Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 6:43 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Personally I would skip the booze and weed. If you are experiencing anxiety being drunk or high could just help you do more stupid things faster.
No chance. One enhances my day and the other helps my nights.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 7:30 am 
It has been quite some time since I hiked and camped solo, but also spent more than one day. Back then I seldom met anyone on the trail. I dont know the area you are going to be in but I doubt you will not meet someone you could camp with for the nite.

JPH

JPH
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 7:32 am 
Bring something to entertain yourself at camp. When I'm solo and moving it's great, but when I'm just sitting at camp it can get a little boring if I don't have a book or something. It's not like you haven't had all day hiking solo to collect your thoughts.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 7:43 am 
Jordan wrote:
No chance. One enhances my day and the other helps my nights.
To each their own, personally I use methods derived from this tradition to more fully enjoy life in the mountains and in town. Hiking itself can be experienced as a "walking meditation"

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 8:19 am 
If you have not been out solo on an overnight before, you should consider Randy's suggestion and eschew any mind-altering substances. Allow yourself to tune into the sounds of the night in the dark - some of them can be quite interesting. Sometimes the lack of any sound is the reward. But that's up to you. No reason to get all worked up about spending the night alone out in the woods. As mentioned above, people have been doing it for thousands of years. Being with other humans out in the wilderness is a pain in the ass; you have to compromise on go-to-bed times, wake-up times, hiking times, meal times, and after a couple days they start to smell bad. You're much better off on your own. Leave the cell phone, PLB, GPS, headphones, and all that jazz in the car. Take your map and compass, and food. Lots of food. Eat well, sleep well. Way mo' betta solo. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 8:58 am 
There is this website, nwhikers.net, maybe you could find an alternate hiking partner there. I can't provide advice on what you do while out hiking, I don't smoke marijuana or eat pot edibles or whatever. I backpack solo all the time and love it. I can move at my pace and do what I want. It also makes it easier to find a camping spot as there's only 1 tent footprint to work to accommodate, not more than one.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:14 am 
xrp wrote:
I can move at my pace and do what I want.
^ An astute summation of the benefit of going solo.
xrp wrote:
It also makes it easier to find a camping spot as there's only 1 tent footprint to work to accommodate, not more than one.
^ Thinking back on it, there has been more than one place I've laid down my sleeping pad and bag in a spot where there was room only for one.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am 
Jordan wrote:
Any advice?
Pack a book or 2 or 3. If you aren't a birdwatcher, a solo trip presents a good time to start birding. Fish the high lakes. Solo backpacks are good for the spirit. Weed and distilled spirits are a matter of personal choice, of course.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:33 am 
Solo backpacking is fantastic. You can go where you want at whatever pace you choose, you control the whole experience (well, all that parts that are under human control anyway). For getting a good nights sleep while solo try to setup camp near running water. The white-noise it provides is really calming and prevents you from focusing on random twig snaps or other noises you might dwell on when camped somewhere totally silent.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 9:52 am 
Yes...what Opus said, although the running water sound can make you want to urinate more frequently, especially if you imbibe in spirits before retiring to your tent.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 10:43 am 
Leave someone a detailed itinerary, don't deviate from it, and let them know that if they haven't heard from you by X day/time, they should call law enforcement. Coincidentally this morning I was just reading about 2 different searches for different lost hikers. There is such a huge effort in terms of search and rescue, and of course those people are potentially risking their own safety as well as donating their time, money, etc. Their families have an awful lot of blame for the various land management agencies and law enforcement branches for not starting sooner, coordinating better, using the right kind of dog, all kinds of stuff. http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/more-than-100-search-for-hiker-missing-in-olympic-national-park-since-april/ and http://www.yakimaherald.com/news/local/searching-for-closure-families-of-missing-hikers-looking-for-answers/article_da3d0ca4-32e4-11e7-9405-c38c07e56681.html For years I poo-pooed the idea of a PLB but I now think differently and in fact before my husband's more recent solo trip I asked that we get one and he use it. It can potentially not only help out the hiker but prevent or at least aid the huge searches that result from a lost person. (I know they are not foolproof). I think about all these searchers, the angry families, the lobbying of their elected officials and the likely lawsuits against land management agencies. I know many don't believe this technology is in the spirit of their endeavor, and hopefully they do leave detailed itineraries and have discussed with their loves ones how they'd want them to respond in case they go missing. Besides having a PLB or leaving a detailed, accurate itinerary--know what you are doing, stay on trail, don't take extra risks. You are your own A team. Search and rescue is the B team.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:15 am 
There is no better way to get over being spooked solo than just going solo. Decades ago I was feeling uncomfortable on a night hike but then broke out into an old burn area, turned off my light, and marveled at the star show above. That was my turning point; I sat and explored what I was afraid of, then put those things aside. Since then I have enjoyed 30 years of hiking solo, including off trail and night. Experience will lessen your anxieties and some day you will wonder why you were ever uncomfortable.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am 
Solo backpacking is great, for all the reasons mentioned above. I always leave an itinerary, and before I got an InReach, I NEVER deviated from it. Now I might deviate, always keeping the husband updated via InReach on deviations. I always stay on trail when I'm solo (except for #2, as mentioned - and yes, turn around frequently and look back where you've come from when heading off for a poop break). I bring headphones for at night when I'm alone, and often listen to a podcast while falling asleep. Those cracking twigs can seem menacing! The first night's the hardest. Get through that and the sunrise in the morning will make everything oh so much better. smile.gif

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 12:09 pm 
BTW - 1. You're unlikely to see a ghost unless you converse regularly with the spirit world, so to speak. And if you do, my guess is you wouldn't be as scared of ghosts. 2. No such thing as aliens. 3. No such thing as zombies. 4. 99.9% of animals are scared of you, by instinct. So relax!

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 12:23 pm 
I've been solo for almost 12 years, it's really about perception. One thing I did that helped was to use a green snap light that protected my night vision that if I woke up in the middle of the night I could see around my immediate vincinity yet the snap light did not disturb my sleep.