Forum Index > Photography Talk > Sony RX100 - additional zoom?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 9:41 am 
Just snagged an RX100 II off eBay as an upgrade from my phone camera. This will be my first camera which prioritizes picture quality, so I'm pretty excited to be able to take some better photos on an upcoming trip! The one significant tradeoff is the short focal length at maximum zoom - 100mm equivalent. I'm afraid I'll miss shots of more distant subjects. Has anyone found a way to increase the zoom range with better results than simply cropping and sharpening in Photoshop?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 9:46 am 
enable the clear image zoom. It's digital but I have read reviews saying it's better than a later crop. Also you can crop in post quite a bit with the rx100 line and still have a FB postable image. --pat

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:01 am 
Hmm, I wasn't aware of that feature. Your photo albums were what convinced me to get this camera, btw! Especially the night shots which I had always assumed required a full size DSLR. Hoping the M2 is almost as good as the M3 that you have...

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:05 am 
up.gif Good info. my A6000 body died so I am waiting for a replacement A6300 / A6500 down the road so I got a Mark lll for now.

Living in the Anthropocene
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 10:12 am 
The M2 and M3 are pretty close to the same specs wise. minor differences. Biggest difference was the view finder on the M3. I've moved onto the rx100 M5. Love that camera, big changes. faster focus.. faster frames per second etc... I also have a Sony A7ii, which i primarily use now. So not all my shots are from an rx100. great forum over on dpreview for the rx100 line. lots of good info there. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1009 Check out this thread for info on initial setup the rx100 line. Elliott is a great resource for solid info on those cameras. https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59768953 Happy shooting!

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am 
Thanks Patrick. I am down the rabbit hole already... Do you happen to have any recommendations for: 1) carrying case for filters (I've ordered the Lensmate 52mm adaptor, a UV filter, and a CPL) 2) spare batteries with good capacity

DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 2:47 pm 
only filter I really need is a cpl ( my camera has built in ND filter), i just have a little felt pouch to put mine in. I also use the app smooth reflections to get around haveing a really dark ND. Get a screen protector: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UOIAEU I have these for extra batteries. work ok so far https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFQOBI6 This is a great case. good weather sealing and compact. barrily fits the rx100. i clip it to my shoulder strap and then use the Velcro around the strap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PCP5II

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 pm 
In the non-replaceable lens portable cameras you can either: 1- have a larger sensor and 55 to 100 mm reach 2- have a compact 1/2.3 sensor and a large reach of 700+ mm A large Telephoto on a 1" sensor would need a substantially larger diameter lens, might as well carry a DLSR at that point. A lot depends if your hiking to take photos, or simply taking some photos while hiking. I carry a Nikon DLSR when day hiking. On overnights bellow the tree lines I'll take an LX100. This or your RX100 is ideal for landscapes or some macro work. These have substantially more working aperture range to get your depth of focus right, and lower light shots. Above the tree-lines I take my older super zoom (ZS50). It fine for landscapes and macro, but has the range for a mountain goat or distant feature as well. Take the time to learn what your RX100 can do, it's a very capable camera.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
shoulderseason

shoulderseason
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 am 
Regarding carrying RX100, I've found the Osprey Digistow Medium to be pretty good. I often spend more time watching the scenery and not enough time watching where I'm going, so it's saved my RX100 from a number of bumps. It easily fits the camera. I bought a Lensmate adapter and CPL this spring after getting tired of washed out skies and weird patterns in alpine lakes, despite my reluctance to add to the camera's bulk. With the CPL, the filter cap, and the adapter attached, it just barely still fits (though I have to be careful to zip it back up, or it'll eventually open). I also completely second the rec to get a screen protector. My screen has held up fine, but the anti-glare coating wore off and now I get some annoying glare -- a screen protector would have prevented that.

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostMon Sep 11, 2017 1:00 pm 
Thanks - some good advice! I ended up returning the Sony RX100 and buying a Panasonic FZ300 instead. The Panasonic has a 1/2.3" sensor (not as good as the sony) but much more zoom range. While it did let me capture some photos I couldn't have taken otherwise, I think overall the Sony would've been more practical. Here's a few photos from the Panasonic. Nice camera, but a lot to carry. First two of the sunset are composites of multiple exposures assembled in Lightroom. These two shots are where I bet the Sony could've produced the same result from a single exposure.
P1150066-HDR-Pano
P1150066-HDR-Pano
P1150117-HDR-Pano
P1150117-HDR-Pano
Marmot in White Chuck Glacier Basin. They're a little more skittish here than down by White Pass.
Marmot in White Chuck Glacier Basin. They're a little more skittish here than down by White Pass.
This little guy patiently waited while we finished lunch. Somewhere on the switchbacks down to the NF Sauk.
This little guy patiently waited while we finished lunch. Somewhere on the switchbacks down to the NF Sauk.
This goat let me get surprisingly close. Probably realized there was no way I could actually reach it!
This goat let me get surprisingly close. Probably realized there was no way I could actually reach it!