Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fatal Black Bear Attack in Alaska (corrected)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
That's not actually funny. You could replace the picture of the bear with a human, have the same caption, and it would be MUCH MORE ACCURATE, AS WELL AS HAPPEN A LOT MORE OFTEN - BY ORDERS and ORDERS OF MAGINITUDE.
Totally agree that the picture is not funny, but the response just confirmed the view of the provoker in that it makes a false statement about the nature of grizzlies and humans. There are only 1,500 grizzlies in the continental U.S. and they've been killing about one person per year of late. In Chicago the rate is one murder per 3,600 people. So grizzlies are about twice as likely to kill you as the average person from Chicago. I guess you could see that as good news or bad news based on your view of how safe you feel in Chicago. One way to look at it is that a five hour hike in grizzly country is like living ten hours in Chicago. Humans are not more dangerous than grizzlies and to defend the bears with that argument confirms the belief of some that the grizzly supporters make irrational decisions. (I think the assumptions made in my statistics are justified for an order of magnitude analysis and probably also a relative comparison.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:55 am 
The smoke is really bad here, too.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:06 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
about 4 years ago the fishing on this lake was great,
I know the lake you refer to...It used to have real nice cutthroat in it, good size. About 20 years ago I met a couple other float tubers on it and they turned me on to a water boatman pattern that worked so well for that lake. I spent a couple hours catching and releasing some real nice fish. Water so clear you could watch them take the fly 10' down. It has a 2 fish limit but unfortunately the bait fishermen have fished it almost bare. I have observed some serious poaching there....and I quit fishing it a few years ago. It is on a stocking cycle but I doubt the carry overs make it long enough to get any size to them .

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm 
So what is your plan when a bear is stalking you? Better repent to Keku and accept Pepe as your one true savior!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 8:51 pm 
The lawnmower races are in Morton this Friday night. I think the mayhem starts around 6ish and there are usually some entertaining crashes to see.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 9:13 pm 
Doesn't matter what I think, get right with Pepe bruh

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:02 pm 
Of all of the early wrench sets that came with some sort of device to hold them together, this Bridgeport Tool Company "Hy-Power" set has a rather unique mechanism that holds the set together. The US Patent 1809450 was applied for in 1928 and issued June 9, 1931 to one Arthur I. Platt, the assignee being the Bridgeport Tool Company in Bridgeport, Connecticut. Another interesting feature is that each wrench is stamped with the SAE size on one side, and the metric size on the other. Those of you who can covert inches to millimeters will note that it would appear they made their best rough guess when stamping the metric sizes on each piece. It is assumed that the tolerances for metric fasteners (which would have been pretty rare in this country during the early 1930s) were not a matter of great concern for the manufacturer.
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6 pc SAE metric open end wrench set 01
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6 pc SAE metric open end wrench set 01
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 02
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 02
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 03
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 03
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 04
Bridgeport Hy-Power 6-pc SAE metric open end wrench set 04

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 10:20 pm 
I think you won Ski I'am not entering my belt sander in any race against your Porter Cable. Game of Thrones new episodes Sunday nights.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 11:08 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
(I think the assumptions made in my statistics are justified for an order of magnitude analysis and probably also a relative comparison.)
You are wrong on both assumptions.
Bernardo wrote:
Humans are not more dangerous than grizzlies
That depends on the criteria you arbitrarily use to evaluate the relative dangers posed by humans and bears.
Bernardo wrote:
and to defend the bears with that argument confirms the belief of some that the grizzly supporters make irrational decisions.
Likewise it confirms that those opposed to grizzly bears are irrational. As a matter of fact, your entire post above is illogical. I would also add you are off on your of number of grizzly bear fatal attacks in Lower 48. In the last thirty years (as of today) there have been nine people killed in grizzly bear attacks in the Lower 48. That is a rate of 0.3 fatalities per year over a thirty year period. And that is not an order of magnitude analysis but a fact. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 pm 
Well, I was using a shorter period. Today's conditions are more similar to next year's than those from thirty years ago so it's reasonable to not weight data from thirty years ago equal with data from the last ten years. It's just nonsense to argue that humans are more dangerous than grizzlies.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:25 pm 
Comparing grizzlies to humans is like comparing a blade of grass to a refrigerator magnet.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm 
Fair enough. I agree it's pretty pointless.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:32 pm 
I meant to continue that thought: Grizzlies are relatively dangerous in grizzly country, if you cross paths with them. Humans are dangerous in town, when you meet someone who means harm or you happen into some bad luck with an inattentive driver or some other human-caused folly. The two situations are so different as to be uncomparable.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 8:41 pm 
But it's fun to talk about the dangers we face in our world. I've never hiked in grizzly country and when I do I'm going to be on high alert because it's a real thing, and different. As a city dweller I've always got my eyes, ears and mind attuned, at least on the back burner, to the dangers. I definitely think humans are the ones to watch out for in most situations.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Aug 09, 2017 5:03 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Well, I was using a shorter period. Today's conditions are more similar to next year's than those from thirty years ago so it's reasonable to not weight data from thirty years ago equal with data from the last ten years.
I know you were using a shorter period which is a huge problem when trying to interpret data. You have used too small of a sample years to draw any meaningful conclusions. That is why using data from from the last thirty years show a more complete picture than just from the last six years. But that was just one of your errors in your attempt to compare humans to grizzlies. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."