Forum Index > Trail Talk > New bridge on Section line Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 15, 2017 5:47 pm 
A new Tiger Mountain bridge has been constructed on the Sectionline trail shortly before the Nook cutoff. The trail is a good conditioner with 2500' gain in about 3 mi. To West Tiger 3 from IHS. It is seldom crowded. The trail is officially closed now but the bridge is in with a 3' drop to the ground on the north side. Previously at this point there was a shor dip to a creek or a rotted stringer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nordique

nordique
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 4:57 pm 
And what a bridge it is! A helicopter bridge--and right at a place, low on the Section Line trail, where the rocky creek crossing can be very icy in cold weather:

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 6:18 pm 
I use to live in Issaquah. I use to hike the Tiger area weekly. I remember being on one of the trails (accessed from the High Point area) the trail was closed, and a bridge much like that one, accept bigger and heavier was blown down the valley a good 100' from the place it was installed at. Now understand this, there was a "Small" creek in the valley and the bridge was at least 6' off the ground! The only conclusion I could take was that a torrent of water came down that draw and pushed that bridge down the valley until it was lodged against a stump! A 6' deep wall of water??????

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 7:53 pm 
Tom, that was the high point creek bridge there was a big flood that knocked it out for years. You should see the one they replaced it with looks like the Sidney Harbour Bridge. Slight hyperbole wink.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostMon Jul 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
Shhhhh. . . . You can also go up the first (steepest) part of Cable and cut over at the Talus trail and get directly on to the business end Section Line.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 am 
Interesting stories about Tiger. These new bridges are a far cry from the primitive ones put in by Bill Longwell and others in the Issaquah Alps crowd many years ago. I heard Bill used to use salvaged railroad logging spikes to save money on hardware.
Spike tree
Spike tree