Forum Index > Trail Talk > SE Olympics Snow Conditions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JPH

JPH
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 2:52 pm 
Anybody have recent beta for snow in the SE part of the ONP? Looking at a loop from the Lena Lake trail up around the north side of Mount Stone and back down the Putvin trail. I'm not really worried about walking on snow, but the trip will be way better if the lakes are all melted out. I saw a report that upper Lena was melted out, but Milk was frozen solid. Curious about Hagen and LoA. Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 5:06 pm 
Here's a pic of Mt Stone & St Peter's Gate from July 1 (taken from Dry Mtn to the south). [edited after reading OP more clsoely, 'doh] Obviously you saw one of the recent WTA TRs from Upper Lena indicated that it is melted out now, though milk lake was still snowed in. The recent LoA TR made it sound like that was melted out pretty good now too. I did a similar loop a couple years back in Oct 2013, only passed on the south side of Stone. When I hiked it, although it was almost entirely snow free at the time, the scree/rock ramp up to St Peter's Gate, from the ponds on the north/east side, still had some icy/hard pack snow, and I used crampons to ascend, though microspikes would have been fine. If you have microspikes and trekking poles (or an axe instead of poles) I'd recommend bringing them to ensure your route success. Parking a mountain bike at the Putvin TH makes for a quick return trip to the Lena Lk TH. I'd definitely be interested in hearing how bad the bushwhack is around the north side (or how you got over that large rocky ridge).

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 11:54 pm 
meck wrote:
Here's a pic of Mt Stone & St Peter's Gate from July 1 (taken from Dry Mtn to the south).
Was there any snow on Dry Mountain?

meck

meck
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:18 pm 
ranger rock wrote:
Was there any snow on Dry Mountain?
Only a few patches, 2-3' thick, on the very top of the ridge (possibly completely gone now)

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*