Forum Index > Gear Talk > Down sleeping bag treated with DWR shell hiking on the ocean?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pdomansky

pdomansky
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 11:25 am 
I bought a Klymit KSB 20 down sleeping bag with 650 fill. The bag is advertised to have a DWR shell (but has standard untreated down), EN rated to 20F, and all reviews seem to be positive. My question is, while I am within the return policy.... Would I have any issues with a down sleeping bag treated with a DWR treated shell here on the pacific coast as long as I am careful/keep it dry (stuffed in a dry bag or garbage bag in my pack)? I am doing a week long trip hiking on the Nootka Trail, on Vancouver Island, camping right on the beach for 5 nights...Humidity is high, sometimes hovering between 75-85% right @ the ocean. Most of my other hikes are inland 40-100 miles from the ocean and have humidity between 50-75%. I really appreciate any input you have. Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 am 
I don't see a problem. The DWR is generally there to protect from condensation soaking into the bag. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
pdomansky

pdomansky
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 12:08 pm 
Thank you for the quick response. I have never owned a down bag, they've always been a bit out of my price range, but they've come down quite a bit over the last few years. I will be meticulous about keeping it dry though. I guess my main concern was how well the DWR actually works to prevent moisture from entering the bag either from condensation in the tent, or high humidity and how it will affect the insulation/loft, but if you don't think it will be an issue, gonna give it a try.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 12:10 pm 
The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry bags are great. They make a 13 liter that would be ideal for this sleeping bag (factory stuff sack is 12 liter). No issue with Down bags, they pack way smaller & lighter for the equivalent warmth.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm 
What will the average nighttime temperatures be during the time of year you will do your trip?? Your bag sounds a bit warm (for some people) and sweat can potentially compromise down in high humidity situations. DWR will prevent some liquid moisture from entering the insulation but will do nothing to prevent water vapor from reaching the down. I default to synthetic 90% of the time, just so I don't have to worry. Some folks feel otherwise, but I prefer synthetic sleeping bags, especially for maritime weather.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
pdomansky

pdomansky
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 1:25 pm 
Average nighttime temperatures will hover about 5C or 35-40F. I am a very cold sleeper (My wife laughs at me, when I have a good down duvet along with a big heavy fleece top blanket, 9-10 months of the year).... So this is one of the reason which is one of the main reasons for getting a new bag. My old bag was EN rated +30F and I froze last time I used it in the same environment, even adding warm clothing. The KSB 20 bag also has bottom zip as well so I can vent or even use it as a quilt and cool things down should I get too warm. Also, the week after the Nootka, I am heading up to Cathedral Provincial Park for a week, about 300KM inland from Vancouver, where I will be camping at 2000M (6500 FT), and temperatures reach 25-30f (-4 to -2C) most nights, and snow even in July is a definite possibility. I've also ensured my sleeping pad (Big Agnes Air Core Insulated) should be sufficient for that one, with an R Value of 4.1.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 2:47 pm 
Opinions go both ways with down, sounds like you have thought it out! Have a fun trip!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
graywolf

graywolf
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 4:37 pm 
I've been using down bags at the coast for years (decades) without any problems - you'll be fine. Can't remember the last time I used a synthetic...

The only easy day was yesterday...
pdomansky

pdomansky
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 5:17 pm 
Good news. I had started to regret my decision moving to a down bag, but general consensus seems that I will be all good as long as I am careful. Thanks for the advice!

skiorkayak

skiorkayak
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 6:08 pm 
There are probably more sleep preferences then there are bag and pad combinations. Everybody has to find for themselves what they are comfortable with. For example; I have a 15 degree bag and a Therma-rest Neo-air pad. I would not use that setup below freezing. My son has the same kind of bag in a 32 degree rating. He uses it in a hammock tent with no pad and claims to have no problems when it drops below freezing over night. Everyone sleeps different. As far as down goes, I switched to down about 10 years ago. I had the same reservations you do and am very careful about keeping it dry. I have not regretted it one bit. I don't think you will have any problems, but really the only way to know if it works for you is to try it.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jun 16, 2017 7:30 pm 
Down is far more volumetrically efficient (packed size), and lighter than any synthetic at the same "temperature rating". The use of down lets you use a smaller volume and lighter backpack. A stuffed synthetic bag will be at least another 5-7 liters larger is size, driving you to a larger pack and thus leading to even more weight. A wet sleeping bag is worthless no matter what it made of. I can do a multi-night with a 48 liter pack. With Synthetic your looking at a 65 liter. You can always wear your insulating mid layers if it gets really cold. A down puffy with a hood does wonders on a colder night.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 9:32 am 
One thing you will definitely notice going from synthetic to down is the amount of moisture the body puts out in a single night. The down unlike synthetic will rapidly loose loft, and after 2-3 nights of use it becomes readily apparent. The solution is what it always was just lay the bag on hot rocks to dry during lunch. On dry days I have started to put the bag into a non water prof stuff sack. This allows it to dry a little and not a stew in last nights sweat before I lay it out at lunch. On wet days I have a quality sea to sumit dry bag. No extra stuff sacks just shuffling things around.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 17, 2017 10:59 pm 
I've camped probably 50 nights on the west coast of Vancouver island (including Nootka island -- a great place!) and generally prefer a 25 to 30 degree bag. I don't ever recall being cold, but I can recall many times being hot (generally when I was using a 20 degree bag). But for long trips (most of mine were about a week), there is a tendency for bags to get progressively more and more damp from the marine air with each passing day. Plus, if you get sweaty at all at night, it increase the moisture buildup even more. One thing I learned was, whenever conditions in camp permit, to hang your bag out in the sun in the afternoon to help it dry out out the previous nights moisture buildup. Sometimes you will find warm, dry rocks (ideally dark-colored to hold heat) that, on a sunny afternoon, can make for an ideal place to dry out a bag.