Forum Index > Trip Reports > Gunn Peak, Gunnshy, Tailgunner, Wing, Plane Wreck, GPS track. A plethora of Pics 7/21/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:03 am 
Justus S. wrote:
Great report! For folks doing Gunnshy it would be cool to take a photo from this location. old photo
Just looked at that thread just now. Good job on the picture ID! Definitely taken from the basin south of Gunnshy. There's a "bump" with (sparse trees) at the end of the east ridge of Gunnshy, and it's clearly visible in the foreground below Gunn. And I'm 90% certain the peak in the lower right is Wing. The shoulder of Point 5760 would be in the foreground right below that. I didn't get take any pictures from that general area where this was taken (if I did, they were pointed towards Gunnshy). Eureka! I looked through my pics again and found a one I took just after I left the summit of Gunnshy. It confirms the positive ID of that photo. But I'm too close to the summit for the right angle. That old picture was from a slightly lower elevation.
If i ever trek back up there, I'll go looking to recreate that shot...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:19 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Do you use a very wide angle lens to reduce the number of shots you need to take? Do you do it hand held or use a pano head?
I just use my android phone for the photospheres. Some phones have that option in the camera app. But google also released an app for creating them and posting them publicly. I haven't tried the iOS version There is a way to do it with a DSLR. The Google approved kit is with a 8mm fish-eye lens. They also suggest PTgui and licenses start at $96 for that software.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:00 pm 
went back there twice this season, great little area. only thing i have to add to your fantastic report is to watch out for the head-level wasp nest right after the waterfall crossing (which is now just a drip), about 10 ft off the path. also be sure to find the trail immediately after crossing the creeks at the very start, as you mentioned. if you don't, you'll waste a bunch of time bushwhacking. here's a link to my photos of the wreckage on wing mtn. it was a navy plane in 1953 that for some reason was documented as having crashed on black peak. curious as to where wing luke's plane went down in 1965.

SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 pm 
neek wrote:
here's a link to my photos of the wreckage on wing mtn. it was a navy plane in 1953 that for some reason was documented as having crashed on black peak. curious as to where wing luke's plane went down in 1965.
I had not heard about a plane from 1953. I thought that Wing was named as such due to Wing Luke plane going down. It is often quoted in the media as crashing on Merchant. But Wing is so close to Merchant, that I assumed that was the reason. It would be interesting to hear more about the 1953 crash. Everything I read on Wing Luke's plane has it crashing on the south side in the talus field below the summit of wing.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm 
SultanHiker wrote:
Everything I read on Wing Luke's plane has it crashing on the south side in the talus field below the summit of wing
yeah same here. is it possible that 2 crashed in nearly the same spot?? from my pictures it's clear that the debris near the summit is from this Navy flight. digging into that incident a bit (e.g. this death record) puts it near Jumpoff Ridge. i did not explore the wreckage further down the talus slope. anyway, very curious. both incidents are briefly mentioned in the History section of this site, might follow up there.

neek

neek
PostFri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 pm 
Also this description of Wing Luke's crash doesn't sound like that talus field at all. They had turned south, it was near a waterfall, and wasn't found for 3 years. With the wreckage so clearly visible on the approach to Gunn, it wouldn't have taken someone nearly that long to find it. 5800 feet, could be the E summit of Merchant.

SultanHiker

SultanHiker
PostSat Aug 12, 2017 12:04 am 
neek wrote:
They had turned south
Only thing i could think of was they turned south and clipped the top of the talus just below the summit of "Wing" and the debris scattered southward down the slope (or over time, sliding way down). But I too was confused with the reports of Wing Luke's flight path. But you're pics with the IDs of the aircraft are undeniable, and the the links you referenced are excellent. Can you confirm where exactly your pics were taken? Jumpoff ridge is well to the NNW of my pics from below Wing. But easy for someone in the 50s to call it Jumpoff Ridge from the maps. Also, the only Black Peak in WA that i could find is nowhere nearby (North of Stehekin). But one of your links references a helicopter out of Baring, which would make it more likely that the 1953 crash is indeed the wreckage below Wing.
neek wrote:
With the wreckage so clearly visible on the approach to Gunn, it wouldn't have taken someone nearly that long to find it.
There weren't a lot of pleasure climbers back in the 50s and 60s. And on my hike to Gunn, I would have never even seen the plane wreck if it weren't for these forums. I actually made a point of seeking it out. But if your pics are from the same spot mine were, then I would lean towards your history being more correct. I was here:
And it looks a lot different when you're up there. Wing doesn't really have two summits... And the peaks are much more treacherous and steep! If you'd like to go do another search of the wreckage, or explore the slopes of Merchant, I'd consider joining you some weekend in September...