Forum Index > Trail Talk > Bellingham climber dies after falling into crevasse on Forbidden Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 3:30 pm 
By The Associated Press, Updated July 24, 2017 at 3:19 pm Susan Bennett, a 61-year-old woman from Bellingham, was with a group of four who had climbed to the summit on Saturday. They were descending the West Ridge when she fell several hundred feet. Park officials believe Bennett was rappelling when she fell. “She lost control and wound up slipping off the end of the rope,” said Denise Shultz, chief of Interpretation and Education at North Cascades National Park. A National Park Service helicopter and crew located Bennett, with no signs of life, in a 30-foot-deep crevasse. The rest of the climbing party descended and hiked out. The rugged terrain and weather conditions caused a delay in removing Bennett’s body from the mountain. North Cascades National Park officials say they’ll likely recover her body on Monday. The West Ridge of Forbidden Peak is a popular route that was listed as a top climb in the popular guidebook “Fifty Classic Climbs of North America.” The route requires travel on steep snow and exposed, technical rock climbing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:11 pm 
frown.gif RIP Susan angel.gif

trestle

trestle
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:10 am 
RIP to the departed. A rappel on the descent, how unfortunate for all involved.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 am 
Sad, RIP climber.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 9:29 am 
No knots on the end of the rope or an autoblock? I thought the mounties were big on safety.

jared_j

jared_j
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:29 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
No knots on the end of the rope or an autoblock? I thought the mounties were big on safety.
C'mon, man

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 10:58 am 
jared_j wrote:
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
C'mon, man
Just curious as to the nature of the accident. Can we not ask questions? This is a discussion forum not a memorial service.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:10 am 
I don't see a problem with asking questions and seeking info as to the nature-cause of this accident...answers and info that can possibly keep others from the same fate.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:22 am 
Very sad. RIP. In terms of speculation, best to err on the side of caution in these type of threads as friends and family inevitably stumble on them. It is a memorial in a way.

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostWed Jul 26, 2017 11:24 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Wait for the accident report, before speculating. Mounties are big on safety, autoblocks on rappel were a big part of this years lectures and scenarios.

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 9:51 am 
:-( http://komonews.com/news/local/bellingham-womans-body-to-remain-on-forbidden-peak-glacier

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:16 pm 
Preventing the next accidemt is a fitting memorial to the victim. Rappelling is one of the most dangerous things climbers do. slow down, check everything 3 times. I was once about to start over the edge when my more competent partner Paul pointed out that I had my figure-8 set up incorrectly. Don't forget to cower under something when you pull the ropes -- we dislodged a football-sized rock once, a fragment of which hit my partner, without serious injury, amazingly. Jim was once bithely pulling the ropes while standing on a 3" ledge above a long vertical drop, thinking he was safely anchored, when Karl pointed out that he'd somehow missed his clip and was not tied in to anything. Keep your brain turned on. Watch your partners.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:54 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Preventing the next accident is a fitting memorial to the victim. Rappelling is one of the most dangerous things climbers do. slow down, check everything 3 times. I was once about to start over the edge when my more competent partner Paul pointed out that I had my figure-8 set up incorrectly. Don't forget to cower under something when you pull the ropes -- we dislodged a football-sized rock once, a fragment of which hit my partner, without serious injury, amazingly. Jim was once bithely pulling the ropes while standing on a 3" ledge above a long vertical drop, thinking he was safely anchored, when Karl pointed out that he'd somehow missed his clip and was not tied in to anything. Keep your brain turned on. Watch your partners.
This post is a good reminder why I will never be a climber.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 1:13 pm 
How long does it typically take for an accident report to come out and who completes them? Unfortunately we can only speculate until then unless someone has more specifics and finds it appropriate to share. Nothing wrong with a respectful discussion but I'm not sure speculation is all that beneficial.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 1:25 pm 
The Mountaineers website has a sweet memorial for Susan Bennett.