Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chair Peak ~ NE Buttress ~ 6-22-17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 pm 
Damon and I climbed Chair yesterday via the NE Buttress Route. Fun stuff. We were hiking up the Snow Lake Trail before 8. It was snow-free for the first mile or so. We took the Source Lake Cutoff, then took a snow-filled gully up toward the divide. The section of thick small evergreens was kind of a PITA with deep holes to watch out for. Chair Peak Basin still has a lot of snow but also huge sucker holes to watch out for.
our route on the right
our route on the right
coming up through the trees
coming up through the trees
Chair Peak - NE Buttress - 6-22-17
Chair Peak - NE Buttress - 6-22-17
We took a high route to get to the base of the buttress. It involved a fairly steep-angle traverse with bad runout, and a sketchy transition from snow to rock. One of the two cruxes of the day.
crappy shot of the traverse and transition to rock
crappy shot of the traverse and transition to rock
We dropped some gear at the base of the buttress and roped up. The climbing we could see looked easy so we decided to simul-climb. Damon lead up the rightward slanting gully to the trees above.
looking up from the base of the route
looking up from the base of the route
At the top of what would have been the first pitch, there is a large bench with many trees. From there, the next bit of climbing looked super easy, class 2/3. We continued simulling through here.
easy blocky climbing nearing our 1st and only pitch of belayed climbing
easy blocky climbing nearing our 1st and only pitch of belayed climbing
We eventually came to an anchor below what looked like 5th class terrain and set up a belay. The crux pitch was super fun and a little scary. Unlike the rest of the route, this pitch has fairly good rock. It also protected fairly well. The crux is just below the anchor at the top, and was pretty tricky with big exposure. I was wearing approach shoes, and rock shoes would have made it a little easier. We descended skiers left of here and got some good perspective of what we'd climbed.
looking over at the crux pitch from and rappel route
looking over at the crux pitch from and rappel route
looking down from the top of the pitch
looking down from the top of the pitch
From the top of our one pitch, it was an easy scramble to the summit, my 70th Smoot Peak. Great views. No register.
Snow Lake from the summit
Snow Lake from the summit
Chair Peak
Chair Peak
Snoqualmie Crest
Snoqualmie Crest
The descent took 6 raps, with some down-climbing and one class 3 traverse. A 60m rope wasn't quite enough for the upper raps but the down-climbing was easy. Instead of repeating the sketchy snow, we followed the ridge further east and rappelled down a gully thats just above Thumbtack Rock. It looked like it had a break in the snow mid-way up but it was easily navigable. In retrospect, this would have been a much safer way to access the ridge.
crappy upside-down rappel shot
crappy upside-down rappel shot
rap 3 I think
rap 3 I think
traverse
traverse
Damon on rap 6
Damon on rap 6
pleasant descent
pleasant descent
Our descent was quick and easy. It was hot. Tacos were inhaled at The Commonwealth.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm 
Thanks for the report. I don't remember very many reports of doing this on rock -- it seems to be mostly a winter ice climbing route. But I could also be way out of the loop on rock climbing destinations.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 1:09 pm 
Good TR. Fun route. Yeah the crux has huge exposure to climber's left.
puzzlr wrote:
I don't remember very many reports of doing this on rock -- it seems to be mostly a winter ice climbing route.
NW Buttress has been a popular rock route for decades. I would guess it gets climbed more often than all other CP rock routes combined. AFAIK it's a Mountaineers and Boealps basic climb. Most parties descend via the S Chimney route via double rope rap.
Fletcher wrote:
We took a high route to get to the base of the buttress. It involved a fairly steep-angle traverse with bad runout, and a sketchy transition from snow to rock. One of the two cruxes of the day. * * * . . . a gully thats just above Thumbtack Rock. . . In retrospect, this would have been a much safer way to access the ridge.
The gully above The Thumbtack is a popular access. There's an even easier access via a pretty mellow wideish gully to the Snow Lake divide, followed by a pleasant walk on the divide to the base of the buttress.

cartman

cartman
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 5:51 pm 
Good one, I gotta do Chair someday. Preferably with more snow.
Fletcher wrote:
traverse
traverse
That's class 3??

