Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawkins Mt. via backdoor route - 6/17/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 3:53 pm 
I'd seen some recent TRs showing that Hawkins was mostly snow-free, so Pebbles and I decided to go check it out. FS 4330 is a little bumpier this year than usual. Turned off on FS 138 and then drove up FS 140 until we couldn't go any further (just under 3500'). Snagged the third and final spot in the tiny parking area just after 10am. After a quarter mile on #1392, we came to what appeared to be an old parking area (?) and followed a boot path up the ridge to Pt. 4472. I lost the boot path a couple hundred feet above this but ultimately found the abandoned #1228 trail around 5000'. Broke out of the woods around 5200' with views of Hawkins directly to the NE. The moonscape ridge walking was fun. Pebbles was pretty excited to find some lingering patches of snow to roll around in.
P1220826-Pano
P1220826-Pano
The slope got much steeper around 5700'. Topped out on a nice ridgeline around 6500' before making the final push up to the false summit. We picked our way across the rocks over to the true summit, avoiding some lingering cornices on the east side. Great 360 views up there!
Enjoyed conversation with a nice fellow named John and his two pups on the summit. He was headed down the standard route (the ridge SE of what I came up) and invited me to join him. Pebbles had a blast with her new doggy friends and I enjoyed talking about mountains for two hours with John. After some steep descents, we caught the Boulder-DeRoux trail and followed it back to the cars.
Another fine day in the hills up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jun 18, 2017 7:43 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Too cute!! wub.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm 
Same route. One day later.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 3:53 pm 

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 am 
Just did that route yesterday, a lot of bang for the buck with those views and not too much effort, gotta love long ridge walks up.gif

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver