Forum Index > Trip Reports > Black Peak - South Ridge 7/8/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 8:56 pm 
I've had Black Peak on my list for several years, but the North Cascades are a long drive for me so I never really made a serious effort until now. A 4 to 4 1/2 hour drive one way is a bit much for a day trip, so I made the drive in the night before and slept in my Outback. I woke up around 4:30 and by 5:10 I was on the trail. As I was getting ready I noticed the ground starting to look a little orange. There was a crazy sunrise going on, it would have been pretty incredible to be up in the high country for it. The trail up to Heather Pass was quiet, peaceful, and quite scenic. Lake Ann looked lovely down below.
Trailhead sunrise
Trailhead sunrise
Meadows
Meadows
Cutthroat and Whistler
Cutthroat and Whistler
Trail to Heather Pass
Trail to Heather Pass
Lake Ann
Lake Ann
I made quick time up to the pass where I encountered snow and spectacular golden hour light!
First view of Black Peak
First view of Black Peak
Black Peak w/ morning light
Black Peak w/ morning light
Morning Light over Porcupine
Morning Light over Porcupine
Hardy and Golden Horn
Hardy and Golden Horn
Stuff like this gets me so stoked, makes all the driving and getting up early SO worth it! The spectacular light and colors only lasted maybe 20 minutes before clouds moved it, creating some interesting light on Black Peak. Travel from here on was mostly snow with patches of ground and talus. I made my way down to Lewis Lake which was mostly melted out. It had an interesting green hue to it, and I caught some decent reflections in the still waters.
Black Peak in shadows
Black Peak in shadows
nearing Lewis Lake
nearing Lewis Lake
Lewis Lake
Lewis Lake
Lewis Lake
Lewis Lake
Black Peak reflection
Black Peak reflection
Melting lake
Melting lake
The trip just kept getting better from here. I slowed my pace and enjoyed the scenery. No need to rush through this one I thought.
Sun rays over Lewis Lake
Sun rays over Lewis Lake
Corteo Peak
Corteo Peak
Larches
Larches
Sun cups
Sun cups
I kept following this fella
I kept following this fella
I made my way up towards Wing Lake enjoying the views of Corteo Peak and the many larches that call this place home.
Corteo Peak pano
Corteo Peak pano
I arrived at Wing Lake to find it mostly frozen over. The edges had begun to melt, but had frozen during the night and the frozen melt water had the most spectacular bright blue color. I really enjoyed it.
Wing Lake
Wing Lake
Black Peak over Wing Lake
Black Peak over Wing Lake
Frozen melt water
Frozen melt water
Lovely blue water
Lovely blue water
Wing Lake and Corteo Peak
Wing Lake and Corteo Peak
After some lengthy chillin' and taking photos I made my way up to the south saddle of Black Peak. I followed snow until the angle got a bit steep and I decided to head climber's right and take the scree up. It was horrible rotten scree and I probably should have just stayed on the snow. I sought out the more embedded rock for foot placement and eventually reached the saddle where more spectacular views were waiting for me! I had heard from friends that the scramble section was overrated and was mostly class 2 so I wasn't expecting much, but wouldn't you know it the scrambling was actually pretty good! Now, if you just follow the cairns and follow the gully up then yeah, it's mostly class 2 until the summit block. If you're looking for some fun class 3-4 though, it's there! I had a great time scrambling up and stayed mostly to the right side of the gully and close to the ridge. The hardest moves were at the summit block, the final 20 feet. Soon I was at the summit!
South ridge 1
South ridge 1
South ridge 2
South ridge 2
False summit, traverse starts here
False summit, traverse starts here
Final summit block
Final summit block
Me looking a little shady on Black Peak.  Like, literally in the shade.  I'm actually a very trustworthy person.
Me looking a little shady on Black Peak. Like, literally in the shade. I'm actually a very trustworthy person.
The views... yeah they were good.
Goode
Goode
Glacier and Dome
Glacier and Dome
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Dome Peak
Dome Peak
Ragged Ridge
Ragged Ridge
Hardy and Golden Horn
Hardy and Golden Horn
Tower and the Needles
Tower and the Needles
Ballard and Azurite
Ballard and Azurite
I had some thai soft rolls for lunch and spent 40 minutes on top before heading back down. As I was making my way back down the gully I took note of some rock spires, of course the great views, and group of four climbers making their way up past Wing Lake. We passed at the steep snow section just below the saddle, which I kicked stepped facing in before doing a long sustained standing glissade which was pretty fun.
Views down the ridge / gully
Views down the ridge / gully
Gendarmes
Gendarmes
Climbers passing Wing Lake
Climbers passing Wing Lake
Climbers
Climbers
Glissade track
Glissade track
The rest of the trip was kinda like the way up, but in reverse. I passed another group of four climbers near Heather Pass, and then a bunch of day hikers as I made my way back to the car.
Lewis Lake
Lewis Lake
Last look back at Black
Last look back at Black
Frickin awesome day in the mountains! Most mountains go in the do not repeat category after a trip, but this one goes on the would do again list. I could see myself taking my kids up for a night at Wing Lake when they get older. It's no wonder this one is a North Cascades classic. I loved every step! ~12.2 miles, 5k gain, 9 hours car to car

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 9:04 pm 
Really nice shots. This one's still on my list, but yeah long drive for a day hike.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 am 
Thanks alot! Now I can't decide on now or during the larching I've been as far as Lewis Lake. Is the talus traverse still completely snow covered from the pass to Lewis Lake? How about overhanging cornice concern in that same section of travel? Great report and excellent images Thanks for sharing

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 7:47 am 
up.gif Those picture effects are awesome.

Living in the Anthropocene
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 9:01 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
I've been as far as Lewis Lake. Is the talus traverse still completely snow covered from the pass to Lewis Lake? How about overhanging cornice concern in that same section of travel?
I did Black Peak on 7/3. That section was pretty much entirely snow covered except for a few spots, but the snow was thin. Going up was fine but when things warmed up on the way out I was postholing regularly.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 am 
007 wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
I've been as far as Lewis Lake. Is the talus traverse still completely snow covered from the pass to Lewis Lake? How about overhanging cornice concern in that same section of travel?
I did Black Peak on 7/3. That section was pretty much entirely snow covered except for a few spots, but the snow was thin. Going out was fine but when things warmed up on the way out I was postholing regularly.
Thank you up.gif Not a place you want to posthole Appreciate the info

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want