Forum Index > Gear Talk > About Them Hokas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 2:28 pm 
A friend talked me into buying a pair of Hoka shoes. I have since been able to walk longer and more frequently with no heel pain. I am a believer. After doing research on Amazon, I see that they also make hiking boots. Does anybody have those and are they as good as the shoes at keeping the plantar faschists smile.gif at bay?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm 
Here is wildernessed's review of the Hokas in case he doesn't see your post. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8016541&highlight=hoka I believe he also has the boots and was wearing them on the last hike we did together.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm 
up.gif I have run in Hoka One One Speed Goats since they came out and am running in the recently released v 2.0 which received a major rebuild. I hike and backpack with the Speedhikers which are awesome for an aging body being maximally cushioned and ultralight. The major plus for me has been no heel blisters which have plagued me for years due to the flexibility and soft heel. hockeygrin.gif I am a fan.

Living in the Anthropocene
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 5:43 pm 
Guess I'll order a pair. Maybe the big Amazon Sale will have some. Thanks. I am very impressed with the shoe.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 6:31 pm 
A Hoka One One hiking boot received an Editor's Choice here: Outdoor Gearlab Best Women's Hiking Boots

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 7:17 pm 
I like everything about Hokas except the narrow toe box (it rubs my big toe and gives me a corn). I tried a couple different pairs two years ago and sold them both on ebay. This year they came out with a wider toe box so I got a pair of the hikers a half size bigger than I normally wear. I hiked up Saddle Rock three different times and will probably never wear them again. They are currently sitting on my 'to be ebay'd shelf'. They seem to be great boots, just not for my feet. If you need more room in the toe box...Altra makes all of their footwear with a weird asymmetrical shaped toe box that actually looks like your foot. I currently have 4 pair and love them.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:05 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
If you need more room in the toe box...Altra makes all of their footwear with a weird asymmetrical shaped toe box that actually looks like your foot.
I like the Altra Lone Peak 3.0 but actually prefer the Saucony Peregrine 7 which has a nice wide toe box as well. It isn't as wide as the Altra Lone Peak but it is much cooler in my opinion. It also fits better across the top of the arch. The Altra shoes are zero drop but the Saucony shoes are only 4mm, which is less that 3/16" drop. For all intents and purposes these shoes are the same in drop. Anyway, I always like to direct people to try the Saucony Peregrine as well as the Altra Lone Peak. They are the same price as well as having similar features. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am 
I was talking to a local retailer here and asked him if Hoka was going to redesign the Speed Hiker in the image of the new "Speedgoat" and he said after visiting the Outdoor Retailer show this year Hoka has no plans to continue the current Ultra, Summit, Tor Tech, Speed hiker line but is going to redesign new UL hikers completely. hmmm.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 7:28 am 
I guess the Amazon sale is just for certain pieces of junk. I ordered a pair of boots from REI. As is the usual case, women's styles are fewer than men's to choose from. I have bad and weird feet so don't know how they will fit. Hope they increase my mileage so I can actually enjoy a hike rather than turning around and hobbling back. The shoes are increasing my walking time and ability to go the next day. Had to call up the help desk because the second to last number on my REI card had rubbed off. lol.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 11:00 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Hope they increase my mileage so I can actually enjoy a hike rather than turning around and hobbling back.
My standard procedure has always been to experiment with trail runner/low top tennis shoe type footwear only on local day hikes that are around two hours or less. But always wear boots on backpacking trips (usually a rather substantial supportive boot). But this last trip I did into Martin Lake on Saturday I threw caution to the wind and wore a pair of Altra Olympus 2.5 trail running shoes with an arch supporting insert in them. My pack with food and water was under 20 lbs but I had no foot problems at all after three hours of continuous hiking. I may trying doing that more often on short backpacking trips that are on a trail. One nice thing about that is that they are much lighter and you don't need an extra pair of camp shoes. Also, they dry quick so you can blast through streams if you so desire.

drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 11:18 am 
Hi, I have the Thor Ultra Hi WP. 1) Love the comfort of the thicker sole. 2) NOT water proof or even water resistant. I got soaked through walking through wet grass while wearing gaiters. 3) Shoe laces broke within one season. Hope this helps. Randy

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 5:09 pm 
I have been using hokas for a couple of years now. I am NOT happy about the direction the company is going regarding supporting REAL hiking....i.e. they seem to be not going that direction. I almost have to use the mild rocker hokas with a fair amount of cushioning due to a recently fusted ankle. I have modestly wide feet, so that comes into play on my choices in footwear also. I started with the Bondi4 wide for recuperation right after ankle fusion. They greatly accelerated my progress in getting back up and moving. But after awhile the Bondi 4 just felt too squishy, resulting in a somewhat unstable feel. I have used 2 different models of their hiking boots which have worked well with a fused ankle. But some major caveats. First of all, just my opinion, but the Tor Ultra seems ridiculously overpriced and I haven't even tried that model. I absolutely love my Tor mid Ultra boots, but I bought them a bit undersized for serious trail use, and as my mileage increased, toe bashing became a problem. Waterproofing is a joke, unless you spray them to get keep them from wetting out, then you get mild waterproofing. Because they discontinued the Tor mid Summit and replaced it with a low cut version, I had to try their Tor Tech mid boot, which I am using a lot now. On the plus side, the subtle rolling action and not too much padding underfoot works great with my fused ankle, and its a pretty stable boot. WTF were they thinking on the new Tor Tech? It is a running shoe with a taller ankle now. No fast laces on the upper section so it takes forever to get into and out of it, although it fits my semi-wide feet like a glove once I am finally laced into them. And it is basically a glorified running shoe now, using all nylon on the upper instead of the nice leather wear points of the summit. Lightly lugged sole is amazingly grippy in every terrain I have thrown at it, as a plus. People with deeper lugged boots have slid on trails where I am gripping with no problem. THAT is impressive. So, I like the less padding than the Bondi, I like the mild rocker, and I like the grip and lightweight. But they seem to be pulling away from the hiking market, which sucks for me. I wrote them and the previous human response from another correspondence was replaced with a cold form letter saying "whatever" to my input. I fear I will have to start looking for alternatives for hiking soon.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 6:42 pm 
I've had 10+ pairs of Hokas. The ones marketed as "hiking boots" are actually little more than trail running shoes with high tops and (ugh) eVent liners that will fail sooner or later (sooner for me). Hoka trail shoes are fine on trail, but IME awful off-trail because they have virtually zero edging power (the price to be paid for lots of cushioning). IME, durability of the uppers is not great. If you're looking for a highly cushioned trail shoe, try 'em. If you're looking for a shoe or boot with edging power, look elsewhere.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
high tops and (ugh) eVent liners that will fail sooner or later (sooner for me).
DUDE, you're like 6'8 or something. Can you imagine the weight those POOR shoes have to sustain on every foot strike? Let alone you running like 200 miles over night.... Or something.. hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 8:35 pm 
Hmmmmm, wonder why Steve bought 10+ pair of them then?