Forum Index > Trip Reports > French Cabin Mountain (North Peak) - 7/19/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
I had a little bit of time this morning so I decided to head up French Cabin Mountain and explore a little. First and foremost, the road is pretty terrible and I highly recommend a high-clearance vehicle. Technically I'm not even sure if the road is officially open as there was a demolished gate with bullet holes in it laying on the ground. There are several washouts and a stream crossing. Also, the road is overgrown in spots and you WILL scratch your vehicle. Anyway, I drove until I was stopped by a large pile of rocks. The trail starts immediately to the left of the rock pile. There is a sign but it's somewhat hard to see. The trail was surprisingly well maintained and easy to follow. In fact I think the trail was actually better than the road. I don't think I stepped over a single log. I followed the trail until it traversed below the north peak and then I went off-trail and followed the open ridge until I reached the summit. The views were great and it looked like it was only going to get better if I continued on to the other points on the ridge. Unfortunately time constraints forced me to turn around. I encountered a bear just a minute or so after starting, which was my first sighting in this region of the Cascades. biggrin.gif No human sightings. up.gif About 5 miles RT with 2,200 ft. of gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 4:40 pm 
I always wondered how rough that road is. Looks too rough for my Corolla...stream looks at least a foot deep!

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
I always wondered how rough that road is. Looks too rough for my Corolla...stream looks at least a foot deep!
I don't think it's that deep. There's also a concrete pad there. The real issue is the washed out areas where I'm pretty sure a regular car would bottom out on.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 5:59 pm 
This is a very interesting report. I didn't realize the Domerie Peak trail kept that name all the way north over Baldy, Thomas, South and North French Cabin peak. I wish access to the south end was more clear. Thanks for the road update.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 7:09 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
I didn't realize the Domerie Peak trail kept that name all the was north over Baldy, Thomas, South and North French Cabin peak.
The sign had me super confused for moment and I had to look at my GPS to make sure I wasn't crazy. Really would have made more sense to give the trail a neutral name since it connects so many different peaks.

thename

thename
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am 
I walked this route 2 weeks ago from the South end and made a loop back along the Silver Creek Tie turned off just after the South Peak. USGS 7.5' shows it as 1308 the whole way and it's very well marked. Has been artfully maintained along the whole ridge.