Forum Index > Trail Talk > Vesper+Sperry GPS tracks?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
adamschneider

adamschneider
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 4:34 pm 
Anyone have any GPS tracks from a trip to both Sperry Peak and Vesper Peak (Mountain Loop Highway area)? Or maybe just Sperry Peak? It sounds like Vesper is pretty straightforward, but I'd feel better having a little beta on Sperry.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:32 pm 
No GPS track either, but I don't think you'll need it. Jeff is right though Sperry is the one you need to be concerned with as far as the route, and I'd agree it's the better summit view of the two. I'll reference the main Summitpost page here, the route page here, and the main route photo below:
My other pointer would be from the Vesper / Sperry saddle stay high on the ridge, sticking to the rocks and avoiding vegetation until you get to the base of Sperry to pick your route up. It kinda sucks from there up, but it's relatively short.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 7:23 pm 
I likely didn't do a writeup for Sperry as I couldn't find one. But Beckey is right when he says Class 2. I did it with my son when he was maybe ten. You won't have any trouble on Sperry.

adamschneider

adamschneider
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 10:31 pm 
Thanks for the replies. What about the ridge BETWEEN Vesper and Sperry — the one with a 5800'+ peak in between the two saddles? Any tips for that traverse?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:17 pm 
I haven't climbed Vesper and Sperry at the same time, but I've done both. I've climbed the headwall of the basin just beyond the lake, and then traversed the ridge towards Sperry and towards Vesper. It goes pretty easy. I think once you are there and eyeball it, you won't have any problems. GPS tracks or advice is not necessary.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 12:23 am 
adamschneider wrote:
What about the ridge BETWEEN Vesper and Sperry
Scrambling down Vesper toward the 5800' peak goes fine, and Pt 5800 is a fun scramble with great views of the impressive ridge leading over to Big Four. I don't have notes, but I'm pretty sure we did not continue on the ridge over to Sperry (dropped down and found the "trail" up) but that part of the ridge looks difficult in photos.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 am 
adamschneider wrote:
What about the ridge BETWEEN Vesper and Sperry — the one with a 5800'+ peak in between the two saddles?
From what I remember, when you get to the Vesper - Wolf Peak (5800) saddle if you cut straight across the SE face of Wolf at the saddle elevation there is a lot of vegetation to contend with. If you gain ~100 ft elevation (just an estimate) the terrain is a lot more rocky and pleasant albeit a bit scrambly. If you have experience scrambling this should be no problem. Just ascend a bit from the saddle and route find your way across.

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:09 am 
When I did Vesper + Sperry in August 2009, we did Vesper first, then descended slightly to about 5600' and traversed across to Sperry. Here's a photo looking back at Vesper from Sperry area.
And on the way to Sperry -
Album link here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/8246712@N03/albums/72157622087481573

mountainflamingo

mountainflamingo
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:25 am 
Here is a track from 2014 when I did both. We climbed the Ragged Edge up the north side of Vesper and descended the standard route and bivied on some ledges up on the ridge between the two. Unfortunately my camera was out of order at the time, so i don't have any photos. I remember Sperry being a fairly easy scramble, with some brush, via something along the lines of the blue or yellow dots on the summitpost picture.

adamschneider

adamschneider
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 pm 
Thanks again, for even more replies. I think, if we do this, we'll go up Vesper and then see how we feel about traversing over to Sperry. We've got all day.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:41 am 
Vesper is definitely the more pleasant climb of the two. Several said better view from Sperry, but I don't think you can see Copper Lake from Sperry. It's in a deep bowl directly below Vesper, and it's gorgeous!

some names

some names
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm 
I recall doing the Vesper-Sperry traverse 08-08-2004 as a Mountaineers scramble . . . actually, b00 and Gabriel were on the trip too. What I remember is that the descent from Vesper toward 5800+ (Wolf Pk), was no problem (agree with Puzzlr). I think we found a ramp a little above 5600 to cross below Wolf Pk to the Vesper-Sperry saddle . . . remember it as enjoyable travel. Have included a few photos to indicate character of travel on the route . . . please excuse the limitations of digital cameras in 2004. The only difficulty seemed to be the final scramble on the Sperry summit block . . . finding the class 2 . . . maybe a couple of Tarzan tree grabs on the way down. All in all, a very enjoyable and scenic route. Each summit definitely has the best view.
08 Aug 2004, On Vesper with b00 and Gabriel present. Sperry Pk behind (L)
08 Aug 2004, On Vesper with b00 and Gabriel present. Sperry Pk behind (L)
Crossing shoulder of 5800+ (Wolf Pk) (L). Vesper-Sperry saddle (C)
Crossing shoulder of 5800+ (Wolf Pk) (L). Vesper-Sperry saddle (C)
Enjoyable travel descending from Vesper Pk
Enjoyable travel descending from Vesper Pk
View to Vesper-Sperry saddle and Sperry Pk
View to Vesper-Sperry saddle and Sperry Pk
Sperry Pk from Vesper-Sperry saddle
Sperry Pk from Vesper-Sperry saddle
Stitch view of Veper-Sperry route, Vesper Pk (L), Wolf Pk (C-L)
Some veggie belays on the way down from Sperry Pk
Some veggie belays on the way down from Sperry Pk

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm 
some names wrote:
Nice pic! up.gif This reminds me again how much I'd like to traverse that ridge running out to Big Four. Also confirms you can't see Copper Lake from Sperry. You can obviously see the lovely Lake Elan (or Vesper as most refer to it as).

adamschneider

adamschneider
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 3:27 pm 
Well, I made it:
I took that photo from near the summit of Sperry Peak at about 4:30 Saturday. The dotted line on Wolf Peak is the way I probably SHOULD have gone; I dropped down to the saddle's elevation a bit early. In other news, I LOST one of my trekking poles on Sperry Peak. frown.gif While doing the steep gnarly descent through the trees, I intentionally dropped my poles down a few feet so I could do a two-handed veggie belay — gotta love those flexible non-sticky hemlock branches. And when I got down to where I'd chucked my poles, one of them was missing! I searched around for 15 minutes, but one of them must have slipped in between the trees and gone over a cliff. So if you happen to be on the west face of Sperry at about N48.01632/W121.50338 (or below that point), keep an eye out for an aluminum Leki trekking pole with duct tape wrapped around it betwen the joints and the grip.

some names

some names
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 5:03 pm 
Yay! Looks like a great day!

somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere