Forum Index > Partners > Enchantments point to point
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dustinpn

dustinpn
PostMon Jun 19, 2017 11:28 pm 
So I wanted to do this hike sometime soon and I was wondering if anyone wanted to coordinate with cars. WTA suggests you have two people drive to one, drop one person with the others car, and then the other person drives to the other trailhead, so you can both do point to point and drive out with your own cars. So, not really looking for a partner, just looking for someone to coordinate this hike with so neither of us has to hike the 18 miles in and out. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/enchantment-lakes

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 7:26 am 
You can drive two cars to the Snow Lake trailhead and the drive together in one car to the Colochuck Lake trailhead. Another option is to use a bike with wider tires to ride between the two trailheads. Hitchhiking or walking the road are other options that are less effort than doing the whole route twice.

TwoTent
TwoTent

TwoTent
TwoTent
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:27 am 
Hi, when are you planning on doing the hike? I was waiting for the snow to melt out a bit but i usually do this one half dozen times a summer...great training hike! Hit me up any time ya want to coordinate cars! Les

looking for hiking partners, new trails, photo ops
christensent

christensent
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 7:54 pm 
I did this once hitch-hiking from the snow lakes lot up to Colchuck (that's the way to do it unless you want extra elevation gain). Got picked up within 5 minutes. Maybe got lucky, but I'd guess it's pretty easy to get a ride. Get that part over with in the morning (versus parking at the upper lot and trying to get a ride up in the evening - everyone is leaving at that point!)

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Jun 20, 2017 8:30 pm 
Just hire the Leavenworth shuttle, did that last year got picked up at Snow lakes trailhead at 6 AM. http://www.leavenworthshuttle.com/Trailheads.html

I desire medium danger williswall.com
dustinpn

dustinpn
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 9:08 am 
That looks perfect but their description is leaving me a little confused. I was under the impression that from Snow lake trailhead to the stewart lake trail head was 9 miles. And the In and Out was 18 miles. This description on the transportation page makes it seem like it is 18miles 1 way. Which one is it?

dustinpn

dustinpn
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 9:11 am 
Seems like it is 18miles from Snow lake TH to stewart lake TH. Oh well, guess it will be a really long day hike

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 9:12 am 
Google says it is 8 miles from Snow Lakes TH to Stuart/Colochuck TH -- by road https://goo.gl/maps/NLBgahd9Cwx By trail up and over Aasgard Pass -- it's longer.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 am 
Hiking Stuart Lake TH to Snow Lake TH via trail thru the 'Chants is nominally 18 miles, but closer to 19 miles per my bud's GPS tracking. We usually do a car shuttle. I once hitchhiked from Snow Lake TH to Stuart Lake TH after a thru-hike/jog, got picked up in est. 15 minutes. I've also picked up a hitchhiker. Some (faster than me) ultrarunners jog back to their car after completing the thru-hike/jog for the marathon+ distance.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 8:58 pm 
As long as we're talking about hitchhiking, I just don't know if I could hitchhike myself, or pick up a hitchhiker, in the times we live in today. 50 years ago, maybe, but today? I get that most of the people I meet outdoors are friendly and good people, and actually appreciate that very much. Practically speaking, to those who hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers, how do you keep safety concerns, etc. in mind when you do do that? Sure would be a lot easier than biking from Snow Lakes to Colchuck, if it were safer. What do you think?

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 8:59 pm 
williswall wrote:
Just hire the Leavenworth shuttle, did that last year got picked up at Snow lakes trailhead at 6 AM. http://www.leavenworthshuttle.com/Trailheads.html
Good to know!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 10:50 pm 
I've given a number of rides to scruffy looking dudes with backpacks to/from Stevens Pass and Skykomish. Where PCT through hikers pickup their packages at the post offices. I certainly would consider giving a ride to hikers from Snow Lakes TH. But then, I look a lot like the kind of guy your mother warned you about.

christensent

christensent
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 9:53 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
As long as we're talking about hitchhiking, I just don't know if I could hitchhike myself, or pick up a hitchhiker, in the times we live in today. 50 years ago, maybe, but today? I get that most of the people I meet outdoors are friendly and good people, and actually appreciate that very much. Practically speaking, to those who hitchhike or pick up hitchhikers, how do you keep safety concerns, etc. in mind when you do do that? Sure would be a lot easier than biking from Snow Lakes to Colchuck, if it were safer. What do you think?
I think we have to take some risks in life. I would guess that the through hike is vastly more dangerous than the hitch-hike. You could use the same argument for not walking down the street, because today you're a whole lot more likely to be randomly shot than you were 50 years ago, but we still walk down the street because it improves life.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 02, 2017 11:14 pm 
I have hitched from Snow Lakes TH to Colechuck a couple times without problem. It works if there are lots of hikes in the area. In CA had success last year and always hikers picked us up. We offered gas money but it was refused, one of our rides is coming up here this month and we will drive them to the PCT. Do not think we are much of a target people probably think we look more dangerous.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 pm 
christensent wrote:
I would guess that the through hike is vastly more dangerous than the hitch-hike.
Less likely to be anally raped in the upper enchantments though that is for sure!