Forum Index > Trip Reports > Summit Lake (Clearwater Wilderness) 6/25/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
yorknl

yorknl
PostSun Jun 25, 2017 9:01 pm 
A quick note on this hike, which I enjoyed this afternoon in lieu of the 90s down in the lowlands. The Cayada Creek road continues to deteriorate; it's passable, but in pending old age I've lost enthusiasm for bouncing my head on the top of my car (Toyota 4-Runner) and therefore spent around 40 minutes navigating the 6.5 miles each direction from the Carbon road. The supply of protruding rocks and potholes is very good though they do thin out a bit in miles 4 and 5. The craters just past the bridge over the Carbon at the bottom of the hill are impressive; I saw a couple of Prii and Minis poking their noses up from the depths. Trail has a few patches of mud and snow just before Twin Lake before clearing up for the most part until maybe half a mile shy of Summit Lake, at which point snow becomes frequent (though not constant). The lake basin itself still has several feet of snow; I lost the trail altogether right about at the point that the lake becomes visible, so navigation isn't a huge issue - plenty of people have been there already and there are solid bootpaths to follow through the trees. The lake itself looked mostly open though, but with a fair amount of icy patches. Sunny high spots on the little ridges around the lake were exposed, but otherwise it was still pretty wintry. Other than the snow issues and scattered mud, the trail's in very good shape with no downed trees. I was concerned though that someone from the USFS would issue me a citation for not hiking with a dog; it appears they're mandatory in this area. It's a lovely, easy hike and the snow on a clear day was very pretty.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mosquito Food
This is how we do it

Mosquito Food
This is how we do it
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 7:55 pm 
yorknl wrote:
I was concerned though that someone from the USFS would issue me a citation for not hiking with a dog; it appears they're mandatory in this area.
LOL bawl.gif Love this. I feel that way too sometimes!

Fueled by cornbread
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message