Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > You've Gotta Be sh##'n Me!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm 
Even TV sets use "class" as a qualifier now 65" class is actually 64 something diagonal, who measures something that way? At,least I understand why 2x4's are not 2x4. You kids get off my lawn!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 3:54 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
The plaintiffs are probably hoping for some sort of undisclosed terms settlement from HD just avoid bad PR.
If HD has insurance coverage on the claim (likely), the insurance carrier has the right to control settlement under the terms of the policy. We talked about this re the Monika v. REI case. The carrier has a strong incentive to fight lest more stupid cases like this will follow.
Yes, in the one case that I was directly involved with (software patents) an undisclosed terms settlement was eventually reached. I wasn't briefed on the exact details, but the in-house attorneys I worked with indicated that they spent far more preparing for and picking apart in motions than was paid out in settlement. The most critical victory was the motion to change the venue from Marshall county TX to San Francisco, CA. A settlement was reached very quickly after the change in venue.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 pm 
Historically 2x4 studs were based on a theoretical pre-planed, pre-dried board. Kiln drying results in an even smaller board than air dried, so most lumber has been cut less than 2x4 for most people on this forum lives. At some point finished board size was reduced from that expectation. My memory says ca 1975, but I wouldn't be on that. Argument was adequate strength for most common uses while getting more wood from logs. Vaguer memory was that this allowed chip-saws users that were vogue in B.C. at the time were big pushers of standard change. They could get lumber a little farther towards the top as it tapered smaller. It would be malpractice to sell non-standard lumber sizes without some special warning. And of course pipe has a standard o.d. for a size, not a common i.d. Thank heavens. How would you ever join pipe of two different schedules? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:25 pm 
My dad and I tore down an old house which actually contained 2x4s that were 2x4 . They were rough cut.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:52 pm 
When I was a teenager, I helped build a few structures where the owner actually had logs milled to actual dimensions. It was mostly nostalgic and I learned a lot about how houses use to be built. I still have a problem operating his "push button" light switches. Ugh!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 4:59 pm 
Sounds like the hike wasn't long enough.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am 
Before calling anyone else stupid, when you pay $99.99 for something, do you say $99 or $100?

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 11:10 am 
alpendave wrote:
Before calling anyone else stupid, when you pay $99.99 for something, do you say $99 or $100?
If your in the City of Seattle that will $110 (if it doesn't contain any sugar), and you can't get a bag to take it home. Happily south of Seattle.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Jun 26, 2017 2:33 pm 
InFlight wrote:
alpendave wrote:
If your in the City of Seattle that will $110 (if it doesn't contain any sugar), and you can't get a bag to take it home. Happily south of Seattle.
Hence why I always refer to it as overseas. Anything to make it sound as far away as possible from the Kitsap. Plus, it's true in the literal sense.