Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Secretary of Interior proposes privatizing National Park campgrounds
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 am 
Not too much poking around leads you to the outfit that runs the Kalaloch Lodge, Delaware North LLC, the same company that runs facilities at Yellowstone, Yosemite, and who knows how many other NPS lodging facilities.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 9:14 am 
Do they also run the campground? The folks dealing with the campground were dressed in park uniforms and driving park trucks, unlike the folks at the lodge...

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 am 
Here's who runs the reservation system now: Active Network LLC (ReserveAmerica) and the Wikipedia article on the company that operates the Campgrounds: Delaware North, owned by Jeremy Jacobs
Quote:
Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts was founded in 1992 following the company's winning bid for primary concessions at Yosemite National Park.[15] The company now operates at other venues including Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls State Park, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and Gideon Putnam Resort (among others)
Xanterra is a big player too - they operate Yellowstone, Glacier, Grand Canyon and others. Xanterra is owned by Anshutz
Quote:
On August 13, 2013, the National Park Service announced that a 16-year contract would be issued to Xanterra despite the fact that the energy division had been fracking on lands adjacent to the eastern boundary of the park.
referring to Glacier NP. as for private investments in the parks
Quote:
As part of the contract, Xanterra has committed an estimated $134.5 million investment in improvements to facilities with approximately half of that money to be invested in redevelopment of lodging in the park’s Canyon Village. Additional projects include completion of Phase II of the renovation of the Lake Yellowstone Hotel, construction of new concession employee housing at Lake and Old Faithful Villages, rehabilitation of the Mammoth Haynes Photo Shop, renovations at the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel and renovation of the Fishing Bridge RV Park. These projects are scheduled to begin in 2014.
Corporations have been taking over the parks for a long time now. Washington State Parks and most of Canada contract to this company for reservations: Camis Inc

Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm 
I am starting to feel old, I remember the days when you could go to a visitor center and ask a park ranger something and get an answer, The last couple years the only answer I've gotten is "I'm not sure about that, I'm not from around here, maybe you could ask at the zanterra gift shop" yes, it has happened in the grand canyon, Yosemite, glacier, and even Yellowstone to name a few.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm 
Private corporations must make a profit or cease to exist did you really expect you would get more service for less money. If you did I have a bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn you might be interested in. doh.gif Zinke is will ahead of James Watt in the a$$holery department.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 4:55 pm 
if ya look back over the post herein the forum you should take notice of the number of people wanting to camp. So yall should have seen this coming for a long time. the U.S. govt is broke, does not have the resources to take care of the parks let alone the forests. To many areas stopped due to animal protections, wilderness protections, etc etc. Who maintains the campground table, toilets and hauls out the trash? It all costs money, so now yall is gonna pay to hike, camp, sightsee. shoulda seen it coming!!!!

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
U.S. govt is broke, does not have the resources to take care of the parks let alone the forests. To many areas stopped due to animal protections, wilderness protections, etc etc. Who maintains the campground table, toilets and hauls out the trash? It all costs money, so now yall is gonna pay to hike, camp, sightsee.
We've been paying for it for a long time in entry fees, campground fees, etc.. Do you think a private subcontractor is going to do the same job for a lower cost than hired staff will? Lower costs with outsourcing is a fallacy unless the work is going to a third world country for wages a fraction of ours.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:10 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
U.S. govt is broke
If the federal budget should be cut, how about we start with cutting procurement of weapons systems that the Pentagon doesn't want and can't use, but Congress keeps appropriating funds for.. That's actually a larger dollar expenditure than the entire department of interior. http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/28/pentagon-tells-congress-to-stop-buying-equipment-it-doesnt-need.html

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 pm 
^ both Randy and Schroder raise valid points. No way a private contractor is going to perform the same service for any less money, especially in light of the fact that they're going to be a for profit operation. Government agencies have no Congressional mandate to make a profit, let alone break even. The problem is that the nation's priorities are all screwed up, and have been for the better part of a century; Dwight Eisenhower warned the country about it in his farewell address, but the powers that be chose not to listen, so instead of investing in our infrastructure and things like National Parks (which generate huge amounts of money into local economies) and education, we piss away our national treasure into the bottomless pit of defense contracts and subsidizing multinational corporate giants.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:41 am 
randyhiker:"USFS typical campground "tent site" $16 / night". is this an established campground or one like rattlesnake in the methow that used to be free and now charges a fee? and how much is the fee? fees have gone up since I last camped in an established cg. I only paid $7 for a night.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 10:18 am 
There is wide variation on campground pricing. Mostly it depends on who got the contract to manage it same with National Parks. On our last trip to the SW we stayed in NF, NP, BLM, and State Parks in California, Utah, Colorado, Oregon, and New Mexico. State parks were the most expensive but were generally cleaner and had showers and hookups. BLM were cheapest free or $7. NP $20 except where Xanterra managed going to $30. Geezer pass works in federally owned ones. Very few federally managed ones except BLM. They get seniors to be campground host to do the dirty work in exchange for a place to stay all summer. In Oregon the concessionaire was charging thru hikers a daily parking fee but enough people complained and the changed the policy. Your results may vary.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
drm

drm
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 11:15 am 
The NPS may not need to make a profit, but Federal employers are sometimes required or at least cajoled to pay a decent ("prevailing") wage and not squeeze employees as much as private employers can.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 pm 
Yes, I think outsourcing is mostly about labor costs. Pensions are a big difference. Sad to hear all this even if I don't camp in campgrounds much.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 11:39 am 
I suspect in this particular case the "privatizing" is mostly about throwing a few bones to a couple of well-placed companies and having another talking point in the "run government like a business" fairy tale. If it happens watch real hard to see if we'll ever be shown a fair comparison of the net effect on park budgets. As noted above by a few folks, a fair bit of campground related labor has already made to the "outsourced" stage - this proposal goes well beyond that...

drm

drm
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm 
So is this about hiring concessionaires to run campgrounds or genuinely privatizing them? The former is pretty common but the latter implies actually selling them and I've never heard of that. Maybe the reporter was just being careless with wording as they do refer to concessionaires in the article.