Forum Index > Trail Talk > Quick questions regarding Goldmyer hot springs area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 1:40 pm 
I'm planning on doing a big loop hike next week (Snow Lake to Goldmyer HS to Dutch Miller Gap to Williams lake to Waptus lake to Pete lake to Ridge lake then back to the I90 and then over to the Snow lake trailhead). I've never been to Goldmyer and just found out that they like reservations a week ahead (although they do allow reservationless visitors IF they have room). I also found out they sometimes take 2-3 days to return phone calls, so I may not hear from them before I want to leave. First question: Since the Middle Fork road is apparently going to be closed next week, it's hard to believe they wouldn't have walk-in space for those hiking in all the way from Snow Lake without reservations -- right? Second: In the event I'm wrong and they don't have room, are there any campsites nearby (off the grounds), like within a mile or so?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 4:54 pm 
There is a campsite where the middle fork trail crosses the stream that descends out of Snow Lake - but that is about 2 miles backtracking from Goldmeyer. You could always camp at the old Dutch Miller TH, which is about 3 miles past Goldmeyer. I'm not sure if there is camping along the trail between Goldmeyer and Dutch Miller TH, I have only walked the road.

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 7:14 pm 
If you go there during the middle of the week you have a good shot of getting in. Not so much on the weekend.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
contour5

contour5
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 pm 
I've never had a problem just showing up- usually on a week day. There's a rough camp on the gravel bar just below the log crossing to the Red Pass trail. (right below the property)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:37 pm 
The reservations apply to use of the hot springs as well as camping. Bathing in the hot springs is quite enjoyable, don't miss it.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Aug 19, 2017 2:05 pm 
Thanks for the info! I found that the road is going to be closed another week, so the only people arriving at the hot springs are the people who hiked the entire way. A reservation person DID call me back yesterday and it sounds like the odds are highly in my favor for just showing up.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 11:05 pm 
I'm glad to hear you got a call back. Originally there were not going to be road closures this summer so when the schedule changes (as it did again this week) it's a lot of extra work for the office staff to contact everyone that made reservations, and lots of phone tag can happen. Goldmyer prefers to talk to people making reservations because of the high percentage of visitors that otherwise would not bother to read about the amount of walking/hiking needed to get there, what to expect, and the basic rules of conduct (e.g. alcohol policy, no glass at the hot springs, etc). For the record, there is a nice campsite on the north end of the bridge crossing from the road to Goldmyer, about 1/4 mile from the caretakers cabin. It's not on their property so USFS rules apply.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Aug 21, 2017 9:42 am 
Thanks Puzzlr, very helpful!