Forum Index > Partners > Stevens Pass to Manning Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
canadug

canadug
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 2:20 pm 
Plan to take the Amtrak Bus from Seattle to Stevens Pass on Aug. 16th. Hiking from Stevens to Stehekin for re-supply. Staying one or two nights at Stehekin. Hoping to average about 15 miles a day and maybe more depending on a pair of feet that sometimes get a bit sore. Then from Stehekin to Manning.....Likely about a week's worth of travel. Been climbing and hiking all of my adult life in the Cascade Range and am psyched to have a couple of weeks to explore some more. Hope to cross paths with some great people. If anyone will be out that way and would like to hike together for one day or more that would be cool.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:11 pm 
Leaving to early for me. Giving you a heads up. There is a new fire near the Suiattle river road on section K. Yesterday the Pct was closed because of it. It has gone from 20-70 acres in a day and with the weather it could really get out of control. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8025012

canadug

canadug
PostMon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 pm 
Thanks for the heads up. I looked but not find any info about that fire closing down the PCT? Where did you find that info? Have a couple of friends hiking through that area now. Thx

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 12:28 am 
Sorry got mixed up monitoring 2 fires on the Pct. The fire near Jefferson Park has closed a 11 mile section of trail. Pcta.org has a list of all current closures. https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/trail-conditions-and-closures/

canadug

canadug
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 2:26 pm 
Whew! Things are heating up big time though.....Fingers crossed this mucho heat does not make it way way worse.

Adohrn

Adohrn
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 11:23 pm 
After buying all my food and then finding out about the Suiattle fire yesterday my brain just boinked. There is a pretty easy way to bypass this area. Just go on the east side of the mountain which for years was the official redirect of the trail until they put the new bridge across the Suiattle. Irons trip report which is pretty much the gold standard. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7978583 My trip which Iron inspired. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8007828 The key elements are make sure to take the Indian creek trail off the Pct. The white river trail no longer exzists no matter what your map shows. 2 Fording the napeequa river can be ankle deep or impassable. Time it depending on the weather your getting. 3 the napeequa river valley is technically off trail till you hit the top of high pass. The boot path is a reasonably good trail. You won't get lost. 4. When leaving the valley go left not right of the creek then up through the slide alder. Find the trail through, if you have done it right its very obvious your on a trail. Do not try to bushwhacked your way up unless you like pain. 5 This year there will be a sketchy snow field at the top of high pass. See my pics it will be worse this year. Hit it late in the day and have an ice axe.

canadug

canadug
PostWed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm 
I will be on the PCT which has no issues......

liveloud

liveloud
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:23 pm 
hello, im interested in your trip to manning park . if like to share your trip exp, please feel free to contact me. Tee