Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > TEDx talk on Mega-fires by Paul Hessburg
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 6:46 pm 
Living (Dangerously) in an Era of Megafires Just out, this 15 minute TED talk by Dr. Paul Hessburg, Landscape Ecologist with the FS Forestry Science lab. It is a shorter version of the 90 minute movie which I think has been discussed here previously. An excellent presentation.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 2:05 am 
The new one to me on the one was the observation that the RR's imposed fire breaks on the western landscape. Relatives talked about trains being a constant source of fire ignition when steam was created with coal. I gathered, that at least in the NW, that the main lines converted to oil fueled steam engines about the time of the first War.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 9:36 am 
From the opening statements: "In the U.S., an area that's larger than the State of Oregon has burned in just the last ten years." The size of Oregon, the 9th largest state, is 98,381 square miles. (400 miles wide x 360 miles long) The current pattern, if management practices are not radically changed soon, will most likely only get worse: larger fires, more destructive fires, and a greater frequency of fires.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 13, 2017 1:48 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
The new one to me on the one was the observation that the RR's imposed fire breaks on the western landscape. Relatives talked about trains being a constant source of fire ignition when steam was created with coal. I gathered, that at least in the NW, that the main lines converted to oil fueled steam engines about the time of the first War.
Now it is their brakes that can cause fires.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities