Forum Index > Gear Talk > UL gear list
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Deltablue

Deltablue
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm 
I'm a noob to UL, so wondering if anyone has suggestions or if my gear looks fairly dialed down. I'm looking to do the Wonderland next year. eVent dry sack 1 oz qcore slx petite sleep pad 1 lb 4 oz revelation quilt 15 oz backpack light 70 L from mytrailco 2 lb 3.5 oz Smd lunar solo le 30 oz Toaks 1100 mL 4.8 oz BSR 3000T 1 oz Sawyer mini 2 oz Smart water bottle and platypus 2 L 6.5 oz Msr folding spork .5 oz Thinking an ursack almitey for the food bag. Overkill, but I'm also looking at the PNWT at some point. I'm pretty thick skinned, so if there's something on the list you feel the need to cajole about, go ahead. Thanks ahead of time!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 12:46 pm 
Interesting did not know that Ursack has created a bag resistant to bears and rodents. 12 plus ounces. The camps are predetermined on the Wonderland and bear poles should be up. The main problem is mice. Don't even leave your food unattended even momentarily. Got up from dinner one night to talk to the ranger and moved 8 feet away and had 3 mice descend on my food. Ironic that he was there to talk about the mice problem. As I was tarping it was common to have visitors in the night. They really like toilet paper. Protect your nose blowing tissue. On one occasion had the mice get up the bear pole and raid someones nylon food bag. The problem sites probably vary from year to year depending on the carelessness of the previous hikers. I took the 4+ ounce Ursack minor and glad I did.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 1:33 pm 
Adohrn wrote:
Ursack has created a bag resistant to bears and rodents.
I have an older Ursack -- I've never had a bear go after it -- however plenty of mice have tried. They have frayed some edges, but haven't succeeded in making any holes. If you aren't concerned with bears, the Ratsack is lighter and cheaper and more resistant to the small sharp rodent teeth.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 4:44 pm 
Deltablue wrote:
I'm a noob to UL, so wondering if anyone has suggestions or if my gear looks fairly dialed down. I'm looking to do the Wonderland next year. eVent dry sack 1 oz qcore slx petite sleep pad 1 lb 4 oz revelation quilt 15 oz backpack light 70 L from mytrailco 2 lb 3.5 oz Smd lunar solo le 30 oz Toaks 1100 mL 4.8 oz BSR 3000T 1 oz Sawyer mini 2 oz Smart water bottle and platypus 2 L 6.5 oz Msr folding spork .5 oz Thinking an ursack almitey for the food bag. Overkill, but I'm also looking at the PNWT at some point. I'm pretty thick skinned, so if there's something on the list you feel the need to cajole about, go ahead. Thanks ahead of time!
Need to add: Fuel Canister Tent stakes, First aid kit, Compass, Knife, Led Light, Carried clothing, Gloves, Rain gear, Repair kit, Cooking cleanup Lighter (bic) Not very familiar with the BSR stove. Pocket Rocket and Snow Peak are about the same weight. Just start taking it out for one or two nights backpacking trips, and see what works for you, and what doesn't. I'd want a smaller option for coffee or oat meal than 1.1 liter pot for example. I never leave without my Sierra Cup. The 15 ounce quilt would be pretty limited to warm weather only. I'd want something warmer personally.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 pm 
Hand Sanitizer. Gloves should be leather or otherwise "heat resistant" for handling cooking pot -- or bring "pot tongs" or a multi-tool with pliers. If you practice "freezer bag" type cooking so that only water goes in the pot -- then you don't need any "cooking clean up" stuff. You'll also need something to dig "cat holes" -- the spike of a trekking pole can do the job. The "Duece of spades" seems a bit over the top -- but it also works as a tent stake and is quite efficient at digging. An ultralight umbrella is my prefered "rain gear" for summer/fall hikes in the PNW -- I also bring a highly breathable "wind breaker" and "wind pants" treated with Atsko Silicone Water-Guard to shed wind and light rain. The umbrella does double duty on warm sunny days -- providing shade while walking -- makes a big difference in comfort and how much I sweat. Personally I prefer a Lexan spork over titannium -- stays cool, doesn't burn lips. I also like using a 16oz Nalagene bottle for drinking my morning coffee. I use a similar weight quilt -- I pair it with a "Balaclava" type hat in the summer and with a hooded down jacket in the fall.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:51 pm 
I keep the hand sanitizer inside my roll of TP in a ziplock. I was thinking more towards warm and rainshell gloves. (I use the OR Versa-liners 2.8 Oz). As a Jetboil user, I've never give any thought to handling hot cook pots. Everyone can sleep differently hot or cold. I would have to start throwing on mid layers if i was running a 1 lb down bag/quilt at 4000 ft.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:44 pm 
Depending on deltablues size and the quality of down selected, the revelation at 15oz is a 20-30 degree quilt. No problems there especially with the good mat. The stove is a cheap China knock off at 6-12 dollars. I would upgrade. A broken stove is really demoralizing. As suggested earlier snowpeak and Msr both make quality products. As far as the rest of your list, it is looking good so far. Not necessary the absolute lightest gear, but more than reasonably light and good quality. Useful suggestions so far on other gear needed. Other suggestions The Nat Geo trails illustrated map If using a smart phone Guthooks app https://www.google.com/amp/s/appadvice.com/app/wonderland-trail-by-tami-asars/1101854290.amp Have not used the wonderland version, but have been impressed by his Pct app. Trail runners instead of boots Leukotape which is better than moleskin Freezer bag cooking for sure. Sara Kirkconnell writes some good cook books. Camera and good dry bag for electronics Randyhiker the previous white model Ursack from what I understand were relatively resistant to rodents. Ursack did not warrenty them though, and I have seen pictures were mice have definitely gotten in. I guess it depends on how determined they are, and if given sufficent time.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 7:23 am 
Adohrn wrote:
Other suggestions The Nat Geo trails illustrated map
I have all the Nat Geo Maps for Washington & Oregon. They are good large scale maps (typically 1:75,000) for planning trips, and on trail use for the areas they cover. However, there are huge areas of the state not covered by these Nat Geo maps. There are some large scale Green Trail maps as well. Their Mt. Rainer (269SX) one is far better, and I like their Snoqualmie Pass Map (207S) as well. I generally prefer carrying the Green Trail Map(s) as they have has far better detail when I'm actually on the trails. Otherwise the USGS map. Luekotape is good stuff, but very hard to find locally. I ordered from amazon. I don't see it as a mole skin replacement. If there's already a blister, moleskin has it it's place. With trail runners and the Injinji toes socks I haven't had an blisters in a long time.

Deltablue

Deltablue
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 am 
Thanks for all the tips so far. I'm wanting a base weight of 11-15 lbs. Looking in to leukotape; I've had good luck with duct tape, but the quality is getting cheaper every year. Never heard of the Ratsack before--I'll look in to that. I'm going the freezer bag route for cooking. Looking at the 1.1 L pot as a combo--heating water for food and a hot tea all at once. Bad logic? Friend of mine has the deuce of spades--I'm not entirely sold, but swaying. Stakes I'm looking at groundhogs. They're the lightest I've found, and I've had no luck with aluminum so far. Is the 70 L pack overkill? If I do PNWT then I'm going to have to take up to 10 days worth of food at a time from research so far.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:05 am 
70L seems a bit large, but to each his own. I fit 2 weeks of food into a 34 liter pack once... but wish it had been in the 45 liter range just to make it easier. Also that is with tent/bag on the outside. If you wanted those inside... then you are getting into the 60 range I think...

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am 
I own the same SMD Lunar Solo Se tent, I've only used it with the SMD large pin stakes that seem plenty adequate and not overly heavy. My primary tent is a Tarptent Contrail, I uses the MSR ground hogs with that. These MSR stakes are 7075 aluminum, and are very strong (I've never bent one.) Only downside is they have a lot of surface area to knock dirt chucks off when packing up. With backpacks you really need to decide on what your individually priorities are. Fit is essential and trumps all other considerations. After that you can prioritize weight, volume, comfort, back ventilation, waterproofness, material strength, and pack feature/arrangement. For long trails, especially with long segments or potential bear canister carries a larger volume pack makes sense. My entire gear list is https://lighterpack.com/r/dlhbxa On hotter days I'll bring a OR Ferrosi jacket in lieu of the fleece. With marginal weather outings I'll bring an ultra-light (breathable) 2.5 layer rain suit instead that would add an additional 18 ounces.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 10:25 am 
Good Stuff, I was talking to my daughter who is on the PCT about the most common gear she see's people on the trail carrying... Tent : Zpacks Solplex and Duplex, Big Agnes Copper Spur Backpacks : Osprey Exos series, HMG Southwestern 3400 Stove : Snow Peak Lite Max, Soto Windburner, MSR Pocket Rocket Filter : Sawyer regular and mini, Katadyn BeFree is starting to show up Bags : Zpacks and other lightweight bags - quilts Every trip is going to have a different mix and match as far as UL gear combinations I just carried more weight than I have in 2-3 years. I think it was 20 lb. with clothes, food x 3 days, water, ice axe, crampons, gaiters and teddy bear. I can't wait to carry my lightest stuff on a trail. MLD Prophet 48L Cuben : 14.5 oz. Zpacks 30 degree long bag : 16.7 oz. or 20 degree long 19.8 oz. Zpacks Altaplex : 17.9 oz. Katadyn BeFree filter : 2.05 oz. / 3L Seeker Dynapak compatible storage reservoir. Stove : I usually split a single jetboil setup but have a Soto ODR1 on standby (2.6 oz) Pad : Thermarest Neo Air X Lite (12 oz. ) Clothes and food are the heavies, but I have those items pared down. I think shoes make a significant difference as far as the efficient use of energy. I have used Hokaa One Speed Hikers with great success for two seasons now.

