Forum Index > Trail Talk > Good options for alpine hikes with kids - AAC or ???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jul 14, 2017 5:42 am 
In about 3 weeks, I intend to take my son and two grandsons (13 & 15) to Mt Adams to make an attempt on the summit. Last fall we turned back due to snow, hail, rain, etc before we got to the snowfield. I don't expect any problems, but over the winter I've been considering "what if". So, what are my best options for rescue/transport if needed? AAC? An air ambulance service (and if so, which one)? Thanks all.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
woodchips

woodchips
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 8:33 am 
Washington generally uses volunteer Mountain Rescue services outside of the national parks. If you have an emergency that you can't self evacuate from, the county sheriff will generally take the lead on the rescue, and will coordinate Mountain Rescue and/or a helicopter rescue. Nowhere in Washington would you be charged for a rescue, so no membership is required. If you need to call for a rescue, a PLB, Spot, etc, is best. Cell phones might work on Adams, but I haven't been there in a few years to be sure. You could confirm exact details with the local Forest Service ranger, but that has been my experience as a Mountain Rescue volunteer in Bellingham.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message