Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What happened to Amelia Earhart - evidential trail Marshall Islands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am 
Sorry gb, you can bring race into this all that you want, but the raw data is colorblind. The trained crew and their radio logs of the coast guard cutter trump all other claimed observations, regardless of the race of any observer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 1:48 pm 
Apparently, the photo was published 2 years before the flight. http://yamanekobunko.blog52.fc2.com/blog-entry-338.html

don't believe everything you think
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 1:49 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
A significant leap of faith is required to conclude that Earhart and Noonan are in the photo.
A Japanese blogger says " "the photograph was first published in Palau under Japanese rule in 1935, in a photo book ... So the photograph was taken at least two years before Amelia Earhart disappear[ed] in 1937 and a person on the photo was not her." A NPR story published 07/11/17 includes a picture of the book containing the photo. http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/07/11/536620463/japanese-blogger-points-out-timeline-flaw-in-supposed-earhart-photo The blogger also identifies the ship in the photograph as the Koshu, which the Japanese seized in World War I, rather than the Koshu Maru, which was launched in 1937. http://yamanekobunko.blog52.fc2.com/blog-entry-338.html

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 2:30 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:40 pm 
Well, that is a game changer as evidence anyway. That answers my earlier question as to whether Earhart was in the South Pacific at an earlier time. Digital archive of the book But it still leaves the issue of witnesses with unchanged stories and the Marshall Island Stamps. As to strong radio signals - how strong is strong? The only Coast Guard witnesses "heard" radio calls, but saw nothing.

gb

gb
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 3:54 pm 
The history of Amelia Earhart's life casts doubt on the authenticity of the photo in the Japanese book. I can't find anything to indicate she flew in the South Pacific (except Hawaii to California in 1935). She was also very busy in 1935, moving into a new house. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Earhart Can anybody find a log of all of Amelia Earhart's flight (of consequence) that would suggest an earlier trip to the Marshall Islands (prior to or up to 1935)?

gb

gb
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:00 pm 
How did she get to Hawaii in 1935? Hawaii to California early 1935 She rode a ship.....

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:20 pm 
peer gynt
peer gynt
gangnam style!
gangnam style!
flying dutchman
flying dutchman
platypus
platypus
yoda
yoda

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
gb

gb
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 pm 
You have a nice stamp collection. Any of them have value?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:54 pm 
It is a mystery just like UFO's if we know what they are they become IFO's and no longer a mystery. Mysteries are fun, facts not so much.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:15 pm 
Lol yoda stamp. I find your lack of conspiracy theories disturbing!
Quote:
how strong is strong?
That is a good question. In this case, they noted "loud and clear like she was next door.". Which using primitive HF radios means she was likely in or near line of site. Given the altitude of the radio mast on the cutter and the aircraft... likely within the ballpark of 40 to 60 miles. I cant give an exact number using such imprecise comments, but its about that. Combined with the fact that the cutter understood most words of repeated transmissions the aircraft was certainly not 800 nautical miles away in the marshall islands.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:27 pm 
gb wrote:
Can anybody find a log of all of Amelia Earhart's flight (of consequence) that would suggest an earlier trip to the Marshall Islands (prior to or up to 1935)?
A better question would be, "Can we place Fred Noonan in the Marshall Islands (prior to or up to 1935)? The History Channel claim that the seated person in the photo, with his/her back to the camera, must be Earhart is based on identifying the standing white male to the left as Fred Noonan. In 1935 Noonan was working for Pan American, navigating "China Clipper" fights between San Francisco and Hong Kong. These flights did not go near the Marshall Islands.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 8:36 pm 
I'm trying really hard to get through this film. Somebody posted it on YouTube. Between the repetitious script and "Flo" peddling insurance, I may have to stop for puke breaks. gb, I don't collect stamps. The photo images were only to demonstrate, as DIYSteve did, that what is printed on postage stamps may or may not have anything to do with reality. So far the "photo" has been debunked. The Guardian story has been backed up by a National Geographic story, and I just don't believe the National Geographic would do something so stupid as to publish an article that would jeopardize their credibility. Just my lousy opinion, of course. Then we come to the supposed "metal fragments" of aircraft found on some remote atoll out in the Pacific Ocean. That same atoll that's named on your postage stamp above. I found this little snip interesting: Mili Atoll (Wikipedia entry): Mili remains littered with thousands of World War II relics. The law forbids these items from being removed from the island. Mostly what remains are large bunker systems, rail systems, old artillery pieces and remnants of aircraft. Examples include Japanese Zeroes and a B-25 Mitchell bomber sitting in just several feet of water. Normally I wouldn't cite Wikipedia as a source, but in this case I'm going to make an exception for the sake of expediency.

gb

gb
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:08 pm 
Ski wrote:
So far the "photo" has been debunked. The Guardian story has been backed up by a National Geographic story, and I just don't believe the National Geographic would do something so stupid as to publish an article that would jeopardize their credibility. Just my lousy opinion, of course.
Of that I'm not sure given time to think. For the photo to have been published in 1935 would have to indicate that Earhart was in the Marshall Islands as of 1935 date of publishing. If that can be proved, the photo as evidence is debunked - not as to content but as to date. Earhart's history or flight history that indicates she was in the Marshall Islands prior to 1935 would certainly reject that the image was a 1937 image. Her history of flying and life from Wikipedia (there are footnoted sources) cast doubt in my mind that she had previously flown to the Marshall Islands. Anyone? The radio signals may have been "strong", but were the final radio transmissions? The History Channel story (for what it's worth) said that when Earhart had only 400 miles of fuel left her intention was to turn back West to some island chain. Anything to that quote? Iff she was not previously (it would appear with Noonan) in the Marshall's then the other stuff falls by the wayside. I would agree that Noonan could have been another person given the photo quality, but Earhart in the photo looked pretty unmistakeable in that day and age in the Marshall's which were under Japanese control.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 10:36 pm 
There is nothing that definitively confirms that photograph is Earhart (or Noonan.) Nothing. All conjecture and speculation. After finally making it all the way through that film: Most of what you've got there is a whole lot of circumstantial and anecdotal, and not a heck of a lot of definitive evidence. I will concede that the statements from the islanders seem credible, but they're still anecdotal, no matter how you slice or dice it. (See Steve's comment above about "eyewitness testimony".) (See also statements from people who were at Dealey Plaza on November 22, 1963; were there three shots? or four? or two? or one? or five? or nine?) The written statement by US Marine Corps General Alexander Vandergrift isn't corroborated or substantiated anywhere else. Was he there on Saipan when the incident supposedly occurred? No. There is no way he was there prior to June 15, 1944. Again: anecdotal. Just like Geraldo Rivera and Al Capone's safe, two hours later we finally get down to what is supposed to be "pay dirt", and it's just dirt. No possibility of DNA evidence. Nothing conclusive. So while I am confident that a lot of people are now convinced that our government was involved in some nefarious cover-up scheme (which should come as no surprise to anyone), the film offers nothing in the way of incontrovertible evidence. Another Al Capone's safe, like I said at the beginning of this thread.