Living in the Anthropocene
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 11:14 am 
Vargo titanium Shepard hooks. Very strong. Painted versions much easier to find if dropped. For my tarp I use groundhogs on the ridge line and the Shepard hooks on the sides. Light gaiters, ex altras 1.3 oz or dirty girl Rain kilt. Example https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/mld-rain-kilt/ I personally have a piece of tyvek used to block one end of my tarp that doubles as a kilt. Seen people use their smaller ground cloths in this way as well. Combined with rain jacket or umbrella this the best rain protection I have ever come across when your on the move. I second body glide. If you don't know what it is find out. For washing cloths 2 gal zips. Fill and move well away from water source. Add a couple drops of camp soap and agitate then let soak for 30-60 min. Wring out I don't even rinse. Amazingly clean cloths.

TwoTent
TwoTent

TwoTent
TwoTent
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 6:14 pm 
I didn't take the time to read all the advice on here so I may double what has already been said. Lots of options...the main thing is to try them on trail yourself because everyone has different needs/wants and comfort zones. I would say that if you are a novice....ddont go all the way super ultra light. it takes some trail time to get used to your system. the more time ya spend in the woods the less you will "need". I would say add some butt creme of some sort. desitin(spelling?) or something like that. walking long miles in the sun everyone overheats at times! the sawyer mini works ok but is pretty slow. i have a couple in my pack room but always go back to the big sawyer case i don't like to sit and let the bugs eat me when I'm filtering water. i use Gaiapro for navigating except when I'm on pct and then use halfmilepct. gut hook is good too but i'm happy with what i have. i also carry an in reach sos/gps/text unit. i'm a solo hiker most of the time and ya never know when you may need it. gossamer gear sells a nice ultra light umbrella i use, rain and sun both, also they have some mini gear bags that velcro on pack straps for stuff you want to get on the run. I have an ursack and love it unless in in the olympic park or somewhere i need a hard sided container. if you are interested i have quite a collection of hiking and packing books i can forward the titles to you of the ones i like. happy trails!!

looking for hiking partners, new trails, photo ops
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 pm 
If you haven't read this book/blog yet, I highly suggest it: http://ultralightbackpackintips.blogspot.com/ Game changer. My baseweight is 12-14 depending on the hike and time of year. I carry luxury items like a pillow (.6oz) and camp shoes (9.7oz). Back up batteries and all the stuff. Full size compass (not luxury). For a 5 day hike, I'm never more than 25lbs total pack weight. Unless I'm hiking in with a nice fresh meal for dinner... Your pack is on the heavy side, both in weight and volume. Mine last year (Gossamer Gear G4) was 17.6 oz. I section hike the PCT for 5-6 days at a time and it's great. Used it on the WT, as well. I suggest getting 50l or less if you can. Your sleep pad could be lighter. I have a Neoair at 9.4 oz. ULrs will tell you stoves are optional, you can cold soak food in a plastic peanut butter jar. Cat stove setups come in at 3oz or so? I use the Opsak Locksak (1.55oz) for food, never had a problem with mice in hundreds of miles (the biggest problem on the WT, PCT, etc.) If I hike with others and everyone's food is hung, mine is always left alone. Just a few ideas, just depends on what is important to you. I second many of the others here. Of course, they say the things you leave at home weigh the least. smile.gif

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.