Forum Index > Trail Talk > NASA: Drone noise is bad
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gil

Gil
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 pm 
Leaving this right here. https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/18/study-says-drone-noise-more-annyoing-than-any-car/

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 10:09 pm 
This isn't exactly rocket science -- that something that sounds like a giant mosquito is annoying!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 pm 
Doh.

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:31 am 
Dear Wilderness Drone Flyers - just as you like to fly your drones around when you are in the wilderness, I sometimes like to fly my rocks around when I get outside. So your sweet new drone better not hit my sweet new rock I just found by Snow Lake, Lake Annette, Jade Lake, Rampart Lakes, pretty much any ALW lake, just saying. With love, Rock Thrower

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:46 am 
On Adams a few weeks ago we encountered a drone. It took a few minutes to figure what that weird noise was. It was buzzing over the us and the crowds on the south route. Given the crowds and popularity of the route when we were on it, the drone was only mildly disturbing. However, had I been on a solitary cross-country adventure somewhere else, it would have been very depressing.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 12:11 pm 
Isn't it just soooo cool - humans have found YET another way to annoy their fellow humans. As if it already weren't hard enough to find a quiet soundscape. Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. I don't own one of those things-that-must-not-be-mentioned, but if I did, I would definitely consider any drone I encountered where it didn't belong as an opportunity for target practice.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 12:59 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Just because something is legal doesn't make it right.
They are actually not allowed "in or near" wilderness areas. Problem is enforcement, of course.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
Drones are the new version of clay pigeons. guns.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm 
Foist wrote:
They are actually not allowed "in or near" wilderness areas. Problem is enforcement, of course.
If you mean that they can't fly "over" the wilderness by this statement, that's incorrect. If that was the case you couldn't fly a heli or fixed wing or a 747 for that matter over the wilderness. Of course they are allowed over wilderness areas IF they take off from outside the boundary. They are treated as any other aircraft and there is NO flight restriction as a "general rule". ( there are exceptions ). There is only a "request" to stay above 2,000 ft., but no legal "requirement". You can read the actual law, but the USFS does have a easy to read and understand page here. https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd523225.pdf Here's the cut'n paste from the document. Can UAS be flown from Wilderness Areas? No. UAS are considered to be both “motorized equipment” and “mechanical transport” and as such they cannot take off from, land in, or be operated from congressionally designated Wilderness Areas. Can UAS be flown over Wilderness Areas if the operator is outside the Wilderness Area boundary? Per Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) guidance on “Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas,” all aircraft are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of lands and waters of U.S. Forest Service Wilderness Areas.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 1:50 pm 
Obviously that is NOT what I meant. How many of these people are really launching it from outside the wilderness areas and keeping them over 2000 feet off the ground? Give me a break.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
Drones are the new version of clay pigeons. guns.gif
And an unleashed Lab can fetch it for you. Or at least the bigger pieces.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN

KekistaniProphet
LOL I WIN
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm 
SteeperColder wrote:
Dear Wilderness Drone Flyers - just as you like to fly your drones around when you are in the wilderness, I sometimes like to fly my rocks around when I get outside. So your sweet new drone better not hit my sweet new rock I just found by Snow Lake, Lake Annette, Jade Lake, Rampart Lakes, pretty much any ALW lake, just saying. With love, Rock Thrower
Leave no trace bruh

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:29 pm 
Foist wrote:
How many of these people are really launching it from outside the wilderness areas and keeping them over 2000 feet off the ground? Give me a break.
I know several that do flyovers from outside the wilderness boundary. There is no legal requirement to be above 2,000 off the ground over wilderness areas.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm 
KekistaniProphet wrote:
Leave no trace bruh
Good point. If you do knock down a drone, be sure to pack out the pieces, if the owner doesn't recover them.

Chico

Chico
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:27 pm 
sooperfly wrote:
There is no legal requirement to be above 2,000 off the ground over wilderness areas.
Huh? Thought the max elevation was 400 feet (above surrounding topography.)