Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > An open letter to FOG CABOS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 8:42 pm 
Dear FOG CABOS (Fat Old Guy Carrying A Bunch Of Sh1t), When venturing from your urban sprawl for your weekend in the mountains, you are likely to encounter many new and exciting things. This includes new people. People who are new to you are called "strangers". You can assume a couple of things when meeting strangers. You can assume that it is irritating to greet a stranger with a nickname you have just created, like "Flip Flop Guy". Other, better greeting options are "Nice day for a hike" or simply "Hello". You can assume that strangers do not want to hear your unsolicited and unfounded opinions, like that hiking in sandals will "make you slip and fall and die" or that a strangers choice of footwear makes them "completely under-prepared". You can also assume that a couple of fit young strangers that have clearly already completed the hike you think they are "completely under-prepared" for -with no evidence of falling to their death- must have done something correct. I know it's a stretch, but one could even imagine a guy in sandals hiking thousands of miles or running ultramarathons. You shouldn't assume that footwear that resides on feet not-your-own poses some sort of threat to you. You CAN assume that the footwear you chose at the beginning of the hike will likely remain safely on your feet at the end of the hike, and will not transform into death-trap-tevas simply from proximity to the undershod. Sandals are not contagious. However, strangers might assume that your obesity, age, and shortness of breath are likely a greater threat to your safety than a few straps of webbing and rubber worn by someone you don't know. They may also conclude from your behavior that you, sir, are a shart basket of a human, and these strangers might head down the mountain hoping you get a few extra black flies for your trouble. Sincerely, Flip Flop Guy /rant

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 am 
Sounds like you have a problem too. Try to suck it up, smile and go on. You don't need to berate fat people--I are one. We do it to ourselves every day. Good on him for getting out. Oh, and we older people fat and non fat sometimes like to be more comfy and might carry more stuff. Just think, when there is a temperature drop on a summer day (that happens) we just might have something in that overloaded pack to help an unprepared sandal wearing skinny (underinsulated) "hiker" keep warm. Too bad he didn't have an unleashed hound to piss ya off even more! lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:51 am 
Your feelings were hurt by..."flip-flop-guy"? crybaby.gif Home schooled?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:13 am 
In these trying times we must all be more cognizant of how our attire can affect other people's wilderness experience. Was anyone wearing a cotton shirt? Did you have cotton socks on with your sandals? Was any flannel visible? Were you properly slathered in zinc based SPF 97? (Preferably fluorescent orange so SAR can find you more easily.) DEET or Picaridin?...it makes a difference to some people, you know. Cargo shorts, for God's sake, was anyone wearing cargo shorts?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:45 am 
Schenk wrote:
Was anyone wearing a cotton shirt? Did you have cotton socks on with your sandals? Was any flannel visible?
Why do I now have the image in my head of a combined "socks in sandal guy" and "blue tarp camper" from the Pemco ads.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
trestle

trestle
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 8:57 am 
Schenk wrote:
Cargo shorts, for God's sake, was anyone wearing cargo shorts?
Love it. biggrin.gif I bought a pair last month at Costco, the flat cargo pocket with zippers style. dizzy.gif Go ahead and slay me. As for the OP, wow, unsolicited trail-side wisdom. I was hoping for a post like the immortal "Rules of the Road" thread but rather it was just another merely mortal rant.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:31 am 
Alas, even when fueled by amazing beers, I'm clearly no TAH embarassedlaugh.gif I suppose as the North Cascades are slowly overrun by people creeping further and further up I-5 I'll likely gain more "wisdom". Feels like 7-8 years ago I could hike almost anywhere in the park (maybe not Cascade Pass) and run in to just a handful of people. Sandal hatred isn't confined to the area though. I've been educated on my recklessness all over this state (sandals are "dangerous" in the Enchantments and "ridiculous" on the Wonderland, if anyone was wondering), in Hawaii (oddly enough), all over the UK but particularly in Ireland (berated in awesome accents makes it more fun). I wonder how often Joe Valesko from Zpacks gets attacked by the sandalphobic, after completing the Triple Crown in Tevas. And I like Blue Tarp Camper! Reminds me of SAR...

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am 
You could have just given the guy the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was from out of the local area, where unfortunately they just can't seem to grasp the socks and sandals guy thing.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:20 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Your feelings were hurt by..."flip-flop-guy"? crybaby.gif Home schooled?
rotf.gif rotf.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 10:50 am 
they have a thing for that, you know....
butthurt report
butthurt report
wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 11:17 am 
Sometime around twenty years ago on the hike to spectacle lake we ran into a guy doing the PCT from socal. He wore only Tevas and socks and was on his sixth pair by the time we met him. I was impressed. I got some odd looks when I wore my sandals and socks into Russia while there was still snow on the ground. I wear sandals and socks all the time (and I have a late model Japanese 4x4) but I don't wear them while hiking. Too much water, dust, rocks and steep slopes to make it comfortable for me.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 1:48 pm 
I stopped wearing Sandals when I left the Seattle area 30 years ago...but all of my shorts actually qualify as "cargo shorts". I like pockets and I keep things in them..secret things. muuuwwaaahhhahahaha Hey, just how long have socks and sandals been fashionable in Seattle? 40 years at least. I paired the 2 when "tire tread" sandals were popular in the 70s back in Billings MT.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 8:21 pm 
Steve wrote:
"...I don't wear them while hiking. Too much water, dust, rocks and steep slopes to make it comfortable for me...."
If they're a good fit, try it without the socks. Only problem I've had with Tevas was fording the river with a pack on because the Velcro straps weren't sticking quite as well as they should have - too much junk stuck in the Velcro (loose threads, weed seeds, whatever.) Figured out the best thing for picking that stuff out of the Velcro is a tiny crochet hook. I actually find this thread (and the OP's narrative) hilarious. I had to switch to my Tevas to hike out after my "regular" footwear - a pair of Hi-Tops - tore to shreds on me. It wasn't something I did by choice. Worked fine except for stubbing my toes on rocks and roots on the trail on the way out. Tevas are fine for hiking. I've lost count of how many pairs I've worn out.

trestle

trestle
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 7:36 am 
For those who like to hike in Tevas, doesn't the crud that inevitably accumulates under your foot drive you crazy? Socks obviously help lower the irritation factor but while it may work for you, I can't rock the socks, sandals, and shorts look. Funny, it doesn't bother me so much if I'm wearing pants but I can't stand it if I'm wearing shorts.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm 
I think the OP can be summarized as.... Hike your own hike