Forum Index > Trail Talk > Multi day backpack alone. #Just got back#
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:30 pm 
Anyone go out on multi day backpacking trips alone. Both my partners dropped out and I still want to go but have never been out by myself. Any advice? I'm doing it but I know I will get the willies when I am out there by myself. Trying not to leave after the first night or in the middle of the night. paranoid.gif

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:34 pm 
Bring music and headphones, for some reason when I am alone in the woods every noise could be the boogeyman...or a large bear, or cat. When I am with someone, I barely notice the eerie noises. paranoid.gif Feel better now? Ps...I doubt if any of these other "macho men" will admit to being afraid while alone in the deep, dark woods. cool.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brockton

Brockton
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:44 pm 
Use earplugs for sleeping. I've never worked up the nerve to go backpacking alone, but even on trips with friends I still use earplugs more often than not. I enjoy listening to the calm night sounds while lying in the tent but every time I hear a stick snap or whatever my heart starts racing and I can forget about sleeping for a while. I tell myself that the odds of anything bothering me in my tent are close to zero and sleep in earplug enhanced silence. (Also, a little whiskey doesn't hurt.)

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:49 pm 
You WILL freak for a bit. Then it goes away. And eventually you'll get to the point you where you'd rather hike by yourself.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:50 pm 
Definitely bringing the whiskey along. I think I would be more scared if I couldnt hear anything around me. Maybe I will just bundle up in some thick bushes each night. No tent, no fire and nothing will know I'm there.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:52 pm 
chiwakum wrote:
You WILL freak for a bit. Then it goes away. And eventually you'll get to the point you where you'd rather hike by yourself.
It has been some time since my last solo day hike. It really has a much different feel to it.

none
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 10:57 pm 
Take a deep breath and relax. Stick to the trail and don't venture off trail AT ALL if you are uncomfortable hiking alone. This is a good opportunity to get your skill level up. Learn how to read and use a map, and I don't mean using an app on your phone. Your going to meet plenty of people on the trail who could be of help. You will be ok regardless. Think of it as a learning experience. If your really uncomfortable buy a beacon. I bought one to give my wife peace of mind. Although I would rather crawl through wild mountain rose bushes for 5 miles than activate it. I pray that I never that it never comes to that as I have to be conscious to activate the darn thing. Happy trails.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:02 pm 
I forgot to mention the possibility of being abducted by UFO's. Keeps me up at night. Thank god for single malt.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Take a deep breath and relax. Stick to the trail and don't venture off trail AT ALL if you are uncomfortable hiking alone. This is a good opportunity to get your skill level up. Learn how to read and use a map, and I don't mean using an app on your phone. Your going to meet plenty of people on the trail who could be of help. You will be ok regardless. Think of it as a learning experience. If your really uncomfortable buy a beacon. I bought one to give my wife peace of mind. Although I would rather crawl through wild mountain rose bushes for 5 miles than activate it. I pray that I never that it never comes to that as I have to be conscious to activate the darn thing. Happy trails.
Thanks for the advice. I've been hiking plenty and on many multiday backpacking trips . My experience level in high and I have been to this area a few times. Not many people in this area during the week. Part of the Ptarmagin Travers. The thing that will get to me in the middle of the night is aliens, monsters, ghosts, that type of thing. I know my mind is just going to run wild.

none
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:08 pm 
Waterman wrote:
I forgot to mention the possibility of being abducted by UFO's. Keeps me up at night. Thank god for single malt.
+1

none
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostSun Jul 30, 2017 11:15 pm 
I would go solo if no one would go with me and I wasn't going off trail. Usually I hike and canoe with others. It is safer that way. But people have been going alone in the wilderness for thousands of years and coming back out alive. The odds are in your favor.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 3:12 am 
Edibles? There is a unique feeling to being out there alone...a freeing, independent sense of awareness

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 5:50 am 
Personally I would skip the booze and weed. If you are experiencing anxiety being drunk or high could just help you do more stupid things faster. Focusing on your breath is an effective method of calming yourself. Being really tired from a long hike is usually very helpful in falling asleep. Stay on the trail, except for #2 and don't go too far for that. Take your compass and take a bearing before heading off and reverse that bearing to get back. - seems overkill, but you don't want to suffer Inchworm's fate, who stepped off the trail and couldn't find her way back. Also bring a good whistle. If you've got money to spare , a satellite messenger or PLB would allow you to explore a bit more freely, with less,risk that you'll bust an ankle a hundred yards off trail and never be found. Satellite messengers also let you send an "I'm OK" message daily to people back home so they don't worry. Enjoy the peace and quiet!!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 5:59 am 
Learn to "Levitate"...that way you will be floating far above any possible danger.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SKS

SKS
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:05 am 
Do it!