Forum Index > Trip Reports > Observation Rock, Russell and Flett Glaciers - 7/1-2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 9:05 pm 
Setup camp near some lake just below the Flett Glacier. Surprisingly little snow at Spray Park. Lots of walking and some patchy snow fields start maybe a mile below the Flett Glacier. Did an evening lap on the Flett headwall. I booted up the wall, a highly questionable endeavor without crampons but it was solid, and a fine mental training exercise. This wall is really steep, and just keeps getting steeper and steeper until you top out. I'd estimate the upper stretch to be 55 degrees. The rest of the group went around the back-side and we met up and hit the summit of observation rock. The headwall skied with great enjoyment for all and we returned to camp. The next day we went up the Russell glacier. Took it to the top except for the very final snow field, around 9600ft where we stopped. I want to climb Liberty Ridge so bad now!

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 3:40 pm 
up.gif cool trip, nicely done. May do Russell tomorrow myself.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message