Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > BLM seeks public comment on E-bike usage.
Previous :: Next Topic  
ree

ree

PostSun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
https://www.blm.gov/press-release/blm-seeks-public-comment-proposed-e-bike-regulations
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 pm 
Quote:
As a remedy, the proposed rule would amend the BLM’s current off-road vehicle regulations to add a definition for e-bikes, compatible with Secretarial Order 3376, Increasing Recreational Opportunities through the use of Electric Bikes. This proposed change would then give local BLM land managers the authority to use that definition to conduct their own lawful decisions on whether e-bikes may be operated on public lands in their jurisdictions.

In addition, the proposed rule would direct the entire BLM to specifically address e-bike usage in future land-use or implementation-level decisions.

Public lands designated by Congress as “wilderness areas” will remain off-limits to both traditional bicycles and e-bikes. Also, e-bikes would not be given special access beyond what traditional, non-motorized bicycles are allowed.

up.gif  up.gif

It seems most trails on BLM land are already motorized / eMTB legal but if not there will be a lot of resistance.

https://www.evergreenmtb.org/blog/updates-on-e-mtb-access-advocacy-in-washington
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 6:40 pm 
Sorry, I'm confused.
Maybe I need to read more?
Links to some intelligent pro/con?
(I do not own a bicycle, E or otherwise. I just want as many users on trails as is possible with a minimum of user conflict.)

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon Apr 06, 2020 6:51 pm 
Seems reasonable to me.

Edit to add: I shared this with a bunch of road cyclists.  I encouraged people to comment whether they agree or not, but I made a case that eBikes are replacing some car trips, people are more likely to invest in one the more use they can get out of it (recreation and exercise, not just utility) and that fewer cars on the road and more bikes makes all of us safer.

It still pisses me off that my FTP is 1/4 what they consider a small amount of power.   rant.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 pm 
I'm still trying to ride mine at 35mph up a steep trail. biggrin.gif  So far, I've gotten it up to 22mph on a downhill stretch of paved road.  I've gone faster on my acoustic bike.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > BLM seeks public comment on E-bike usage.
Jump to:   
Search this topic: