Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seven Lakes/High Divide campsites question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altersego

altersego
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 3:10 pm 
We planned to try this last summer but our cat was so old I couldn't leave him alone (albeit with a cat sitter) for long. The sweet old guy has since passed. Just wondering if anyone has experience camping up there mid-week at Heart Lake or Lunch Lake. Reservable sites are all booked but it looks like those two locations have multiple sites. Do they tend to fill up no matter what? Maybe I should call Oly Park Ranger station, eh? Any input is most appreciated!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 3:29 pm 
PM sent with some other options in that area.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
hbb

hbb
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm 
ONP has been putting out a chart showing campsite availability, but it hasn't been getting updated regularly in the past few weeks. It's available at the bottom of this webpage: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/wilderness-reservations.htm The 7/11 update is available here: https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/upload/Wilderness-Campsite-Availability-7-11-17-3.pdf As you'll see, Lunch Lake is booked for most of August, even midweek.

altersego

altersego
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:00 pm 
Yeah I figured it was a hotspot and that reservations chart confirms it! It looks like there are non-reservable permit options outside of those spots. So I might head out on a Sunday or Monday, try to snag a first come permit at the WIC and see how the rest shakes out. Thanks hbb and meck!

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:46 pm 
I hiked the high divide a couple years ago on labor day weekend or the weekend after (can't remember). I stopped at the ranger station and asked for a permit and they immediately told me they were booked. I asked really nicely and told them I just have a small tent and don't need much space, and they gave me a permit. When I got there, I don't think the sites were even half full. I would prepare alternate plans, but it does help to ask for a permit in person.

Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 pm 
This is the one hike i should have done 40 years ago, just so I could have done it more. Time it right is like walking through a calender. Go up Solduc, skip Deer lake. PM sent.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 10:55 pm 
Morgenroth lake is awesome, worth the elevation gain and loss. I also enjoyed Cat Basin, slightly off the main path, often empty. I took this video in Cat Basin.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 am 
I would encourage you to highly consider somewhere other than Hart or Lunch Lakes in the Basin. Lunch Lake is the poster-child for overrun alpine lake rant.gif and Hart isn't far behind. There are plenty of great campsites in other locations and other lakes that are far more scenic and pristine.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
altersego

altersego
PostFri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am 
I'm all for avoiding the over-used areas—I try to do that on day hikes, too. I appreciate all the input!