Forum Index > Trip Reports > Devils Dome, Bear Skull, Little Jack (July 8-10)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 2:00 pm 
The plan was to do the Devils Dome loop counter clockwise from the East Bank trailhead, hitting a few minor peaks along the way. I made it up Bear Skull and Little Jack but will have to save Angel Wing for another trip.
The route. Red = day 1, blue = day 2, yellow = day 3
The route. Red = day 1, blue = day 2, yellow = day 3
Day 1: Devils Dome 20 mi, +8959' -3859' (probably exaggerated) Took off from the East Bank trailhead around 10am. The big tree down at the start of the Jackita Ridge trail is indeed a pain but can be scrambled around. There was some other blowdown on this trail as well. Overall worse conditions than when I took kids there a couple years ago. Bugs weren't a problem until swampy McMillan park and even then not too bad as long as you kept moving. Near the Devils Park Shelter, trail runner John emerged from the trees and said he started the loop from the Canyon Creek trailhead around noon. I caught up to him again near the descent below Jackita, the first time any real snow is encountered. I scrambled around it; he went straight through. I kept up with him for the next couple hours but he sped away on the ascent up to Devils Dome around 7pm. Hope he found his way OK in the dark! The flower display on the dome was quite lovely and I was glad to see the summit camp site unoccupied. I set up shop there and was kept up for quite some time by the wind.
1. The only creek crossing requiring special care. Early on the Jackita Ridge trail
1. The only creek crossing requiring special care. Early on the Jackita Ridge trail
2. Blowdown
2. Blowdown
3. Devils Park Shelter and deer
3. Devils Park Shelter and deer
4. Crater and Jack from near Devils Park
4. Crater and Jack from near Devils Park
5. Jackita Ridge
5. Jackita Ridge
8. Jack
8. Jack
9. Backlit spiderweb
9. Backlit spiderweb
10. Lupine in evening light
10. Lupine in evening light
11. Jack from Devils Dome
11. Jack from Devils Dome
13. Full moon rise
13. Full moon rise
12. Sunset
12. Sunset
14. Hozomeen and sunset
14. Hozomeen and sunset
Day 2: Bear Skull and part way up Angel Wing 8.75 mi, +3330' -6178' Bear Skull is another fine viewpoint and anyone in the area should take a few minutes for the detour. There appears to be a trail that goes up to its W ridge but I took a more direct approach. The descent down the Devil's Ridge trail was fast, thanks to a WTA crew I encountered on the way. Great timing! After reaching Ross Lake the crazy plan was to follow the ridge south of Devils Creek to Point 6486 aka Angel Wing. I made it up steep blowdown-rich forest and mossy boulders to 4000' but was running low on water and energy and decided to call it a day around 3pm. Enjoyed just hanging around snoozing until the mosquitoes came out in the evening.
17. Some mare's tail clouds
17. Some mare's tail clouds
18. Baker
18. Baker
19. Bear Skull
19. Bear Skull
20. Bear Skull SE ridge
20. Bear Skull SE ridge
21. Jack from Bear Skull
21. Jack from Bear Skull
22. Weird conglomerate rock
22. Weird conglomerate rock
23. Devils Creek gorge
23. Devils Creek gorge
24. Suspension bridge over Devils Creek
24. Suspension bridge over Devils Creek
25. Hozomeen giving Desolation some little cat ears
25. Hozomeen giving Desolation some little cat ears
Day 3: Little Jack 6745' 18 mi, +6639' -8896' It's funny how much harder it is to stay on track going down a ridge rather than up. I went down too far on the Devils Creek side and had to traverse a bit through awful blowdown to get back on track. Once back down to Ross Lake I had a nice stroll along the East Bank trail and passed a couple huge groups of kids. I foolishly neglected again to think of water before reaching the Little Jack trail, not realizing the few miles before it would be dry. I decided to go up anyway, hoping to reach some or at least find snow. Finally at 5300' there was a little trickle that saved the day. The trail indeed ends at 6000' and it's an easy cross-country walk to the summit. Unfortunately the summit was in the clouds (it even sprinkled a tiny bit on the way down) so I didn't get any views. Will have to return some day. Trail has seen recent maintenance and is in great shape.
26. Lizard
26. Lizard
27. Caterpillars
27. Caterpillars
28. Columbine
28. Columbine
29. Little Jack summit
29. Little Jack summit
30. I'm sure the view would have been grand
30. I'm sure the view would have been grand
31. A very brief hole in the clouds
31. A very brief hole in the clouds
32. Tarn near Little Jack's summit
32. Tarn near Little Jack's summit
33. Descending
33. Descending
34. Meadows on Little Jack
34. Meadows on Little Jack
35. View into the Skagit valley
35. View into the Skagit valley
36. Ruby/Panther confluence
36. Ruby/Panther confluence
Exhausting but rewarding trip, and perfect timing with water still running but most snow gone, not to mention recent trail maintenance. Note camping permit requirements within the Ross Lake National Recreation Area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 4:02 pm 
Incredible effort, holy cow. And nice photos and report. I love that area. Thanks so much for posting.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:01 pm 
Dang, that's a whole lotta walking. Ed and I took 4 days to do what you did in two. Water can be sparse in that area, there's nothing past Devils Dome until reaching the trickle at Devils Pass. Better on the Jackita portion of the trail.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm 
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Distel32

Distel32
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 8:20 am 
up.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:24 pm 
We walked the Devil's Ridge Trail 7/19-20/2018 from Holman Pass on the PCT to Sky Pilot Pass. Tread in mostly good shape, about half a dozen awkward blowdowns which we swamped-out and made detours. No saw this time. USFS or somebody is maintaining that trail -- logouts within the past year or three. These blowdowns looked quite recent. One might expect more of the same west of there. All marked streams up to Sky Pilot Pass were running well. Still enough snow for water on the ridge route from Sky Pilot south to Center Mt. and Chancellor.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.