Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSun Oct 07, 2018 9:01 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Have been buzzed many times throughout years of traveling in the Central Cascades and seen a fairly wide variety of aircraft.  Unfortunately, other than the pics below (which are terrible) I've never been able to catch any on camera.

13planesformation
13planesformation
14planecloseup
14planecloseup

Those are scans of 4x6 film prints taken in 2007 with a fairly wide angle lens, so really couldn't get much closeup detail and had to really zoom in on the print, thus the crappy quality.

Anyway, I was sitting on the Temple enjoying the views of Mt. Daniel and the surrounding lakes & valleys when these planes came up the Cle Elum River from the South.  They broke formation and proceeded to fly all around the nearby peaks and ridges as if they were mock dogfighting or playing cat-and-mouse.  This went on for about 20 minutes or so, during which time one of them flew between me and Mt. Daniel at about my elevation, which is where I got the more close-up picture.  Then they all flew up to a higher altitude, formed up and flew off to the North.

I'd never seen planes like that before and there wasn't quite as much info on the 'net as there is now so it took awhile to figure out that they were T-45 Goshawks which is a trainer used by the Navy and Marines.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC

cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:32 pm 
They come over here a couple, two, three times a week, depending on weather.  I tend to think of the  flyovers in terms of $s.  I can usually hear each plane for about 30 sec or so and there are almost always 2 planes.  Average fuel consumption of F-18s is about 20gpm, x about $2/gallon jet fuel, x 2 planes: about $80 to $100 for the (mostly audio, sometimes a little video) show.

--------------
No matter how cynical you become, it's not enough to keep up.  Jane Wagner/Lily Tomlin
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
pcg

pcg

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 pm 
The last two times I've been to Maple Pass I've been buzzed by this falcon. Anyone else had this experience?

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 11:29 pm 
I've never been buzzed by a falcon, but many times by military aircraft in the Glacier Peak and Alpine Lakes wildernesses. When I was a pilot I noticed the visual routes on the charts that went through my hiking terrain, and now anyone can see them easily on Caltopo: FAA sectional map near Stevens Pass. Look at VR1355 (light blue line), which heads to Mt David, then passes right by Glacier Peak. It heads towards Whidbey NAS. Every time they buzzed me, they were heading roughly northbound. If you do a search on VR1355 flight routes, you get some interesting YouTube videos.

There are also some instrument flight routes in the area, line one near Dome Peak, plus another visual route in the same area. I'm not sure if the instrument routes get used often.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:17 pm 
Buzzed by two jets ( F-18s I assume). Suddenly flew over as I was getting water at upper Box Creek on the Carne Mountain High Route on October 17, mid-morning.  I couldn't get my camera out quickly enough to snap a shot, but knowing they fly in pairs, I should have gotten the second plane. They either tipped their wing  ( unlikely they saw me) or were just flying sideways in a high speed banked turn.  I didn't see them for more than about 5 seconds each, as they  were flying low over the ridges from over one larchy basin into the next.

Maybe they like the color gold!

--------------
Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:33 pm 
Buzzed today near Hartís Pass.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere

Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:44 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Buzzed today near Hartís Pass.

Isn't it somewhat unusual to see them that far North?

One of the things I've remarked upon about the Pasayten is the absence of airplanes flying over, both low-level military and high altitude passenger.  Not that you never see them, but they are far less common than in the Central Cascades which are under heavily used commercial routes and frequent military flights.

--------------
Photo Portfolio
some names

some names

PostSun Jan 27, 2019 5:12 pm 
Jan 25, we were snowshoeing on Bowen Mtn near Winthrop. One went past us, low, as we started out in the morning. We waved, but it didn't dip its wings, recognize us, or slow down for pictures. Another came by in the early afternoon as were on the summit . . . this time we recognized the sound and guessed right for once as to where to look. Still, only enough time to point and shoot the camera a few times before the flypersons in their rocket sled were gone around the corner of Bowen Mtn, likely off to do a quick Loup Loup loop . . .

Bowen Mtn on a winter day, a pretty place to watch things hurtle by . . .

2019 Jan 25,  On Bowen Mtn, heard a rumble . . .
2019 Jan 25,  On Bowen Mtn, heard a rumble . . .
Labeled
Labeled
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Another view . . .
Another view . . .
Labeled . . .
Labeled . . .
A closer crop . . .
A closer crop . . .
Last view . . .
Last view . . .
A closer crop.
A closer crop.

--------------
somesignaturehere and somesignaturethere
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack

Serving suggestion
PostSun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 pm 
I have been buzzed at Fisher Lake.

Now, living just north of Whidbey NAS, I get the up close and personal F18 experience almost daily. Who needs the Blue Angels.  winksmile.gif

I love planes, got to tool around Edwards AFB years ago, saw stealth and other neat stuff up close, before Homeland made it nearly impossible to get anywhere near a base.

Lived just down the road from the retired Blackbirds for a while. Still nothing faster in our skies.

Experienced the double sonic boom directly overhead, as the shuttle came back from space. That will wake you up quick.

Now my back yard is adjacent to a small airport, and I watch the Cessnas defy gravity while I sip my coffee in the morning.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Been Buzzed?
  Happy Birthday Sabahsboy, The NW Explorers!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: