Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:12 pm 
Snuffy wrote:
Your sleep pad could be lighter. I have a Neoair at 9.4 oz.
Comparing a size small air pad to another of a different size may not be very revelvent. I carry a much heavier air-pad, but mine is extra-long, & extra-wide. There's a lot of the lightweight gear and clothing options that simply aren't available to the tall & broad shouldered subset of the population. Getting down to the minimum trail weight that your individual circumstances, preferences, experience, and finances allow is a worthwhile goal. I really think it takes a lot of actual experience, and experimenting to see what might be the ideal kit .

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Comparing a size small air pad to another of a different size may not be very revelvent.
I totally agree. I made the comparison because the OP listed a petite size pad and thus could have been comparable. smile.gif In the UL book I referenced there is the suggestion that one does not need their pad to be full size and can make up the difference with their pack (as I have done in the past). It definitely boils down to personal preference and how much a lower pack weight matters to each person.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 1:27 pm 
Ok so now we're talking about sleep systems. This can be a bit of a rabbit hole, but here are the basics. The bag, pad and any supplemental clothing combine to keep you warm. A shortie works fine during summer when the ground is warm, but during the shoulder seasons exposes your legs to the cold ground. Adding your pack and just about everything else suitable in your pack helps to increase the r value under your legs, but you will still find yourself losing significant heat. The only way to make that up is to take a heavier bag and more supplemental clothing which negates any weight savings and more than likely makes your kit heavier. I used a shortie before the Neoair type pads. The weight savings between the shortie and full length post neoair makes a shortie much harder to justify especially with the price tags on these suckers. If your going to own one pad get a full length one. Since we're talking about sleep systems look into vapor barriers. An advanced topic for sure. For beginners as crazy as it sounds just remember that plastic directly to skin (that's right directly against skin) makes you much warmer. Putting a plastic grocery bag or zip on your feet or hands and then putting socks over it can make the difference between too cold to sleep and very comfortable. Alcohol stoves are great if the trip is less than 3-4 days between resupply. After that the inefficiency of the fuel means your carrying more weight than a canister stove. As a beginner I would be careful about trying to go ultralight to fast. The lighter you go the more skill sets are needed to make it work. There are also a lot of strong opinions about which gear is best. It needs to be best for you. If your interest in long distance hiking your gear selection can be much different than a weekender. An example the lighter sawyer mini is slower than a squeeze. However after weeks and weeks of filtering water that couple extra ounces might seem rather insignificant. The be free is supposedly much faster than the squeeze, but is new and if you go that route you will be a beta tester. If you can I would get on the Pct this year as the thru hikers come by. It's a really intense communal laboratory, and if they are still using the gear in Washington it's proven itself.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 3:19 pm 
People seem to focus on the big three, but it's all the other little stuff that really starts to add up. I'm always amazed at what sized knives people think they need. I've never found too many #4 Phillips head screws in the woods, nor had to field dress a deer in all my years of backpacking. Yet I see plenty of half pound multi-tools, and Ka-bar sized knifes being carried by people. (I've used the 1.3 ounce Victornix Classic for at least 20 years). I've recently even dropped bringing a head-lamp. I'm don't spend a lot of time moving around after dark. There are plenty of really brite Keychain lights that are very adequate. I use this Inova one. Clothing should be an area you give a lot of thought to. On water treatment there are lots of options. I normally use the Saywer mini, but it depends on where I'm going. If your going to have streams with glacial silt, you're better with an old school field cleanable MSR pump. I always keep a foil ten-pack of clorine dioxide tabs in my essentials bag, doesn't weigh anything and provides a backup to whatever water treatment I brought along.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 8:33 am 
You can save an ounce by not bringing a knife at all. When you need something sharp, find a rock and bash it with another rock. Now you have a sharp flake. Is that ultralight overkill? smile.gif But ya, the full sized Leathermans are completely unnecessary.

kite

kite
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 10:21 am 
not sure if this is any help or not, but my gear list as of this spring Backpack - ZPacks Arc Blast - 17.1 Tent - Skyscape X w/ stakes - 16.7 Ground cloth – Tyvek - 3.0 Sleeping Bag -Enlightened Equipment - 16.0 NeoAir XLite - 12.0 Stove - Jetboil Sol Titanium - 9.9 Fuel - 6.5 Food Storage - Ursack - 8.0 Sawyer Mini Water Filter - 2.0 1QT water bottle - 1.0 2 Lt water bag - 1.0 Jacket - WM Flash - 10.0 Rain Jacket - Zpacks Challenger - 5.8 Rain pants - Mont-bell - 4.0 First-Aid kit / 10 essentials - 9.0 Travel Wipes - 1.0 Toilet Paper - 1.0 Mosquito wipes - 1.0 Suunto Mini Compass - 0.95 Petzl Tikkina Headlamp - 0.95 Whistle - 0.5 Tooth Brush - 0.5 Spoon - 0.5 Glasses - 0.5 Bic Lighter - 0.5 Stuff sack (clothing) - 0.25 Stuff sack (Misc Items) - 0.25 Plastic bag (trash) - 0.25 Plastic bag (food) - 0.25 * iPhone 6 (gps) - 5.0 * Trekking Pole / monopod - 8.0 * Camera - 9.8 Bandanna - 1.1 Beanie - 1.0 Jacket - Nano Puff (13oz) Wet Weather - 0.0 Windbreaker Jackorack - 3.5 Gloves - 3.0 Underwear - 2.5 Sock's - 1.2 Bandanna - 1.1 Beanie - 1.0 167.6 OZ 10.5 LBs

