Forum Index > Trail Talk > Muir snowfield gear
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 12:10 am 
A friend is coming in for the weekend and we're going to head up to Camp Muir for a day trip- hopefully starting on the trail around 8AM. I've got microspikes, crampons and an ice axe/helmet, but he doesn't. I'm wondering what is worthwhile to try to scrounge up for him. I'm assuming of the 9000 people that will be up there, there will be someone wearing chuck taylors and short shorts only that does just fine, but we'd like to be more prepared. Last couple trip reports on WTA mention microspikes are not necessary. But for a long snow slog I'm leaning towards picking a spare pair up for him. I tend to bust mine out before most people do as I hate slipping. I'll probably leave my crampons at home, but my summer snow experience is generally short easy crossings that are about to disappear so not exactly sure what to expect. As far as an ice axe, I'm guessing we'd only need it for glissading. Not sure what the conditions of the chutes are at this time of year- but I've also read that they never get too steep and aren't even that good. If there will be decent chutes I'd love to show him the ropes, but not sure if it's worth finding/renting an ice axe.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:55 am 
if your friend doesn't know how to use an axe, then without training in a safe spot it's probably better to not bring one as there are risks to improperly using an axe. if your friend is athletic, microspikes will probably be sufficient. crampons, for some, take effort to not stumble over, so there's that for a consideration. i would personally bring everything you yourself own for your friend as well. extra weight means nothing for a trip like this. i would also teach on the proper use of these things, but it sounds like you might not be at that level yourself. just remember: it's easier, footing-wise, to go up than down in many cases. don't get your friend in over his/her head.

Arginine

Arginine
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 am 
Maybe microspikes but thats it from your list. Boots with good tread should do fine though. You don't need helmet, axe, or crampons. You should have extra sunscreen (physical blocker not chemical), wind layer and a puffy and sunglasses.

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:42 am 
If you want to glissade be sure to bring something to sit on on the way down. It isn't 100% necessary but it will make the slide down much more comfortable. As far as footwear, I've done it plenty of times in straight mountaineering boots and ski boots without any spikes or crampons. If it's during the day, the snowfield generally gets pretty damn soft anyway and the snow can and will ball up on them even with anti-bot devices. I just find its easier to have a hard boot to jam into the snow and really haven't ever had a problem with traction. Also consider trekking poles over an ice axe for your friend. I know technically you could run into trouble up there with a errant crevasse or get off course and in a place where you might need to arrest, but let's be honest, if the weather is clear, you'd have to be doing something pretty crazy to get that off course adn it simply isn't steep enough for you to tumble to your death on the main route. I completely agree with Iron though, if you have the stuff, bring it. DO NOT forget sunscreen and dark sunglasses though. That snow is wonderful and reflecting the sunlight. Make sure to suncreen the bottom of your nose as well.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:04 pm 
There are only two short places on this hike that are steep, usually with deep boot track. Trekking poles help of course, but I've never brought an ice axe or crampons or had reason to wish for them on this hike, and I've been doing it for over 20 years, during all seasons. Sun protection is a must, you will get fried on even a cloudy day. If the weather is warm then gaiters help keep snow out of your shoes or boots on the descent. The only time I haven't used trail runners for Muir have been either climbing or skiing. Go during good weather and pick up the sheet issued by the Park showing critical points with lat/long and compass directions, and bring a compass and/or GPS. Even on a hot day, when the sun dips below the mountain the temperature can drop mightily, so bring warm clothes. Finally, here's the entire route over 6 minutes via time lapse, recorded in April 2015 in one 2:55 push. Expect snow to be absent on the lower portions of the trail at this time of year.
Camp Muir in 6 Minutes from Willis Wall on Vimeo. A ski mounted view for the descent:
Muir Snowfield to Paradise Ski-May 21, 2014 from Willis Wall on Vimeo.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:13 pm 
No need at all for an ice axe or helmet. If the weather is at all questionable, take a GPS in case the mountain gets socked in. Glissading is dangerous.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 pm 
Trekking poles are more useful for Muir and much safer than an ice axe, particularly if you are not practiced in using the latter. In inexperienced hands, an ice axe can mean a trip to the emergency room or worse. Bring lots of water. And yes, stash some warm clothes and rain gear (to block the wind) in your pack.