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 9:52 pm 
^^^ Not nearly as hard as it looks Eric, and the immediate exposure wasn't bad.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 am 
cartman wrote:
That's class 3?
Yup, it's steppy/ledgy class 3 to the bottom of the short crux pitch and class 3 above that. The crux, a clean shallow open book, has a mid-5th smear move or two, but it's pretty short with a good "whew" belay station above the crux. Some people climb a bit tougher pitch to climber's right of the standard crux. fletcher does a good job describing the route.
cartman wrote:
Good one, I gotta do Chair someday. Preferably with more snow.
I've done the route 5-6 times and prefer it after the snow melts off the rock route, although it's nice to have snow in Chair Peak basin if you're descending the S chimney route (recommended if you have two ropes for the rap). IMV, the route deserves classic basic alpine rock route in the Snoq Pass area, along with Tooth S Face and Thompson W Ridge.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:07 am 
cartman wrote:
Good one, I gotta do Chair someday. Preferably with more snow. ... That's class 3??
FWIW: The Southeast Route on Chair is class 3 with much less exposure. When my dad and I did the NE buttress decades ago -- we descended via the Southeast Route -- we did 1 rappel to the snow in the gully instead of down climbing on wet rock.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:15 am 
Randy, if you're talking about the S Chimney route, there's some 4th class stem moves. There is a seldom done greasy heathery 3rd class route on the rib to the climber's left of the chimney that is accessed via traversing from the basin E of Bryant Col. The NE Buttress is a much better route, i.e., more fun, more aesthetic and less greasy, that those two routes. ETA: 20+ years ago, a rock horn in the S Chimney route anchor flaked off, killing a Seattle MD who was using the horn as a rap anchor. I saw rap runners on that crumbly horn several times and, when I did, I worked my way over there and stripped the anchors off the horn to discourage anyone using the horn as an anchor. More specifically I stripped runners off the horn a few days before the fatal accident. I could not image any sane person rapping off that horn but, sadly, I wasn't surprised when I heard of the fatality. ETA2: Mountaineers description of the NE Buttress route. Note the access to the ridge R of the Thumbtack which I described in my prior post. I was under the impression that the Mounties no longer do the S Chimneys or SE rib route as a basic climb, and that the NE Buttress is a popular Mounties basic climb.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:18 am 
Steve, I believe we climbed the tougher crux pitch and rapped down the easier open-book crux that is over climbers left maybe 20 yards. If we'd climbed any further right, we'd of been out on the north face.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:37 am 
I figured that you might have. We climbed that on our 1st NE Buttress trip. Next time try the open book. It's clean and different (smearing) altough not that much easier. The absence of good pro opportunity below the crux and big exposure to immediate left while smearing the crux heightens the pucker factor. Mid-5th smear moves, pretty easy in rock shoes, more challenging in boots. This TR takes me back to the days when I did the NE Buttress route every year or two, always with a new partner.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
There is a seldom done greasy heathery 3rd class route on the rib to the climber's left of the chimney that is accessed via traversing from the basin E of Bryant Col.
Is that what Becky calls "Thumbtack face" ? We've gone that way as well, but with my sister's and younger brother. We probably rapelled past those stem moves. I don't recall what we used as an anchor - it was in 1975 after all. Class 3 vs class 4 - Isn't main difference not so much difficulty but exposure? E.g. c In class 3 a slip would result in short fall only and perhaps a busted ankle. Whereas class 4 a fall would be longer and more likely result in severe injury, but there are enough terrain features that the leader doesn't need to place protection to avoid falling to the ground. Class 5.0 being the same difficulty again, but exposure such that the leader needs to place protection along their lead to prevent "falling to the ground" Of course the cynic would point out that -- given the rock quality on Chair Peak that the old rule: "The leader must not fall and nobody else either" applies to all routes.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 2:46 pm 
Did the 3rd class route when we traversed the ridge from Denny back in the day. On the shoulder of Chair there was a marker calling or Bryant ( think it ins mentioned in Brown Becky) the route is not esthetic but logical if already at Bryant Chair col.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gb

gb
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 am 
I did the NE buttress years ago and don't recall details but probably have them written down in journals. If anyone thinks the E face might be a good follow-up, the route is mid-5th but is very poorly protected. I recall just a stopper or two on the crux pitch. And that is the problem or limitation on climbs throughout the Snoqualmie area; finding good rock that also has protection. For me, I found just a handful or so of routes that were good enough to repeat. The good ones can be quite enjoyable. But you can also climb yourself into no man's land.

ScottP

ScottP
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 5:26 pm 
Quote:
If anyone thinks the E face might be a good follow-up, the route is mid-5th but is very poorly protected. I recall just a stopper or two on the crux pitch.
That was my experience on the east face. I remember placing two small wired stoppers or RP's. Not hard, but a very heads-up lead.