertigo anyone?
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
So did you drive this road into the park? Looks like you dodged a bullet. (aerial video at the link) ~z Quote from San Luis Obispo News Tribune (original article in Sacramento Bee): A large rockslide on Monday afternoon is going to keep the Arch Rock Entrance at Yosemite National Park closed at least throughout the weekend. About 4,000 tons of rock broke away from the cliff adjacent to El Portal Road, which is an extension of Highway 140. The slab slid down the cliff and broke into many pieces after hitting a ledge. The debris fanned out over 1,000 feet, according to a release from the National Park Service. One-third of the debris landed on El Portal Road. About 150 feet of the road is covered with 15-20 feet of rocks, with the largest boulder weighing 130 tons, according to the NPS. The road itself sustained damage, as well as the retaining wall. Yosemite National Park staff will be assessing the road and surrounding area at least until the weekend, . After staff finish the assessment, crews will begin to remove the debris and repair the road. There is no estimate for when the road will reopen.

Frodo Barefoot

Frodo Barefoot
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 6:18 pm 
Very nice! Nothing more fulfilling than a realized dream, especially one this long in the making!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 6:57 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
I will say, however, that El Capitan was even bigger than I'd imagined....a huge monolith of sheer granite cliff that is situated near the western end of the valley & one of the 1st opportunities for jaw-dropping awe. stun.gif
I had the same experience. No photo truly can give you the scale of it. Have to be on the Valley floor gazing up at that cliff to appreciate just how big it is.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 6:58 pm 
up.gif Looks like a great trip. Yosemite is one of a kind. Next time ya gotta check out Tuolumne Meadow part of the Park...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 14, 2017 7:04 pm 
Did you see California ground squirrels? They were everywhere in the Valley when I was there. Cute as can be, but shameless beggars I think. I'm pretty sure they've figured out how cute they are.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 pm 
I saw some squirrels, & even got a pic of one, but for some reason even though it shows on my flickr pg., when I go post the pic here it doesn't even show up in the batch/album or photostream. confused.gif For whatever reason that appears to be the only uncooperative photo. huh.gif Anyway, it was too busy munching on a plant to beg anything from me. I watched the cutie for a bit until it lost its footing & slipped off the rock it was on, exposing its fat belly while it tumbled down & then scampered off. wub.gif Yep, Tuolumne Meadows is a possibility for this fall. hockeygrin.gif up.gif Yes, hwy. 140 is the one we took back 'n forth into the park everyday. I knew of a couple sections that historically are known to slide, but this sounds like maybe a slightly different spot. Sure thankful that we weren't caught in that! eek.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Yes, hwy. 140 is the one we took back 'n forth into the park everyday. I knew of a couple sections that historically are known to slide, but this sounds like maybe a slightly different spot. Sure thankful that we weren't caught in that! eek.gif
Wow. Just wow. Good timing on your part. I found a video link. Do you remember driving this section? ~z

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:17 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Do you remember driving this section? ~z
Yeah, looks familiar...we must've driven back & forth thru that section many times if that's along the 140 / El Portal Rd. eek.gif