Forum Index > Trail Talk > Three Fingers Info.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 6:30 pm 
The last time i went up to Three Fingers, you could drive to the trail head. I am interest in any info about the meadow mountain trail. I know where the trail head is as i hiker up to it in 2015. What is the distance and time to hike the Meadow Mountain trail to Saddle Lake. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 8:39 am 
It's 5 miles with 2800 ft of gain. I can't speak to it's current condition. I know people have been brushing it out the past few years.

hikerman77

hikerman77
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 4:26 pm 
Thanks Schroder. I found a report on WTA (http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-07-09.2416980389) but the info did not make a lot of sense for time frame and mileage. I am planning around mid August to climb Three Fingers. Gathering info to decide whether to go the original trail via a bike ride or go up and over meadow mountain.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 9:30 pm 
11 hours to the lookout is plausible considering Meadow Mountain is unmaintained and brushy and the Three Fingers trail has always been rough and slow.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm 
In September of 2015 I biked the road and hiked up the old trail. We started riding about 9 am, stashed bikes at the trailhead, hiked into Goat Flats and setup camp quickly, then up to the tower. We reached the tower around 5:45 pm, so a little short of 9 hours total. Neither of us are mountain bikers, and we were riding with light overnight packs, but we're both fit and fairly fast hikers.

hikerman77

hikerman77
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:51 pm 
Thanks for the info. Gives me some options. Planning either mid week or Friday / Saturday in Mid August.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:33 pm 
Don't do it, you'll be sorry! wink.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017138 How long should it take? About 13 hours RT, maybe less.. wink.gif https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8017138 Have fun! PS...be careful descending the road on bikes on the way out, can be difficult to control your speed when you are a bit exhausted.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 6:51 am 
Chief Joseph, I am in the senior citizen age too, 59 in September. I have been to Three Fingers 3 time, so for me I can leave it. It is convincing my friend for another destination. All the reports I have seen suggest a long slog to just get to the look out. I am already looking for alternative hikes. Was looking at Buck Creek Pass and High Pass, but it is closed because of the fire. Thinking 3 days/2night trip t with great views of the cascades. Anybody have some suggestions. Thanks for all the input.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:28 am 
I agree and the snow-ice crossing just past tin pan gap could be an issue given the higher than average snow pack. When I first visited the lookout several years ago that particular crossing was solid ice. I had micro spikes but was not comfortable attempting a crossing. I was able to scramble down and around it, but that was very difficult as well. Although just making it to the gap would be a good hike in and of itself and camping at Goat Flats is very cool.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 8:39 am 
Hikerman77 wrote:
Chief Joseph, I am in the senior citizen age too, 59 in September. I have been to Three Fingers 3 time, so for me I can leave it. It is convincing my friend for another destination. All the reports I have seen suggest a long slog to just get to the look out. I am already looking for alternative hikes. Was looking at Buck Creek Pass and High Pass, but it is closed because of the fire. Thinking 3 days/2night trip t with great views of the cascades. Anybody have some suggestions. Thanks for all the input.
If you've already done it then I would not recommend repeating it with the 10 mile RT road walk. I did it a couple years ago and the road walk was so incredibly boring. Then the trail itself was horribly overgrown with brush up to my chest. I did it as a fast and light day trip, so I can only imagine how annoying it would be to haul overnight packs all that way. Check out the Chikamin/Lemah area. Mind blowing.