Forum Index > Trail Talk > Oregon wilderness permitting on the horizon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 1:20 pm 
I was born in Oregon and spent most of my growing up years on the Washington side of the Columbia River about an hour east of Portland. Cut my teeth hiking in the Gorge and a little bit around Mt. Hood, so hiking in Oregon is near and dear to my heart even though the vast majority of my hiking now is in Washington from I-90 northward. One thing to consider is that Oregon has a lot less miles of trail in alpine areas compared to Washington. A lot less. This proposal would be taking away quite a bit of those miles from many hikers. Kinda sucks for them. The article doesn't get into specifics. Doesn't mention how many permits might be held for walk ups each day. Doesn't talk about what number the quotas will be set at, either. The devil is in the details I guess. Much of the Sierras are subject to a quota system (although only for overnight users, not day hikers). I've been able to get walk up permits for wherever I've wanted to go in the Sierras on several different occasions. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should. But then think about the lottery for the Enchantments, Wonderland Trail, St. Helens summit...maybe a few others? Those all get gobbled up instantaneously. If you don't apply at the beginning of the year and happen to get lucky enough to have your name drawn, it's not an option for you for an entire year. Those are just a few places, and here in Washington we have many, many other choices (plus you can still day hike the 'Chants and sections of the Wonderland). But spontaneity is out the window, and you have no clue what the weather is going to be like during a given window of time during the summer when you are filling out an application in late winter or early spring. I just imagine this completely sucks for people living in Bend. They have all kinds of options for nearby day hiking currently, and most of them might be taken away from them. Not cool.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 1:26 pm 
Also, I can understand if PCT thru hikers are exempted from the quota, but that's not an insignificant number of hikers passing thru. Seems a bit nonsensical if this is all about easing crowding in an area, but 1000-1500 hikers are exempted from consideration? What about section hikers? Do you have to be attempting the entire PCT to be exempt? And who would be policing that?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 3:23 pm 
When we did Oregon the rule was you were exempt if you entered the wilderness area from the PCT rather than a road end. The PCT hikers go through Oregon pretty fas as they are doing 20-30 mi per day by the time they get there.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 5:01 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
The article doesn't get into specifics. Doesn't mention how many permits might be held for walk ups each day. Doesn't talk about what number the quotas will be set at, either. The devil is in the details I guess.
Nope... the article was released by KGW - a Portland-based news outlet. There are no specific details mentioned on the USFS website either. Looks like this is in the initial stages of the scoping process now, and they're looking for feedback. I would imagine they're going to get inundated with hostile responses to this proposal from users who aren't accustomed to being told where they can or cannot go. I have no doubt they expect that. The devil indeed is in the details, probably none of which have been hammered out yet. Keep your ear to the ground for public open house meetings, workshops, and updates. Get added to their mailing list so you're in the loop and aren't finding out what's going on after the fact. If, as you're saying above, that those areas differ significantly from areas in Washington (in regard to net trail miles), it's doubtful that a "one size fits all" policy simply copied from, say, an Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area or a Seven Lakes Basin is going to work. Personally, I don't have time or the inclination to wait in line or see if my number comes up in some sort of "lottery". If they make it a hassle, I'll just go somewhere else. So far that strategy has been working, although at times it is a pain in the ass. Which means: I'll most likely never see any of those lakes in the Enchantments. I'm okay with that - I've seen lots of other stuff. Nobody can see it all - that's just not possible.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 7:58 am 
The proposed action plan is here
Quote:
Overnight Use: Overnight camping generally has more impacts than day use; campers seeking new sites create trails, cause new impacts to previously pristine areas, and concentrate human waste and garbage. The proposed strategy for the five wilderness areas is to establish a wilderness-wide overnight limited entry permit system. Depending on current use levels the number of permits available for each trailhead would either accommodate fewer visitors, the current number of visitors, or allow for some expansion in number of visitors. Day Use: In areas with large numbers of day users and where those users are causing increasing impacts, the proposed strategy is to establish a day use limited entry permit system. The areas that would initially have these limits include trailheads along Highway 46 and Highway 242 in the Three Sisters Wilderness and Highway 22 along the Mount Jefferson Wilderness
IMO they could begin limiting trail use by not building huge trailhead parking lots and enforcing parking. This is my complaint in MBSNF. If you can't park there are already too many people up there. Secondly, they need to educate the newcomers on LNT. I can't believe what I'm seeing on the trails these days. Garbage and feces everywhere.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 11:04 am 
I'm pretty sure that this program will be so expensive to implement that there will be no money left over for trail maintenance. They'll have to shut down most of the trails just to keep the program running. Before long, they'll be down to just one trail; and then the program will devolve into a sort of crowd control exercise, with baton wielding enforcers prodding and kicking the untrailworthy along a rutted, feces lined, garbage-strewn path. And people will pay large sums of ones and zeros for the privilege, applying years in advance, and waiting patiently for their turn on the trail. At trail's end, the hikers will be pushed over a huge cliff, scooped up by giant earth-moving equipment and deposited into an enormous vat for rendering down into a range of elastomeric resurfacing compounds. Not much we can do about it. Our leaders are already shutting down general access, reserving previously public land for their own private enjoyment. We're letting them do it. Apparently this is what we want. Interesting times!

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jul 04, 2017 6:02 pm 
Ski wrote:
There is always "somewhere else". It just may require driving a greater distance.
A MUCH greater distance. Central Oregon is a long, long drive from any other big mountains.

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 11:20 am 
yes please more people move to the PNW! There is no way anyone wouldn't want more people in the area unless they are just an ass####! Overpopulation isn't a real thing!

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 1:34 pm 
I was sort of willing to grit my teeth and not complain, until I saw the precedent of adding fees on top of fees. Now in addition to my state park pass, NF trails pass, Natl park pass, sno park pass, I will have to pay a per-use fee???? That sucks for folks on a limited fixed income, which I now find myself to be included in that bucket of people. It is true that the real alpine trail options are limited in Central Oregon. As much as I enjoy the lowland mtn biking opportunities (that are NOT great for hiking anyway), it would be nice to be able to get up into the mountains for the short season they are open. (a nice late afternoon hike, close-in to town, quickly got me to 6000 feet elevation and snow last week). Central Oregon is already severely limiting parking at trailheads. A "large" parking area might park 15 cars, many are just a slightly wide spot beside a road. Iron mountain is THE major wildflower hike for this area and its big parking was roughly 15 cars. Lake access is the same situation and they post a lot of "no parking" signs, enforced with a large fine, just outside the parking areas. Once you get on the trails, it really isn't that many people, because of the limited parking. Of course people are spoiled around here and figure seeing a few people during the day is "a crowd". The main exception would be the Green lakes trail, and the Sisters "climber"/trail runner route which is similar to Mt Si on a busy day. I have yet to hike there, being intimidated by the cars lining the main road, outside of the access road to get to the trailhead. I prefer to limit gas eating longer drives to hikes and try to be greener, but yes, if you are willing to drive a bit there are options. I certainly won't say what they are. wink.gif

friluftsliv
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 6:00 pm 
Not only the fees but the possibility of reservations or lotteries to get a permit for a day hike

teperilloux

teperilloux
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:40 pm 
I live in Portland. This is not a serious proposal, as the enforcement costs alone would be problematic. Any fees collected would most likely go to reserve America. Instead, I believe they are aiming for pie in the sky and will end up somewhere in the middle. Personally, I think only certain trailheads and overnight camping permits are a reasonable middle ground. Although, in my experience, they need to build more trails. We have slightly less population here and a LOT fewer trails than Washington, especially alpine, where everyone wants to go.