Forum Index > Food & Grub > preparing mountain house for ultralight backpacking and stopping gas from your ....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 pm 
There are a huge number of types of ramen available at a large Japanese supermarket here, many have no msg an come in many flavers and types including buckwheat and green.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:36 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Yet Japan also sports the longest average lifespan in the world.
I strongly suspect their longevity is due to their prosperity and the quality of their healthcare. Not because they eat a lot of ramen. I also suspect the quality of their ramen is higher than the industrial crap found in the US.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:57 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Yet Japan also sports the longest average lifespan in the world.
I strongly suspect their longevity is due to their prosperity and the quality of their healthcare. Not because they eat a lot of ramen. I also suspect the quality of their ramen is higher than the industrial crap found in the US.
More variety yes, the curry ramen is tasty, as to less or more "chemical" content , not so much, MSG is omnipresent. As to longevity, I suspect that it has more to do with other factors. And while ramen is commonly eaten, people also eat a lot of vegetables and eat flesh far more sparingly than in the USA. Visited "Mos Burger" and their largest burger was maybe an 1/8 pounder and an order of fries was about 8 fries.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 2:48 pm 
Longevity is one of the important criteria the World Health Organization uses to asses a nation's quality of healthcare.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm 
As for ramen noodles and health concerns, it should be noted there are a few studies which have documented the health issues with eating the instant noodles. Instant ramen noodles were invented in 1958 but did not start to become popular until the 1970s. The popularity started in Asia and slowly moved around the world. So many of the longevity studies have not seen the full effect of frequent use of ramen in the diet. One study in South Korea did indicate negative health effects, especially among women. It is doubtful that occasional use of ramen will have much of an impact on overall health of backpackers. But that is not the issue really. The real issue with instant ramen noodles is that they are simply a calorie bomb, almost completely devoid of useful nutrients. If you are going to make the effort to boost a freeze dried meal, why not boost it with something that offers real nutrition rather than empty calories? Calories are important but so are the needed nutrients. And it is sooooooooo easy to find things other than instant ramen noodles to give a calorie boost which also have some good nutritional value as well. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
pula58

pula58
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
And it is sooooooooo easy to find things other than instant ramen noodles to give a calorie boost which also have some good nutritional value as well.
I am super curious to hear about specific suggestions/alternatives to Ramen for more than just empty calories. If there is any info you could share it'd be much appreciated! Thanks! P.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 pm 
First page of this thread has some ideas. I thought of another one: quick-cooking Farro, available at Trader Joe's. While regular Farro takes 45-50 mins to cook, the quick-cook version takes about 12 mins. So while it would take longer than couscous for sure, I wonder if you could just rehydrate it in about 20-30 minutes with boiling water added. Could experiment at at home first. Keep in mind, anything labeled "instant" will have less nutrition than the regular thing. Anything "instant" and "white", even less so. For example, while brown rice is very nutritious, white rice is less so, and instant white rice is nothing more than a non-nutritious filler. I concede there may be some healthier versions of ramen noodles out there than the cheap instant crap I was thinking of. The advantage of preparing one's own food is that you control exactly what goes into it, may taste better to you, be cheaper and won't give you gas. Some of the ingredients may be more nutritious than MH, because they have been chosen and prepared by you. This is all good. But some of the recipes I see posted here are actually no more nutritious than MH.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:21 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Thats a lot of effort to make MH edible! It seem like it be simpler to just package your own meals at home at that point. You could then make the portions any size.
My daughter made all her own meals with variety and bulk and we vacuum sealed every bag and boxed them for her PCT trip. She is a biochemist so she engineered her own recipes so they have everything she needs and nothing she doesn't. They are light and pack well. I imagine that is an option for anyone.

Living in the Anthropocene