Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > You've Gotta Be sh##'n Me!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm 
This is just plain irritating http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/business/retail/2017/06/21/whacked-4-x-4-menards-home-depot-face-lawsuits-over-descriptions-lumber-size/405300001/ Is the Quarter Pounder really a quarter of a pound. Anybody ever weigh it? A sheet of 1/2 in plywood isn't actually 1/2 inches thick. It's 7 /16" God damn, I could go on and on

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 2:08 pm 
Rick Romell, reporting for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal wrote:
But an unscientific survey of 18 Menards shoppers found that about a third were unaware that “4x4” doesn’t represent actual dimensions of that piece of lumber.
Which goes to show that there are no limits to the stupidity of the American public.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 2:41 pm 
Ski wrote:
Which goes to show that there are no limits to the stupidity of the American public.
Which goes to show that there are no limits to people who have a piece of specific knowledge, calling people who don't also have that particular piece of specific knowledge, stupid.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 3:47 pm 
That lawsuit should be dismissed for failure of the ability to satisfy the reasonable reliance or right to rely element and per the doctrine of trade usage. It has been universal trade usage for decades that 4x4 finish lumber (i.e., planed) starts out 4" x 4" and gets planed down to 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" before it is sold. (Distinguish a rough cut 4x4, which is actually 4" x 4".) Reasonable reliance/right to rely example: If a guy advertises a red car for sale and before buying you it see that it's actually a blue car and you proceed to buy it, a claim for fraud will be dismissed because you cannot satisfy the reasonable reliance/right to rely element. That is, under the law, you cannot reasonably rely and/or do not have the right to rely on the guy's statement that "it's a red car" because you can see it's a blue car.
Bootpathguy wrote:
A sheet of 1/2 in plywood isn't actually 1/2 inches thick. It's 7 /16"
Most 1/2" plywood actual thickness is 15/32" or 31/64".

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 4:31 pm 
The plaintiffs are probably hoping for some sort of undisclosed terms settlement from HD just avoid bad PR. OR the plaintiff's attorney is named "Lionel Hutz"

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 4:51 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Most 1/2" plywood actual thickness is 31/32" or 15/16"
1/2" plywood is almost an inch thick??

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Most 1/2" plywood actual thickness is 31/32" or 15/16"
You mean 15/32 or 7/16.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm 
Randy wrote:
The plaintiffs are probably hoping for some sort of undisclosed terms settlement from HD just avoid bad PR.
My guess is that the attorney that chose to take this on clearly didn't bother doing any research on John Menard. .... and I think that what they call 1/2" plywood is actually something like 15/32" and has been for some time.... those are minor details that one has to factor in on dado cuts and the like....

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mike

mike
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 7:32 pm 
A lot of plywood is made overseas now and is metric but converted to our nominal sizes. FWIW US is slapping a big tariff on Chinese plywood so expect the price to go up as suppliers switch to domestic supply. The Chinese stuff is pretty good and I'll be curious to see if the domestic product is up to that standard.

AR

AR
PostFri Jun 23, 2017 8:58 pm 
Our standard American 2x4. Some years back I took an actual measurement of this standard American board. Nothing made sense after that day. It's all wild measurements in a sea of lies. breakdance.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:17 am 
part of the right of passage for making stuff was figuring out what actual sizes anything would actually be. The Entitled Dumb Ones of America now want it all brought down to their level? Wait til the Entitled Dumb Ones take on a plumbing project.....sheeeeeesh. Heck, a major part of mechanical engineering is figuring out actual sizes and tolerances versus "nominal sizes".

friluftsliv
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 am 
These boards start out at the nominal dimensions stated in a "green" state. Interior construction boards are air dried to reduce the water content and shrink in the process. The plys cut for plywood are kiln dried, and likewise shrink. You can get surfaced on one side or two, with standard final sizes. Ignorance of lumber grades and sizes is a stupid class action suit. Outdoor pressure treated wood is sold green, and is the sold full size.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 am 
Conrad wrote:
1/2" plywood is almost an inch thick??
Steve wrote:
You mean 15/32 or 7/16.
Oops. I corrected that. 1/2" plywood is actually 15/32" or 31/64" thick.
RandyHiker wrote:
The plaintiffs are probably hoping for some sort of undisclosed terms settlement from HD just avoid bad PR.
If HD has insurance coverage on the claim (likely), the insurance carrier has the right to control settlement under the terms of the policy. We talked about this re the Monika v. REI case. The carrier has a strong incentive to fight lest more stupid cases like this will follow.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 9:08 am 
I can't wait for some one suing because standard schedule 40 PVC pipe diameters are not the exact ID that their labeled. Flat head screws don't have the advertised thread length, what a travisty.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
And it's true with lots of other stuff. You have a loan where you make monthly payments where the nominal interest rate is 6.0%? Surprise! It's really 6.1678%!