Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Low-flying meteor last night?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 2:39 pm 
A brilliant low-flying "meteor" was seen late last night across the Northwest from Astoria, Oregon to Victoria, B.C. This would have occurred around 10 pm. People have seen it in West Kelowna, B.C., West Seattle, Bothell, Green Lake, the Clinton-Mukilteo ferry, Woodinville, Anacortes, Olympia, Hood Canal, Wenatchee, Lacey, near Castle Rock, Suquamish, Winthrop, Preston, Leavenworth, Eugene, Friday Harbor and many more places. Anyone here see it? Meanwhile, there was this event going on in Alaska and Texas--a testing of the missile intercept system. Some are thinking it could be what was seen. Others saying the "meteor" was too far east. Interesting coincidence if nothing else. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 4:13 pm 
Okay more just in from the American Meteor Society. They're calling it the Washington Fireball. Some great graphics/maps here on this page. Quote: The AMS has received 225 reports so far about of a fireball event seen above the state of Washington on July 29, 2017 around 9:54 PDT (July 30, 2017 ~ 04:54 Universal Time.). The fireball was seen primarily from Washington but was also seen as far south as Eugene, Oregon and as far north as Enderby, British Columbia. According to our latest estimated trajectory, the fireball traveled in a southeast to northwest direction passing just east of Seattle and terminating over the town of Pilchuck on highway 9. Be sure to check out the map at the bottom with the trajectory and sightings noted. ~z

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 4:34 pm 
Nope was outside and at the base of Saddle Mt at that time. Pretty much a little East and South of Astoria. Would have been in dense tree cover when it went over, but 20 min earlier was in a perfect viewing spot. I think the Japanese fog bank was in full swing as well between me and Astoria. This sucks so close yet so far. I really want to see something like that one of these days.

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 8:28 pm 
A friend and I were camped on the crest and felt like we had a front row seat. It was really neat.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 9:25 pm 
My wife Anita and her friend were camping at Granite Lake (near Spectacle Lake), saw the meteor and then heard a boom, maybe an impact or maybe a sonic boom.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:01 am 
Hmmmm...the US Military did a test of the West Coast ICBM intercept system over the weekend, didn't they? EDIT: Oh, never mind. The OP mentioned that, sorry.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Chico

Chico
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:47 am 
Perhaps it was a successful launch from North Korea.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 12:02 pm 
I am surprised that more folks in the back country haven't reported on this from the weekend. Here are a few of the observers that I noted: *We saw it up at Hood Canal – bright, fireball, low, purple – amazing. We all saw it because the ISS was traveling over Belfair at 9:42 p.m. so we were out just watching the night sky. *I saw the meteor tonight. Sitting my backyard in Fall City, it streaked across the sky heading north. Super bright, slow, and low. It was stunning. Seemed to disappear just before it dropped below the horizon. *We are in Wenatchee. We had driven our UTV up in the mountains to enjoy the star filled sky and then this beautiful ball of fire, with what looked like three streams of blue/white fire trailing behind it. Most amazing thing I have ever seen. *We saw it at the Seattle Astronomical Society Star party at Paramount Park ! Wow! Looked green with an orange glow at the end and then break up. Everyone was of course looking up already as we were at the star party We thought we heard a sonic boom minutes later. *We were returning from a wedding in Portland, and saw it just north of Castle Rock. It seemed like our own personal meteor, so interesting to hear how many others saw it and where. *We saw it from up on Tiger Mountain. The tail was bright red and orange and the rest was blue. *Saw it from Lake Chelan. Most spectacular sky visual I have seen. Any dash cam videos? *Admiring the stars in Preston when a big green meteor with a red and yellow tail went flying by overhead. From horizon to horizon, absolutely gorgeous. *We saw it from our boat out on Lake Roosevelt near Coulee Dam, Washington. Beautiful sight from our boat out night fishing. It was so close! Watched it track over the Dam and then appeared to burn out. *We were at a bonfire last night in Suquamish and we all were amazed at how close it appeared. It was by far the coolest thing I have ever seen. Only wish I had been able to record it. I'll add some more later. Sounded so exciting. Sorry that I missed it. ~z

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 11:18 pm 
Just found this really nice poster from the American Meteor Society that describes/illustrates the various types of meteors. Quote: A fireball is another term for a very bright meteor, generally brighter than magnitude -4, which is about the same magnitude of the planet Venus in the morning or evening sky. Interesting that they use the planet Venus as a reference point. But that makes sense since it's easily recognizable to most star watchers and lay folk. The poster came from this page which covers the FAQ's for Fireballs. Apparently they fall pretty often, but are not seen since many occur over the ocean and the uninhabited portions of the earth or during the day and obscured by sunlight. ~z