Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:01 pm 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
I think the whole point of solo backpacking is to really get away from it all. And I mean ALL of it. Schedules, compromises, distractions, rules. You get to live in your own time, as you feel is right at any given moment, and have the freedom to make every choice on your own terms. This is, for most of us, a rare way of life and one to be discovered with a great sense of revelation when it's a new thing. You might only get to do it a few times a year but the feeling lasts through the dark days of winter and sustains you as you think about the hiking season to come. Pay attention to the details of the land. Lie down and study the flora. You will want to have someone to share it all with but you will do that when you get back. In the meantime, look at everything and see how it all fits together and revel in the fact that you're the only person there and you're in a world that is only yours for a while. When you're alone you can appreciate these things at your own pace, and that's valuable.
That is definitely my kind of hiking. Leaving it all in the truck. Was even thinking about not wearing my watch and just living by the daylight.

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:04 pm 
KekistaniProphet wrote:
Advice? Reach down, find your balls and do it
Would not be going out without it

none
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 9:16 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Was even thinking about not wearing my watch and just living by the daylight.
I don't own a watch and my phone gets turned off and stowed in the pack. Who cares what time it is? Well, I might if I intend to wake up and take sunrise pictures, but otherwise the rule of the clock is ended on my solo trips. I love soloing and look forward to at least one solo trip/year. The only time I've ever really been freaked out was when it started snowing in the middle of the night (This was mid October) and as the snow built up on the tent it would slough off in patches and make a kind of "whufff" noise as it slid down the rain fly and then a soft "thump" when it hit the ground. I didn't realize it was snowing or what the hell was going on when I woke up in the pitch black and heard that noise. I had myself convinced a bear was sniffing around the edges of my tent for about 15-20 heart-racing minutes. This was a rare hike that I didn't have a dog with me as I was in the Enchantments. I don't know whether having my dog with me helps me stay calm or not but I do know he'd alert me to the presence of any large animals in the immediate vicinity. One night as we lay next to a small lake watching the stars a Coyote started yipping and howling directly across the water from us. My dog howls at sirens in the city so I thought he might join in but he just sat and stared out over the water towards the source of the sound and never made a peep.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 am 
Eschewing certain gear is not a condition of a solo backpacking trip. Duh. Pack whatever you want to pack. Duh. My longest solo trip was 11 days back in the late 1980s. I had a map, compass and watch. It was great. I saw only two other parties days 2-10. I never got the heebie jeebies -- maybe because I had a wrist watch to protect me wink.gif

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 2:20 pm 
Jordan wrote:
Was even thinking about not wearing my watch and just living by the daylight
One of my favorite trips was the Spider/Image Lake loop alone under the full moon. My headlamp bulb died the first night, which ended up being great! I usually prefer going solo unless I will be getting into more difficult off-trail terrain or scrambling to a summit. Enjoy!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 6:47 pm 
The hard fear I had to learn to turn off way vehicle being broke into, and or worse. Crossing icy bridge at namesake creek in the dark caused me to focus, but never worried me like the car.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
meck

meck
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 7:45 pm 
Not much to add (but gonna add anyways): Backpacking solo is fun, but as others mentioned, it will probably make you a bit more conservative in your risk assessments & choices (as is needed). Fear of "bumps in the night": If an axe-murderer or alien (or <insert other crazy danger here>) is gonna get you at night, it is gonna get you no matter what since it will have the element of surprise on sleeping you, and you will die, that's that. So now that you know that you have no chance against that possible "danger" wink.gif , you can let it go and worry about those things you can control. Ear plugs are great. Practicalities from my experience: 1. Since you will be solo (no one to call to, to find your way back to camp), having some reflective webbing/tape/line or cord tied to the top of your tent and pack can make them easier to spot at night, after answering the call of nature, with a flashlight. 2. Mini-binoculars are really useful in route-finding (above treeline) and observing wildlife. I always take a pair. 3. In addition to a whistle (carried with you), a small signaling mirror is good to have. 4. Trekking poles & extra webbing or tie straps: many discussions about whether folks like to use them or not, I like them. When offtrailing alone I view the poles as an insurance policy. If you injure a leg, using the poles, or part of a pole, along with webbing or other tie straps, you can fashion some sort of splint to at least give yourself the chance to self-extract, or reach a more visible location for rescue.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:09 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
The only time I've ever really been freaked out was when it started snowing in the middle of the night (This was mid October) and as the snow built up on the tent it would slough off in patches and make a kind of "whufff" noise as it slid down the rain fly and then a soft "thump" when it hit the ground. I didn't realize it was snowing or what the hell was going on when I woke up in the pitch black and heard that noise. I had myself convinced a bear was sniffing around the edges of my tent for about 15-20 heart-racing minutes.
Had the exact same thing happen to me one October in the Pasayten. Most adrenaline my system has ever absorbed in one night. FWIW, I don't think it would have been any less disconcerting if I hadn't been solo.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Aug 03, 2017 8:24 pm 
meck wrote:
1. Since you will be solo (no one to call to, to find your way back to camp), having some reflective webbing/tape/line or cord tied to the top of your tent and pack can make them easier to spot at night, after answering the call of nature, with a flashlight.
This is an excellent idea. up.gif ~z

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 11:07 am 
zephyr wrote:
meck wrote:
1. Since you will be solo (no one to call to, to find your way back to camp), having some reflective webbing/tape/line or cord tied to the top of your tent and pack can make them easier to spot at night, after answering the call of nature, with a flashlight.
This is an excellent idea. up.gif ~z .
A better idea is to leave the flashlight in the tent, turned on of course. It's a rare night when you actually need a light at night...much better to have the tent glowing so you can find your way back. My habit is to carry two lights--one headlamp I use for reading in the tent, and one tiny penlight I hang from a clip in the top of the tent. That way I can turn on the overhead light when I go out, and have the headlamp in case I actually need some light outside.

meck

meck
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 5:18 pm 
@ texasbb: I like your idea too about the tent light-up. I usually go with two lights as well so I'll try that next time. I'm used to camping typically in the trees so I usually don't have much moonlight to work with when answering nature's call.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 7:57 pm 
kiliki - The search for Kris Fowler (aka Sherpa) has been ongoing since last year when he disappeared. Kris was hiking the PCT and disappeared last October. His family has been supportive of the effort of the SAR groups, Sheriff department and all the volunteers looking for Kris. There are over 6000 members on Facebook who are helping in any way possible to help bring Kris Home.

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:46 pm 
meck wrote:
2. Mini-binoculars are really useful in route-finding (above treeline) and observing wildlife. I always take a pair.
What kind do you carry? How do you carry them? Around neck? In pack? Thanks for the post of interesting tips, tricks and takes. As a ridge top camper, I id more w/txXbb; reason the need for light at night.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 8:57 pm 
what's with all the high tech for taking a leak? Use a pee bottle and never have to leave the shelter of your tent (or hammock tarp).

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostFri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm 
Or just get up and pee; nothing's going to happen. How far do you need to walk from your tent to do it? If you need to have a squat in the middle of the night (I never do, and the human body generally follows that rule) and want to make it easy have your dump site picked out beforehand and pre-dug if you're going for maximum efficiency and ease, and enjoy it. I cherish crapping in the woods. Logs belong amongst the logs. I always lay a cross of sticks over the freshly-buried grave to mark my passage. And I appreciate a fine view for the process. When conditions permit I prefer stripping down to the naked state to really get the feeling.