Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking wedding question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mrjake1424

Mrjake1424
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:11 pm 
My fiancee and I live in Seattle and we're wanting to hike out on a day trail with ~20 people in order to get married in a beautiful spot out in nature. Our goal is to find a not-too-strenuous hike (approx. 4-6 miles (really flexible on that)), with a mostly quiet stopping point with a great view to have the ceremony, but we're having a hard time tracking down a spot that fits. We realize that what we're looking for is very specific and likely won't exist perfectly, but we figure if we're ever going to find a spot, we better ask the experts. So if any of you all have suggestions of hikes you think might be what we're looking for we'd really appreciate it. Also, if you have questions or want more clarification before answering, ask away.

Jacob Waitman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 5:58 pm 
Fyi, due to your group size, you would need a permit in Wilderness Areas. You could possibly need a permit in a local National Park. State Park space/limits might also apply. It's hard to give you an answer without possible locations.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 7:25 pm 
Corral Pass. Good view of Mt Rainier, short hike, not in wilderness area (unless you hike a long way from the pass) Off of hwy-410 and then several miles of dirt road.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 7:40 pm 
Corral Pass is a good idea. It made me think of the hike to Noble Knob from there. You could hike to Noble Knob and have the ceremony on top, although the summit would be crowded with 20. Or have the ceremony in the meadow just below Noble Knob. Plenty of room to spread out there. Then everyone could "consummate" your marriage by hiking the rest of the way to Noble Knob. disclaimer: don't know if any of that is in wilderness.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 7:55 pm 
My daughter and her hubby got married up on the top of Mt. Constitution in the San Juans. No real hike but you can't beat the views. You can see the islands, all the way down to Mt. Hood, the North Cascades and up into the coastal range of Canada.They were going to make the wedding party do a four mile hike up to the old LO on Blewett Pass but the groom's family did not like that idea.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:06 pm 
Congratulations.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 8:10 pm 
You could see Hood from Mt. Constitution?! dizzy.gif It must've been a really, really, really clear day. I usually can't see Hood from places a good 100 miles or more south of there.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm 
FWIW: Ferrys in the San Juans are currently running on an emergency schedule due a boat being out of service due to a generator failure. Unless the wedding is next summer, getting to Mt Constitution on Orcas will be challenging-- unless everyone is ready to ride bikes onto the ferry and up the mountain.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 pm 
What about Crystal Mountain Resort? You could ride the gondola up and hike across one of the ridges and have your ceremony in full view of Mt. Rainier. I did a little looking at the resort's websites. Mind you they do have full service weddings there. So your event might have to be discreet. Who knows? If you have standard LNT hiking ethics and don't raise a ruckus, you could pull it off. You could do a scouting trip and check it out. Here's their hiking page. That Northway Trail looks interesting. Here's the hiking map. The pros are: 1) relatively easy access--good roads in, 2) restrooms and a restaurant on site, 3) gondola ride up or down or both, and 4) access to hiking trails at a good altitude. You probably need a NW Forest Pass to park, I should think. Here's a web cam of the view from the gondola landing. Another cam view here. The cons--I can't think of any at the moment. wink.gif ~z Note: Here are some recent WTA reports for that area.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 10:38 pm 
4-6 miles, near Seattle. My thought would be the bridge at Twin Falls Perhaps reserve a shelter at Seahurst Park (Puget Sound Water Front) There are spots in Seward Park (Lake Washington Views) including a meadow on top, that might work well.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jul 22, 2017 11:44 pm 
I've seen Constitution, with binoculars, from The Rockies, SW of Elbe, NW of Morton. Now that's much closer than Hood but that LO at Constitution is much smaller than Hood. Yes, it was a crystal clear day.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 am 
Pyrites wrote:
I've seen Constitution, with binoculars, from The Rockies, SW of Elbe, NW of Morton. Now that's much closer than Hood but that LO at Constitution is much smaller than Hood. Yes, it was a crystal clear day.
This Mount Constitution (2409 ft) is on Orcas Island in the San Juans. There's a road to a parking lot near the top. On a clear day there you can see a great distance, as it's the only location above ~500 feet in the San Juan group. It's a very popular climb on a road bike. The Washington Ferry system takes reservations for the San Juans, so you can guarantee space for a sailing. The area around Morton and Elbe is in The Cascade Range, not The Rockies.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:56 am 
InFlight wrote:
The area around Morton and Elbe is in The Cascade Range, not The Rockies.
huh.gif Pyrites: I am interested in how you got to a viewpoint in The Rockies, there is a very rare and disjunct flower up there that I would like to find and there is very little information available. Can I PM you or are you willing to describe the route here?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
mike

mike
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 9:06 am 
InFlight wrote:
as it's the only location above ~500 feet in the San Juan group.
??? confused.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 am 
InFlight wrote:
The Washington Ferry system takes reservations for the San Juans, so you can guarantee space for a sailing.
Because of the emergency schedule due to a boat being down, the ferry system is not accepting additional reservations at this time. The boat is expected to return to service by September.