Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cougar kills dog on hiking trail in Ronald
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm 
http://q13fox.com/2017/07/25/cougar-kills-dog-walking-with-owner-on-kittitas-county-trail/ This happened in my neck of the woods. Something to be mindful about if you hike with a smaller dog.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 2:35 pm 
KOMO has it also: http://komonews.com/news/local/dog-attacked-killed-by-cougar-while-on-a-walk-with-its-owner Not so good, but also not very common.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 3:42 pm 
So one must gather that : A) They were very close to civilization. B) The dog could not have been all that small. C) Woman could have been attracted rather than the dog. When I did Baring in early June. I ran across old cougar poop. Then on the way back my Husky went into her high alert mode. I put her on a leash for a while... Glad the cat got away. Live every day like you will die tomarrow. For some day that will be true.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Chico

Chico
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 4:08 pm 
Sorry for the dog but she should have known better. People in town report them coming onto their porches so it's not like they don't know the animals are there. So why let your dog run off leash?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 5:17 pm 
So it goes, Cougar was just following its nature.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm 
Chico wrote:
Sorry for the dog but she should have known better. People in town report them coming onto their porches so it's not like they don't know the animals are there. So why let your dog run off leash?
If that is the case, I better get rid of my dog because I believe that dogs need to be dogs and they can't do that by being on a leash every time they are outdoors. There are reports off and on of cougars in my neighborhood. It is a fact of life. My dog is outside on her own at this moment. I take her out into the woods, where cougars, bears and skunks are and let her go. It's a chance I take. The Demon Dog is a very fast runner and just might out maneuver a big kitty. We will most likely never find out.
I suspect I came close to a cougar when walking with The Used Dog. He freaked out. He was normally a cool, calm guy but he became frightened of something so we went home. Since he barked at bears, I assumed there might have been a big kitty near enough to to smell. That's just the way it is. We look at the odds and such attacks seem rare to me. I am more worried about getting clobbered by a car when the dog is on leash and we are walking on the county road to get to our woods routes.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities