Forum Index > Trail Talk > Hiking wedding question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mike

mike
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 9:25 am 
Quote:
and we're wanting to hike out on a day trail with ~20 people in order to get married in a beautiful spot out in nature.
You didn't mention a date. Weather will be a factor in the mountains. And I think any hike will be dependent upon the least mobile person. The rainshadow would be the best bet for sun. Whidbey or the San Juans or around Pt Townsend, Sequim. Travel time logistics even with the ferry isn't any more difficult than a trip to e.g. Mt Rainier. A lot of people get married on Mt Constitution but it is a drive-up and very crowded in summer. Another much less crowded option is Turtleback. (contact the LandBank) On San Juan many people get married at Lime Kiln Light. Another option is on Mt Young which is a short walk, great views, no crowd. Also several beaches or other hills. PM for contact info for the different land owners.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 9:47 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
You can see the islands, all the way down to Mt. Hood,
Maybe they saw something but it wasn't anywhere close to Mt Hood.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 10:30 am 
mike wrote:
InFlight wrote:
as it's the only location above ~500 feet in the San Juan group.
??? confused.gif
Out of the 90+ other islands most are well under 500 ft. There are other a few high points of note. San Juan Island has Mt Dallas at 1000 feet. Lummi Island has Lummi Peak at 1740 Blakey Peak is 1042 There are a few spots on Guemes, Burrows, Stewart, Waldron in the 600 foot range.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:04 am 
mike wrote:
Maybe they saw something but it wasn't anywhere close to Mt Hood.
Thanks mike. I did a double and then triple take when I read that.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 am 
mike wrote:
You didn't mention a date. Weather will be a factor in the mountains. And I think any hike will be dependent upon the least mobile person.
These are both two very good points--especially the latter. Will there be children or elders? Or is the entire party comprised of hikers with some degree of experience? ~z

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:44 am 
Regarding Corral Pass, last time I was there (years ago) it was a really nasty, gnarly drive. If you like this option, I suggest at least checking out the current road conditions. Another idea: Cascade Pass/Sahale Arm. The views are beautiful from the trailhead and only get better.
The best trail in the park...
The best trail in the park...
If people should start putting pressure on you to hold the wedding in a more accessible place closer to Seattle, another option is holding the wedding at a beautiful location within the Seattle Arboretum. My wife and I were married there 42 years ago and I'm pretty sure it was free.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 12:00 pm 
Mt Rainier is a possibilty, but you'll need a permit https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/a7593fa1-24f1-4dab-a4b0-bc1a1401041c

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 1:18 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Thanks mike. I did a double and then triple take when I read that.
Ok, OK already! Give me a break it was my daughter's wedding and I just drank a glass of champagne. Maybe it was Mt. Lassen I saw.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 3:28 pm 
Just bustin' your chops a bit HTT. Yeah probably if you look north from there you can see Denali. Or at least Waddington.

mike

mike
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Or at least Waddington.
You can reportedly see Waddington from Mt Washington so not too far off smile.gif (always too cloudy whenever I've been there)

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 am 
Try Suntop Lookout, down near Greenwater and overlooking Mt. Rainier. You'll need a Special Use Permit from the USFS, but it's driveable by street cars, has decent views, can have a hiking element if you want as well as driving for those who can't make a hike. Call the Enumclaw Forest Service Office for info! And Congratulations!

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 2:18 pm 
Yeah, Sun Top is an excellent idea. If volunteers are staffing the lookout, the gate will be open and you can drive that last mile all the way to the top. Lots of room up there, a nice vault toilet and great views of Rainier. Sign at the LO parking lot says NW Forest Pass is required. So that also leads me to suggest Kelly Butte LO. Not much flat room right at the lookout, but just a little below and to the south I think there'd be enough room for your group. Noble Knob is accessible via two other routes besides the Corral Pass one. I recently did the 70>72>7250>7250-210 access (the WTA directions were spot on). Bob at Wapiti Woolies favors the 70>72>7222 access (he has a map he hands out). Those logging roads are in better shape than the Corral Pass road. Note the Noble Knob trails are open to mountain bikes, which could pose a hazard to a large group of hikers. As well the two accesses via FS 70 need good navigation skills, since many of the junctions are unsigned. The drive to Sun Top and the logging roads of FS 70 to Kelly Butte and Noble Knob trailheads are driveable by most cars. However, the washboards and potholes are naturally more comfortably driven by higher clearance vehicles.

mayumi

mayumi
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm 
I second the Cascade Pass idea. Our wedding ceremony was at the trailhead for about 15-20 people a few years back. There is a little picnic area and the views are gorgeous. We did request a permit and it was $15. No dogs permitted (hey, some people really want dogs at their wedding!). If you hike in to the pass, that would be beautiful but the trailhead was nice enough for us.. there were some family members who would not have been able to hike. Of course, this idea would not work in the winter because the trailhead is inaccessible.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 pm 
Diamond head at the top of Blewett pass on national forest land. Rarely visited, 1 mile hike from where you park the car, flat, lightly forested plateau on top with views like this:

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 3:40 pm 
Sauk Mountain. High above the confluence of the Skagit and Sauk rivers. An ideal place to begin the confluence of your lives. Mt Baker can be a witness.