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 2:33 pm 
Kite, You didn't indicate what your normally wearing. You may be someone who doesn't need a great deal of warmth, but this would seem to be a bit lacking for any really cold shoulder season nights/mornings. Do you bring ever bring any insulated pants/bottoms? A mid-layer that you can hike in without overheating or be in a sauna; is a real priority for me. A 100 weight fleece, OR Ferrosi, or Patagonia R1 Hoodie is really ideal. These can be layered under the puffy as well. The Primaloft Patagonia Nano Puff is not that particularly warm. (I have one). At a similar weight in ounces; a 850+ fill down hooded puffy is dramatically warmer.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 5:42 pm 
Just got back from a trip used my Altaplex which worked great with room for me and all my gear. The tent didn't move in 40 mph gusts, used the MLD Prophet, Zpacks 30 degree bag, BeFree filter, split a Jetboil, trail runners also helped.

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 5:56 pm 
kite wrote:
Jacket - WM Flash - 10.0 Rain Jacket - Zpacks Challenger - 5.8
I have been using a MH Ghost Whisperer for the last three years, the WM Flash is really nice though, I have the pants for early mornings, nights, and as a layering piece in the sleep system. How do you like the Challenger I may get one of those eventually. up.gif

kite

kite
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 6:08 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Kite, You didn't indicate what your normally wearing. You may be someone who doesn't need a great deal of warmth, but this would seem to be a bit lacking for any really cold shoulder season nights/mornings. Do you bring ever bring any insulated pants/bottoms? A mid-layer that you can hike in without overheating or be in a sauna; is a real priority for me. A 100 weight fleece, OR Ferrosi, or Patagonia R1 Hoodie is really ideal. These can be layered under the puffy as well. The Primaloft Patagonia Nano Puff is not that particularly warm. (I have one). At a similar weight in ounces; a 850+ fill down hooded puffy is dramatically warmer.
So i am pretty fat, don't really get very cold most of the time also I should have conditioned the pack as a "summer pack" in the list is a western mountaineering puffy (Jacket-WM Flash) & wind shell along with a rain jacket & pants if i can keep the wind off and my ears / hands warm i don't need much more. In the fall and winter I would add a base-layer and maybe a mid-layer. changing out the WM for the Nano.

kite

kite
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 6:13 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
kite wrote:
Jacket - WM Flash - 10.0 Rain Jacket - Zpacks Challenger - 5.8
I have been using a MH Ghost Whisperer for the last three years, the WM Flash is really nice though, I have the pants for early mornings, nights, and as a layering piece in the sleep system. How do you like the Challenger I may get one of those eventually. up.gif
I liked the challenger a lot until this spring when i picked up OR Helium II on sale, its just a tad bit heavier, but a much nicer jacket. breaths better and packs smaller. So the pants are wearing well? I keep thinking would get a pair for the shoulder seasons.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 6:08 am 
I am using the OR Helium right now the WM Flash pants get the job done around camp and at night they seem warm over light weight capilene bottoms with a reinforced seat. They block the wind well. Hit the Trail has the Flash jacket which looks to be a little more substantial and better made.I have a Patagonia Houdini I have used on dayhikes and backpacks when I know I am going out when high pressure is firmly in place and it worked well and dried quickly in light sustained rain.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 7:27 am 
wildernessed wrote:
I am using the OR Helium right now the WM Flash pants get the job done around camp and at night they seem warm over light weight capilene bottoms with a reinforced seat. They block the wind well. Hit the Trail has the Flash jacket which looks to be a little more substantial and better made.I have a Patagonia Houdini I have used on dayhikes and backpacks when I know I am going out when high pressure is firmly in place and it worked well and dried quickly in light sustained rain.
I wish they had either of those jackets available in a tall. I've tried on both the Helium and Houdini, and they're simply not long enough.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 6:59 am 
Well I have been out on several trips with some ul gear... MLD Prophet cuben : 14 oz. Zpacks 30 bag : 16 oz. Zpacks Altaplex : 17.9 oz Neo air pad : 12 oz. Befree .6L filter and Seeker 3L res. 2.05 oz. / 3.1 oz. Split jet boil stove / cartridge or use Snowpeak Solo cup Along with my 12 oz. a pair trail runners felt pretty good. Clothes and food weigh in at the most now. Add on gps, fishing pole, camera, and water but pretty light overall. Clothes are maximized for lightness, warmth, compressibility, food about a lb. per / day. I have some extras and redundancy with some items but had 14 lb. 8 oz. totally packed / everything included for a 3 day.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 7:04 am 
Thanks for the explanation Wildy. Good set up there. I'm going to try that this summer. I've picked up some weight I'm trying to get rid of and carrying less will make that easier. I have everything you do, except I've got a Six Moons Skyscape X at 15 ozs. Also, Ill be using one of my McHale day packs for carrying. They work so well for me Ill carry a little extra weight with them.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln